Almonds are Bastards

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by pompeyfan, Dec 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gave my OH a fancy nutcracker for Christmas, shaped like a large silver walnut with "teeth" inside which crack the nut, whilst keeping the fragments inside instead of showering them all over the living room. So far so good. We managed to scoff most of the walnuts, hazelnuts etc but were totally defeated by the almonds. Other than taking them outside and smashing them with a hammer, what is the easiest/safest way to deal with these bastards? Any advice, sensible or otherwise would be welcome!
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Buy them with the shells already off!!!
  3. To be fair to almonds, they aren't 'nuts' and hence impervious to nutcrackers. Drupecrackers, that's what you need...
  4. Almonds split easiest if you stand them on edge lengthways and squeeze across the join.

But Auld-Yins advice is by far the best idea
  5. Sharp blow with a hammer works every time
  6. Being faced with an assortment of nuts and no nutcracker one Christmas I resorted to Molegrips - they work exceedingly well.
  7. My grandad used to use a hobbin foot and a hammer, damn site easier than nutcrackers.
  8. Yep, molegrips; adjust to accomodate the kernel without crushing it. Better than any nutcrackers known to me.
  9. Four at a time in a bench vice.

If you don't have a bench vice, try lining them up on your local railway line when the next train is due.
  10. A vice works quite well, though time consuming, and you can stop just when the shell cracks rather than continuing and destroying the kernel!

Alternatively, I can get you 1kg bags from my work. Peeled and everything!
  11. Thanks for the advice folks. Molegrips certainly seem like the way forward. To Auld Yin (ever the pragmatist), I'm not that desperate to EAT the almonds, the satisfaction of cracking the sods outweighs any eating pleasure :) Happy Hogmanay!
  12. Yup, squeeze the sharp edges and they split just fine. If you squeeze the larger, flatter areas, you're there all night.