Alleged theft from Barracks..........

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by top_soldier, Apr 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the words of the Ministry of Defence "It would be inappropriate to comment further until the investigations are complete."

2. Kit always going missing, thats what kit insurance for, Last time I went on tour I lost a PS3, a 50 inch Plasma TV, A pool table and a portable Jacuzzi.

Although in reality its nothing new and normally the easiest stuff to pinch because no-one realised for 6 months.

3. My wife used to work for one of the airlines.... reports of missing luggage usually included at least one Rolex, hi spec Camera etc several tonnes of jewellery..... One obvious low-life had just finished listing the contents of her Gucci/Prada suitcase when the bag appeared.....contents of the string bag, one plastic beach ball. At least she had the balls to argue that her bag had been switched...

4. Can someone with more current knowledge than me explain why Mod Plod are investigating these thefts and not RMP

5. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Probably Outsourcing to save money :D

6. It could be that their wider duristiction may be appropriate in these circumstances.

7. Most MOD bases use mod plod. That leaves service police to get on with the job of policing servicemen/women.
    Faslane used to have a big problem with the gear of the at sea bomber crew going missing as they knew they had three months plus before anyone returned. The signal to stop nicking was the next bomber going out!

8. As airlines advise against placing valuables in checked baggage,this woman should have been cfuked off at the outset.

9. According to the BBC:-
    The investigation centres on Edinburgh's Redford Infantry Barracks, home to troops from 3 Rifles battalion and the Scots Borderers.
    It is alleged the items went missing from sealed boxes inside the barracks while troops were on a tour of duty.

Before I fire up the RMP Association Outrage Bus complete with blues and twos it may be that the BBC or even the MOD spokesperson have got it wrong and erroneously substituted MDP for RMP, it's not unknown after all. But according to the Beeb, the thefts happened within barracks. Barracks are guarded by soldiers and are homes for soldiers to live and work in. Edinburgh has a detachment of well trained Special Investigation Branch investigators whose raison detre is to conduct criminal investigations among soldiers. If there appears to be civilian suspect(s) entering the frame then there are established procedures for the investigation to be passed to the local CID (or MDP). What concerns me is if RMP have thrown out the baby with the bath water and passing reports of criminal activity in barracks early in the piece to Mod Plod. Bear in mind that MDP are outside the chain of command and cannot bring cases before the military judicial system. In Scotland anyone charged by Mod Plod will be prosecuted by the Procurator Fiscal and if soldiers are suspected (and that may well be the case) then the military chain of command will not get a look in. Such events normally only occur with murder or rape in the UK. :rmp:

10. Barneyman states: Most MOD bases use mod plod. That leaves service police to get on with the job of policing servicemen/women.
    Faslane used to have a big problem with the gear of the at sea bomber crew going missing as they knew they had three months plus before anyone returned. The signal to stop nicking was the next bomber going out!

I'm aware of the RN and in some circumstance the RAF calling in MDP however, that ain't the Army's way of doing things. In an Army garrison the MDP look after the married patch and deal with crime by civil servants (there ain't much of that). :rmp:

11. I thought most army mq patches were on the army base anyways? is there not a conflict of powers between RMP and mod plod then?

12. I have always had concerns about the boxing up of kit and leaving it in stores. This is not the first time it happened. One camp had all the boxes removed by a truck. Dont know what the out come of that was. At a former unit we had to put packing lists on the outside of the boxes. One of the other SSMs spotted this and informed the QM that the packing list was like a shopping list.

Also theft from stores is not the only problem, as I have seen boxes chucked about. Large scale items damaged and stuff acquired till the owners got back. Also sometimes the QM will dish out four boxes expecting that to be enough.

If you live in and you box stuff up you never expect to see it again on return. Last six month tour my kit went into private storage, where I know it will be looked after. Plus it is insured by the storage firm.

13. I was lead to believe that 1 Scots (RBS) were based at Dreghorn Bks????

I agree this 'does' occur & continue to occur when unit's are away on Ops, not that it makes it acceptable!