"Allyness Saves Lives"

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Lead_Isotope, Mar 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does it?

Interested to hear your thoughts on this.
  2. Yes and no. If a soldier thinks and feels himself to be a better soldier because of the way he looks then maybe he will perform that little bit better. On the other hand as long as he has the right kit and equipment it doesn't matter what he looks like as long as he knows how to use it. He could look ally as a WWII fallschirmjager or as unally as a Royal Marine. It's mostly down to his personnel skills, his commanders and as mentioned, his kit and equipment of how he performs on the ground.
  3. Most uber-ally troops end up in some sort of glorious phyrric slaughter (Arnhem, Crete, Thermopolae, etc) or political failure (Selous, RLI, 'Nam, etc), so perhaps its an inverse relationship?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Yeah it's true, being dressed in everything less British Army issued equipment makes you a better soldier.

The wearing of the beret with the capbadge over the left ear and an overhang at the front makes you appear to be particularly switched on.

With long sideburns and an unkempt appearance people may actually think that you are a member of SF.

Boots purchased from that fella in the EestEnd of London are soooo cool too.

Who gives a shit about dress regulations anyway? Hey man - there's a war on, get real - this is not the time for bullshit!
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  5. Well it certainly did with the CO of 2 PARA. After appearing on the most Ally thread on here, he was so inspired he single-handedly attacked a group of a Terry who, it appears, were in the process of laying an IED. They were so surprised by his allyness they failed to hit him with an RPG (OK, it nicked his leg which was presumeably dressed in MTP rather than Ally DPM) and bounced off his MTP Osprey.

6. Conversely I have met far too many - 'all the gear and no idear' types.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Makes sense. You are in The Royal Anglian Regiment afterall :)
  8. I'm glad some-one else mentioned that well known cliche

however, Fallschirmjager sums it up pretty well & saves me typing further...
  9. Sometimes "Allyness" makes a soldier believe he is wearing the ultimate ally kit...the cloak of invincibility, which usually ends in tears.
  10. Usually? Have any examples?
  11. Doesn't the good book tell us "Look good - feel good, feel good - fight good, fight good - stay alive?" Therefore Allyness does indeed save lives.

Then again, being a Tank Commander, it kind of comes with the job...
  12. I think it can sometimes, if a bloke has confidence in his kit he will generally perform better than someone who is constantly worrying about bits falling off or whatever. Although I think a lot of kit issues have been addressed now, there will always be people who will splash the cash on their own kit rather than wear issue gash. But as has already been said, "look good, feel good" It can breed confidence.
  13. In your Mastiff.
  14. Cough cough !! who you mixing with