Allied plans 1918?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Suddick, Sep 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did the Allies have a plan in 1918 for an offensive or were they content (after 3rd Ypres/Nivelle) to sit it out until 1919 when the Yanks would be there in numbers?

I do not recall seeing anything about plans that were interupted by Op Michael/Op Georgette and the initial success of these German ops seems to have more than just caught the Allies of guard.

Any pointers?
  2. Op Michael/Op Georgette and the rest destroyed the German army, the follow-up led the Allies to victory, maybe not planned but showed greater operational flexability than subsiquent historians give Haig credit for. Once the Hindenburg line was broken it was 'game over' - defeat on the battlefield despite what the Austrian house painter and his mates would have you believe
  3. Would that be the plan to continue with total slaughter until everyone's dead except Field Marshal Haig, Lady Haig and their tortoise, Alan?
  4. you know of it too?
  5. Read 1918 The Last Act by Barrie Pitt.

ISBN 0 333 38377 X
  6. Crabby - The British Army in 1918 was probably the best trained and best led Army we have ever put into the field.

If you want to find out why I say that read the many books by many bright sorts that have totally debunked the so called view of history put forward in the '60's.

Course if you want to persist in your small minded views go and watch 'oh what a lovely war' again and eat some yoghurt.
  7. If you're looking for Crabby he's down Refreshers trying to pull one of the crack whores
  8. For some really good detailed maps and info please go here.

The Battle of Amiens, August 8th 1918.

The Battles of Amiens, Bapaume, and the Scarpe : Allied line between August 8 and September 8, 1918.

British Attack on the Hindenburg Line between Cambrai and St. Quentin, September, 1918.
  9. Public apology to Crabby. He was being ironic.

Given his other posts showing both wit and knowledge I should have known better.

Note to self - do not get on high horse after eight cans of imported Grolsch.
  10. Which posts are you bloody reading?

1918 ended up turning out well for the British and was almost definitely going to be the year the war ended - but not how they expected. The German advance was the final fling (think battle of bulge in 1944!) which once again pushed the allies towards the edge and gave some very hairy moments, but they were not as close to breaking point as they had been in 1914 and 1916. Yet the number of troops, the training and the equipment was such that they could make up the ground lost in very short time. Casualties in 1918 were similar to those on the first week of the Somme, but were publicly acceptable due to the area of ground taken in the offensives.
  11. Thanks JW - I understand about the Kaiserschlacht and the 100 days. I hope the book covers what the Allies were doing and planning when the Hun struck in Mar 1918.
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

As I understood it there was to be a massive offensive in 1919 when enough Yanks and Tanks could be found in France but as it happens the Germans liked to go out with a bang!
  13. Agree with Maple's first post. Haig's case for being a good general rests with his well-conducted offensive in 1918. Took good advantage of the enemy's weakness after he had shot his bolt. Though might have been different if they had the quality of troops pre-michael.

But as I understand the initial stance in 1918 was to await the German offensive which was known to be coming and see how the situation developed. Also Lloyd George kept Haig short of troops, believing him to be a butcher after Ypres, thus restricting immediate offensive options.

Given the offensive minded-mentality of the Cavalry Generals, I can't see them being content to wait out a complete year for the yanks to get in gear. Plans there would be, resources maybe not.
  14. I need to re-read '1918 The Unexpected Victory' by J H Johnson. If I remember rightly everyone bar Haig thought the best policy was to hold the Germans over the winter and then have a big spring offensive using the US Divisions which would by then be in place and trained. Haig took the view that the Germans were near to collapse and couldn't survive a winter.

Casualties in 1918 were the worst of the war, though how many were due to the Kaiserschlact and how many to the general advance I can't recall.
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thanks for that, are they even worse tha the big set piece battles of 1916 and 1917?