All UK Airports Closed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dangerousdave, Apr 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. UK airports - including Gatwick and Heathrow - have been closed after a massive cloud of ash from a volcano in Iceland drifted into UK airspace.

Thousands of flights across the UK have been cancelled leaving passengers facing massive disruption.

British Airways has cancelled all domestic flights and there are no services at all in Scotland.

Military flights through RAF Brize Norton Oxfordshire, the main airbridge to Afghanistan have also been axed.

An internal BA memo obtained by Sky News advises pilots: "The safety of our customers, crew and aircraft is of paramount importance and will not be compromised."

Air space across the whole of the Britain could be closed completely by the end of the day.
  2. The receptionist in the Med Centre is in denial. She was meant to be flying back to the UK tonight. Guess she wont be now.
  3. I thought it was just overcast.....
  4. Considering a 747 became the biggest glider in the world a few years back after flying through an ash cloud in Indonesia, I think it is a wise decision.

Am I right in thinking that this could also cause problems when breathed in as well??
  5. First, they help balls up the economy, now they're making sure we can't leave the country to get away from the chaos here :D
  6. Conspiracy theory time. In order to sneak an unofficial strike under the radar, BA workers have set off a large bomb in Iceland in order to trigger a volcanic explosion.
  7. Its going to be so dilute if or when you finaly get to breath some in that you should consider walking up your average high street more of a hazard. Unless of course you plan to take yourself up in a hot air baloon and get your head right in it
  8. Bloody Kerry Katona....
  9. Volcanic ash is basically tiny shards of glass that rip through the engine. Most encounters with ash clouds don't result in a plane going down but frequently mean very expensive repairs or replacement of aircraft engines.

I wouldn't worry about breathing unless it's thick enough to actually see it. The primary danger after a large eruption of the type of volcano in Iceland is the sulphate aerosol smog than can result - tiny droplets of sulphuric acid that irritate the lungs. After Laki went up in Iceland in 1783 (and kept going for about 8 months) most of western Europe was sat in a fog of it and people died. Wouldn't worry about this eruption in that sense.

Depending on it's height, ash sediments out due to it's mass in hours to days, or rains out even faster.
  10. "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control. I trust you are not in too much distress."

Captain Eric Moody, BA Flight 9, 24 June 1982

Lest anyone should wonder why Moody is a legend:

"As Flight 9 approached Jakarta, the crew found it difficult to see anything through the windscreen, and had to make the approach almost entirely on instruments, despite reports of good visibility. The crew decided to fly the ILS, Instrument Landing System, however, the glideslope was inoperative, so they flew the localizer as the first officer monitored the airport's DME (Distance Measuring Equipment). He then called out how high they should be at each DME step along the final track to the runway, creating a virtual glide slope for them to follow. It was, in the words of Captain Moody, "a bit like negotiating one's way up a badger's arse"."
  11. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

All true, but on the flip side, it means the other half is stuck in europe at work and can't get back for another day...

roll on the end of the working day, i can hear the pub calling drowning out the fun police as i type.. :D :D :D
  12. Fairly ironic that this grounding has been caused by polluted air 8O
  13. a classic example of - 'every (volcanic) cloud has a silver lining?'

that my coat?.... cheers, taxi!
  14. First they steal our cod, then our money and won't give it back, now they shower us in dust. What did we do to offend them?
  15. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

It was a bloody misprint. They should have been sending CASH over!