Allegiance to qualify for Jubilee / Coronation medals

Discussion in 'Medals' started by ex_donkey_man, Mar 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering if there is a key part to the qualifications?
    Basically, I have found out through the Home office that I should qualify for the QDJM in one of my current part time roles. This is mainly through time served (6 years) in the regular army. However, it appears that I do not have to be "Sworn in" in my new role to qualify (Only those taking criteria form one role must have been sworn in on ro before 7th Feb 2007).

This got me thinking, is this because I have already sworn allegiance to the Queen when I joined the forces? Therefore, one pledge accounts towards the accumilated service factor.

I do have an interest in Jubilee & Coronation medals, (1887 onwards) but can't find any information on this little subject. I'm that only members of the parade in 1887, 1897 & 1902 were eligable for the medals and I don't even know if there was a time served policy. It also appears that it was down to the local government to dish them out, but obviously police, military and royal household members came in to this somewhere.

Any offers of help from the historians amongst you?!
  2. Im still serving, will get the medal and never swore allegiance.
  3. Shouldn't think so, no one in the RN swears an oath of allegiance and we still get it.
  4. The medal rolls are in the post to UINs this evening!
  5. Sprogs do
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not swear allegiance? Really, we did at the ACIO and it was also part of the passing out parade!
  7. Erm yeah, we don't stand to the loyal toast either...

The only time I've sworn for allegiance was when I joined the Cub Scouts!

I believe the RNP swear to uphold the law but that's a new thing to bring them inline with RMP and RAFP.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We didnt stand to do the toast either but toast we did!
  9. Toast! I haven't had Ffrench toast for years.
  10. I took the oath of alligence when I joined in the 90's! So I guessing that for a few of you in the Navy, you can tell an officer to ram it and then say "Well I never said I'd serve under them"!
  11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The DIN doesn't mention being sworn in or oaths or anything else. It says 'in effective military service' on 6 Feb 2012 and having five years service prior to that. WRT the MOD Emergency services it says: 'in effective paid MOD service, retained or in a voluntary capacity...' I'd imagine those organisations outside the MOD would have something similar.
  12. From Wikipedia so maybe sus but:

"Persons enlisting in the British Army and the Royal Marines are required by the Army Act 1955 to attest to the following oath or equivalent affirmation:
    I... swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, and of the generals and officers set over me. So help me God.
    The same oath is made by recruits to the Royal Air Force under the Air Force Act 1955, with the substitution of the words "air officers" for "generals". No oath of allegiance is sworn by members of the Royal Navy, which is not maintained under an Act of Parliament but by the royal prerogative, or by Royal Marines officers, who unlike their Army counterparts are not enlisted before they are commissioned. There is also no Oath of Allegiance to join the Army Cadet Force."

I believe that the Royal Perogative will cover the bit about serving under officers. Sure the ACF officers will get medals too.
  13. Most of them behave like it though.........
  14. Since the intoduction of JPA all servicemen have an 8 figure number. Therefore the RMAS OCdt 8 to 2Lt 6 no longer occurs. When JPA was introduced people kept their number, and no more changes.
  15. Pre-JPA service numbers for RN were as such:

Occifers: C######X
    Ratings: D######X
    Marines: P0#####X
    Wrens: W######X
    Where "#" equals a number and "X" a letter.

Now all new recruits service numbers are 3#######, meaning I can't tell if whoever's service number I'm looking at is any of the above categories. If you joined before JPA (like me) you keepped your old number, unless you asked for a new one, like a couple of transvestites that are now serving and are entitled to free medal replacements with new numbers to prevent showing they used to be of the opposite sex. I'm surprised some RN officers don't do it to hide the fact that they were once ratings and still have a ratings number.