Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alleged SAS War Crimes Report

Never believe anything you read in the main stream media - unless you have first hand experience because you were there in person when x or y happened. Everything else is either speculation, lies, an opinion or just plain bullshit.
The MSM are nothing but biased liars and are always pushing an agenda (which seems to be a lefty agenda nowadays). The age Australia is a High left wing propaganda media organisation.

BLU-97

Old-Salt
Never believe anything you read in the main stream media - unless you have first hand experience because you were there in person when x or y happened. Everything else is either speculation, lies, an opinion or just plain bullshit.
The MSM are nothing but biased liars and are always pushing an agenda (which seems to be a lefty agenda nowadays). The age Australia is a High left wing propaganda media organisation.

Left leaning they most certainly are and BRS will have his day in court, as he is suing them for libel.

However, the Brereton report is most definitely going to be uncomfortable reading for many and is quite possibly going to lead to war crimes being referred to the AFP.

There is a saying that those who ignore the lessons of history are bound to repeat them. When I read the above linked media report and previously having read the allegations reported on the ABC web site (still there for anyone who cares to read them) which kicked off the whole investigation I am strongly reminded of Ken Connors book, "Ghost Force" where he wrote about the problems infecting the British SAS Regiment due to its structure and development.

Special forces must be one of the very few units where official command and real command can be separated, at least tactically and if rigorous care is not taken, administratively. Where power in the unit lies with the NCOs' as there is no long-term posting for officers there is the danger that things can slide southwards.

It is also well known that the constant rotation of forces into a conflict can lead to problems with observing the rules of engagement. Australian special forces were used extensively in Afghanistan and Iraq. These units are not large and by necessity were used in constant rotation. If a careful watch was not placed on their performance and adherence to the rules of engagement then these problems will occur.

@mrdude you may question the messenger but there is very strong evidence that the SASR committed war crimes. There is also strong dissatisfaction in the Australian Army over the sidelining of the infantry in Afghanistan to favour special forces in combat operations that were within the competence of infantry units. What comments have been made so far about the report would seem to suggest that it has looked at not only the incidents that gave rise to the investigation but the response from higher up the chain of command. My own belief is that the report should also look at what was known politically because some of the pressure to use special forces constantly, I believe, has arisen there.

Left leaning they most certainly are and BRS will have his day in court, as he is suing them for libel.

However, the Brereton report is most definitely going to be uncomfortable reading for many and is quite possibly going to lead to war crimes being referred to the AFP.
Maybe you should read this,

Pretty much all of the claims are baseless and bullshit - just some civvies trying to get free money - and left wing media trying to make a buck with some bullshit claims. These 'stories' you are reading were not written by anyone that was in Iraq/Afghanistan. They are written by weirdo journo's that don't have a clue about anything other than soy latte's and the latest corduroy menswear.

Last edited:
Boy, are you in for a surprise.
Nobody trusts anything the MSM (Fake news) has got to say anymore, everyone can see the the Bias and the agenda they push and everyone is sick of it.

Masters and McKenzie and the Murdoch press have been pushing this for a number of years now as have the ABC and have staked their reputations on it. Especially as Ben Robert- Smith VC is sueing them for libel. The hounding of BRS is a case of 'Tall Poppy Sndrome'.

At the end of the day any war crimes trials will have to be proved by the prosecution to a standard of 'Beyond Reasonable Doubt' by the Prosecution. The Defence doesn't have to prove anything. The Prosecution will have to produce any camera footage which is likely to be sparse, forensics will be non-existent with any bodies long buried and decomposed and any witnesses for the prosecution being grilled by top barristers for the Defence.

I doubt if there will be any convictions.

Maybe you should red this,

Pretty much all of the claims are baseless and bullshit - just some civvies trying to get free money - and left wing media trying to make a buck with some bullshit claims. These 'stories' you are reading were not written by anyone that was in Iraq/Afghanistan. They are written by weirdo journo's that don't have a clue about anything other than soy latte's and the latest corduroy menswear.

Apart from the war crime the British Army convicted in Iraq?

Masters and McKenzie and the Murdoch press have been pushing this for a number of years now as have the ABC and have staked their reputations on it. Especially as Ben Robert- Smith VC is sueing them for libel. The hounding of BRS is a case of 'Tall Poppy Sndrome'.

At the end of the day any war crimes trials will have to be proved by the prosecution to a standard of 'Beyond Reasonable Doubt' by the Prosecution. The Defence doesn't have to prove anything. The Prosecution will have to produce any camera footage which is likely to be sparse, forensics will be non-existent with any bodies long buried and decomposed and any witnesses for the prosecution being grilled by top barristers for the Defence.

I doubt if there will be any convictions.
Tell that to the (Royal) Marines.

Nobody trusts anything the MSM (Fake news) has got to say anymore, everyone can see the the Bias and the agenda they push and everyone is sick of it.

I haven't read Australian news, nor watched news on TV for over 18 months.

My view comes from horses mouth(s), albeit from the east coast mob deployed in cross-postings

The hounding of BRS is a case of 'Tall Poppy Sndrome'.

Again, prepare to be surprised. Perhaps even very surprised.

Reports up through the CoC came from juniors through to seniors, all with the same information about the same individual(s) and referring to the same operations.

The overwhelming majority of the evidence has come from serving members of the Regiment (and, to a lesser extent, 2 Cdo.).

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Prosecution will have to produce any camera footage which is likely to be sparse, forensics will be non-existent with any bodies long buried and decomposed and any witnesses for the prosecution being grilled by top barristers for the Defence.

Helmet cam footage has been released of an SASR operator apparently executing an Afghan teenager.

Either way, the point of the report isn't to secure individual convictions. It's to highlight a broken culture that needs to be changed.

Helmet cam footage has been released of an SASR operator apparently executing an Afghan teenager.

Either way, the point of the report isn't to secure individual convictions. It's to highlight a broken culture that needs to be changed.

How dare you. They're 'eros, one and all.

And anyway, they're taliban, they'd do the same to us.

Plus the Geneva convention and LOAc doesn't apply when we're playing big boys rules.

Etc, etc, etc.

Re the above posts, yes the MSM in Australia on the whole are biased; probably the least biased is The Australian newspaper. This evolving story has been regularly covered in a factual way in The Australian, with the ability to post comments online. I am going to have to stop reading the comments though, as many posters appear unhinged, much in line with @alfred_the_great above. However, there was one online comment which I made a point of saving and it endorses what @Banker says above. Here it is, from the horse's mouth:

I’m an Afghanistan vet (Army) and have been interviewed by the inquiry, I’m no armchair expert and can testify to the anxiety and angst that occurs through my involvement. I’m also extremely pleased that it’s occurring.

Those of you who are excusing potential war crimes are the ones doing the vast majority of the ADF a disservice. Most of us went over there with an aim to do good, most of us acted morally and legally regardless of the conditions we operated under. To suggest that the killing of persons under capture, to plant false evidence, to kill civilians under what are clearly not combat conditions is normal, acceptable or excusable is grossly offensive to that vast, vast majority of us who continued to act with integrity.

You condemn armchair experts when you yourselves are exactly that. While you may think you’re speaking on our behalf your not. This inquiry was instigated from within the ranks of the SF who were shamed and disgusted that these alleged acts occurred in their names. Who are you “experts” to say that’s wrong?

Our laws of engagement were clear and the inquiry has stated they aren’t investigating fog of war actions. Yes, there are a number of complexities that need to be examined especially in relation to the over deployment f certain elements so again this inquiry is a positive step in that direction.

If crimes have been committed they need to be investigated. There are a lot of assumptions that commentators here are working under regarding the complexities of fighting an insurgency (not guerrilla war as some of you suggest) that you seem to believe excuses the killing of civilians or prisoners, most of these are wrong and ignorant.

the pressure to use special forces constantly, I believe, has arisen there.
My Step-brother-in-law(!) is serving with the SBS, hardly ever at home and when he is his mind is elsewhere. They have no such thing as a work/life balance.

FAKE NEWS,FAKE NEWS,FAKE NEWS,FAKE NEWS

The story should read - left wing media organisation releases another anti government and anti forces story on 'hearsay', with no proof other than what some lefty thinks would make good reading for other lefty's.

Ritch

LE
I haven't read Australian news, nor watched news on TV for over 18 months.

My view comes from horses mouth(s), albeit from the east coast mob deployed in cross-postings

You'll have to forgive him. All he does all the time is spout on about the MSM being liars.

I've just stuck him on ignore. I can read this thread in peace now.

The story should read - left wing media organisation releases another anti government and anti forces story on 'hearsay', with no proof other than what some lefty thinks would make good reading for other lefty's.

It's a shame you choose such an asinine approach to a very serious matter.

Perhaps, once you've read the official report, you'll do the decent thing and apologise for your utter stupidity. Something tells me you won't, becuase you are clearly a cnut.

Latest Threads