Ally

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by MervthePerv, Oct 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Where did the term ally come from and when, in my day 80's-90's it was Cabbie or Cabby
    it means same thing,,,Most cabbie thing i had was a pair of Danner boots, but that was cos the issue boots were toss, i remember a bloke no names mentioned who sewed an assult vest together on a 12 hrs plane flight to Kenya, thing is there were two 44 pattern water bottles under each arm and he walked around like he had 2 rolls of carpet under his arms lol. anyone got any stories similar?

2. Someone (poss 5A, or VG) gave a great explanation of "ally". Can't remember where it was though? It was something to do with new aluminium parts for something IIRC, but could well be wrong.

3. i thought it was ally cool when 1st heard it

4. I'm sure I heard one about it being Arabic for shade and ally berets are ones that are pulled over your eyes. Might be on Arsepedia.

5. berets over the eyes look wank lol

6. I think it's probably a contraction of "allakeefik" which is Arabic for laid back or not giving a damn. I can't be bothered to look through the entire link so that's just my two penn'orth.