Allergic to Penicillin

JoshMillss said:
I was wondering if being allergic to penicillin would affect my medical?
I'm scared shiteless!
No problem. You just get an extra dog tag to look even sexier.

No problem at all, the docs just give you euryomisin.... (no way I can spell it properly!) instead.

Mr_Deputy said:
ah yes you'll need a tag.

it must be quite hard being allergic to pencillin in fact - does it cause you many problems?
I'm in the same boat and have never had a problem

They just give you the alternative

AAAAHHHHHRRRGGGGGHHHHH......oh.

As an aside, The med tags are longer and therefore manlier...!! :D

F_G

Have a good weekend Y'all, i'm off to get myself into trouble!

Ian1983 said:
Mr_Deputy said:

it must be quite hard being allergic to pencillin in fact - does it cause you many problems?

or inject the stuff anyway and worry about the risks later (as many people with a penicillin allergy had a slight reaction to it as children, others swell up like red baloons - ice cream optional)

bet you cant beat this - im allergic to Euythrymicin, which is the substitute for Penicillin.

Have been since i was 2 years old.

And mores the point, how the hell did the docs find that out? (according to my mum, they gave me some for an ear infection and my tongue swelled up and looked like a slug, which is nice.).

Mr_Deputy said:
Daede said:
bet you cant beat this - im allergic to Euythrymicin, which is the substitute for Penicillin.

Have been since i was 2 years old.

And mores the point, how the hell did the docs find that out? (according to my mum, they gave me some for an ear infection and my tongue swelled up and looked like a slug, which is nice.).
I'd be tempted to try it on the 'old chap'

although swelling can be painful....so I'd need to down a bottle of brandy before/during
you'd like that to look like sluggy?

must wash my mind with bleach....

lanky said:
No problem at all, the docs just give you euryomisin.... (no way I can spell it properly!) instead.
I'm allergic to both just to be that extra bit special haha.

Father_Gundulph said:
Nope. I am too. You just get a "med tag," to wear for when you're on exercise / ops.

No drama's! :meditate: And relax!

F_G
Same here. Never affected me. :)

ERYTHROMYCIN.

theoriginalphantom said:
Ian1983 said:
Mr_Deputy said:

or inject the stuff anyway and worry about the risks later (as many people with a penicillin allergy had a slight reaction to it as children, others swell up like red baloons - ice cream optional)
I wonder how many people are dangerously allergic to it

Penicillin allergy occurs in approximately 1-10%. However life-threatening problems are rare - anaphylaxis (bad reaction requiring other treatment) occurs in about 15-40/100,000. Death in about 1.5-2/100,000.

Mr_Deputy said:

I have been allergic to pencillian since i was 18 (over use as a child) ie: neurotic mother shovelling down shit loads of medication to us kids cos we either had a snotty nose or the odd spot ... its been a pain at times, because certain infections can be cured by the simplist penicillian, were'as like me, ive often had to have a combination of pills ...just to do the trick! heaven forbid getting a dose of the clap! (penicillians dream) id be buggered (litterally) JJ

Ian1983 said:
theoriginalphantom said:
Ian1983 said:
Mr_Deputy said:

I wonder how many people are dangerously allergic to it
Another allergic-ee; found out when I was a nipper with some ailment or something, my lips blew up making me look like a Spitting Image puppet.

Erythromycin is commonly prescribed for those allergic to penicillin. I understand that an actual allergic reaction to erythromycin is actually very uncommon although a bad reaction and side effects of nausea and vomiting are fairly widespread. For those affected, clarithromycin is suitable. It was developed to overcome the side effects of erythromycin but is otherwise similar in function.

Guess how I know this! :puker:

Hypno85 said:
lanky said:
I'm allergic to both just to be that extra bit special haha.
If they tell you that you're allergic to vancomycin as well you better have a short chat with the mess Webley. It'll be less messy.