Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alleged SAS War Crimes Report

Interesting comment in the 'Australian Defence Force Magazine' which seems to sum things up.

"Punishing hundreds for the alleged actions of a few.
Punishing those hundreds prior to anyone actually being charged, tried and convicted.
Seems it's more important to placate the media than to actually mete out justice in an appropriate manner."

Correct. And 2 Sqn has been removed from the ORBAT rather than disbanded. A new squadron is to be constituted, AIUI.
Which no doubt will consist entirely of personnel previously in 2 Squadron. But hey, they wont have any battle honours or unit citations so problem solved Angus.

To be perfectly honest, I scratch my head over that considering that in all probability of a lot of the personnel from 2 Sqn would constitute a large component of whatever the new Sqn is called.
I think it is a case of marking the ORBAT so that every time someone looks at the SASR wiring diagram they will see the inconsistency in naming the squadrons and, if they know the reason be reminded, or if they don't know the reason they will ask and learn.

The sort of thing that happens when someone looks at the SAS wiring diagram and asks what happened to C Sqn.

But I could be wrong.

Last edited:
I think it is a case of marking the ORBAT so that every time someone looks at the SASR wiring diagram they will see the inconsistency in naming the squadrons and, if they know the reason be reminded, or if they don't know the reason they will ask and learn.

The sort of thing that happens when someone looks at the SAS wiring diagram and asks what happened to C Sqn.

But I could be wrong.

"C" Sqn was the squadron raised by Rhodesia for service in Malaya, they retained the nomenclature after they finished their one and only tour there, it was nothing untoward as far as I know.

"C" Sqn was the squadron raised by Rhodesia for service in Malaya, they retained the nomenclature after they finished their one and only tour there, it was nothing untoward as far as I know.
C Sqn was disbanded at the end of their tour of Malaya in 1953, When the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland decided to raise a European regular infantry battalion, an armoured car sqn and a Parachute sqn. They decided to call the parachute squadron 'C Squadron Rhodesian Special Air Service Regiment.' It remained at squadron strengh until 1 June 1978 when it became 1 (Rhodesia) SAS Regiment of three squadrons until it was disbanded on 31 December 1980.

Absolutely nothing untoward, I should have explained my point further. No parallel as far as reasons go, but at first glance an anomaly. Mind you, is there a British Corps or Regiment without anomalies?

C Sqn was disbanded at the end of their tour of Malaya in 1953, When the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland decided to raise a European regular infantry battalion, an armoured car sqn and a Parachute sqn. They decided to call the parachute squadron 'C Squadron Rhodesian Special Air Service Regiment.' It remained at squadron strengh until 1 June 1978 when it became 1 (Rhodesia) SAS Regiment of three squadrons until it was disbanded on 31 December 1980.

I personally know 5 NZ and Aus SAS troopers who resigned in the early/mid-70s and went and served with C Sqn, their reason for doing so was that there was nothing going on after VN.
After their enlistment period, they all went back to their own respective forces and signed on again.

Interesting comment in the 'Australian Defence Force Magazine' which seems to sum things up.

"Punishing hundreds for the alleged actions of a few.
Punishing those hundreds prior to anyone actually being charged, tried and convicted.
Seems it's more important to placate the media than to actually mete out justice in an appropriate manner."

Did you miss the bit where it's written:

"This action reflects no judgement on the current members of 2 Squadron, Special Air Service Regiment, but we all must accept the wrongdoings of the past.
Current members of the squadron will be reassigned to other sub-units within the Regiment. A deliberate implementation plan will be developed to support this
."

What are you actually complaining about?

Last edited:
Did you miss the bit where it's written:

"This action reflects no judgement on the current members of 2 Squadron, Special Air Service Regiment, but we all must accept the wrongdoings of the past.
Current members of the squadron will be reassigned to other sub-units within the Regiment. A deliberate implementation plan will be developed to support this
."

What are you actually complaining about?

loud noises, clouds in the sky, kids on his lawn...

Thanks for that Caecilius, but page 58/59 of the 81 page document you linked seem to state 'Operational Support Squadron (basically a Training Squadron) is one of the 4 Squadrons mentioned in the Orbat. It shows the new buildings being RHQ, 1sqn, 2sqn, 3sqn.
How about this one? Or did Brig. Beutel also make it up when he said there are 4 Squadrons?
E46380C3-F7E2-4F88-BE9C-D45DC57BDFE1.png

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
How about this one? Or did Brig. Beutel also make it up when he said there are 4 Squadrons?
He's being oddly insistent about it for someone who's only got their knowledge from the internet. But that's Arrse for you.

Last edited:
I pulled a number that "could" happen. Soldier F is close to it.
The point is anyone can make up any number to justify their point.
Much, much less likely though. Hence my comment.

Much, much less likely though. Hence my comment.

So is 10 years, but that didnt stop someone from using it as an excuse to blanket punish people

So is 10 years, but that didnt stop someone from using it as an excuse to blanket punish people
You are of course entitled to your own opinion but...not your own facts. It's been explained to you how the process can slow down things. How long has the Bloody Sunday farrago been running?

You are of course entitled to your own opinion but...not your own facts. It's been explained to you how the process can slow down things. How long has the Bloody Sunday farrago been running?

It was sorted out 3 months after the incident. If the Army took action after that, then what would the problem be?
Appeals, retrials, double jeopardy and all that bollocks is irrelevant to the CDF issuing blanker punishments.

Latest Threads