Reference Image All Tracked Personnel Carriers & Universal Carrier Pictures here please

Turreted Universal Carrier with 20mm Gun

If that's the same museum I'm thinking of, they've got a reputation for... er... being creative!
If people remember, there was a P40 found out in the desert. The Sgt pilot wandered off and was never seen again. The IWM tried to bring it back to the UK to display it as found as a memorial to the pilot. The Egyptian authorities refused to let it go and it ended up in this museum with an abortion of a paint job and a stupid airscrew.

Last edited:
If that's the same museum I'm thinking of, they've got a reputation for... er... being creative!
If people remember, there was a P40 found out in the desert. The Sgt pilot wandered off and was never seen again. The IWM tried to bring it back to the UK to display it as found as a memorial to the pilot. The Egyptian authorities refused to let it go and it ended up in this museum with an abortion of a paint job and a stupid airscrew.
Should have been kept as found.
D9hVIYnWkAAuzY0.jpeg.jpg

Can any one tell me what radio fit and type of antenna the Halftrack in this picture is likely to have been fitted with ?
Still sourcing bit's for my rebuild and have most of the mechanical parts now......just starting to gather the "bling" bits that will hopefully make it close in looks to this early REME Halftrack...... I have wonky and U/S Sherman road wheels and want to make her look lived in and used not a pristine ,shiny as it left the factory one .....although her previous REME life has ensured this would take considerable amount of new repro parts if I wanted an "as New" one .

It was probably one of those very one's , it was then fitted with the Mk2 version crane and hard top .
The hard top saved some of the interior in later life left outside .
I want to keep it's REME history but don't fancy driving round with a bloody great crane jib sticking out the front at junctions .
That photo is from a Pictorial History of 2RTR that's being produced by a mucker of mine from the Regt.
In order as seen Ajax, Badger and Cyclops LAD on parade Munster @ 1955. At the time the Regt was equipped with Centurion and Conqueror

I think it's a tribute to the strength of the original IHC M5's that they survived well into the 70's with having Meteors hung on the front of a jib mounted on the front bumper and side armour....little wonder mine has cracks in a few places .

Can any one tell me what radio fit and type of antenna the Halftrack in this picture is likely to have been fitted with ?
Still sourcing bit's for my rebuild and have most of the mechanical parts now......just starting to gather the "bling" bits that will hopefully make it close in looks to this early REME Halftrack...... I have wonky and U/S Sherman road wheels and want to make her look lived in and used not a pristine ,shiny as it left the factory one .....although her previous REME life has ensured this would take considerable amount of new repro parts if I wanted an "as New" one .
Post some pics of your 'track! Surely it would have had standard 19 set AFV bases for most of it's working life?

What parts are you looking for?

This guy has the standard US mount to allow the canvas top to be in place. Your manuals will show if the IH ones had these in addition to the M2/3 models.

All categories

The base is on the second page. Interesting that most of his 'airborne' items arnt!

Last edited:
In standard M5A1 configuration the radio and antenna are above the fuel tank directly behind the driver as you can see here. Looks like a SCR set, but I suspect the 19 would have been put there also. As REME changed things it may have got repositioned of course.

20190715_102530.jpg

Post some pics of your 'track! Surely it would have had standard 19 set AFV bases for most of it's working life?

What parts are you looking for?
My Halftrack is currently in about 3 different locations .......something not unique to many long term restoration projects......
I have most of the parts now .....need an IHC surge tank for the coolant system .... all the repro ones are for Whites , Dizzy T or Autocar versions.
Both Ivo's at BAIV are on speed dial as are Jaap and Joop ...... As in all things she has an ability to absorb money and time faster than I can earn it..... fortunately my wife is enthusiastic about my mistress and is pushing the project on as much as I am .
I did start a thread with a few pictures ......

You have all the usual suspects covered! No doubt you will be trawling the stands at W&P. I'm going, but not with the M3.
All my stuff is G102 I'm afraid.

BTW what are you doing with your fuel tanks? Going to replace one with one of the BAIV ones, but for the other I'm thinking of making a much small unit in capacity for areana events etc. Wont waste so much fuel due to it going off. It will look the same though. Pour a Jerry can in a full size tank and it hardly covers the bottom!

BTW what are you doing with your fuel tanks? Going to replace one with one of the BAIV ones, but for the other I'm thinking of making a much small unit in capacity for areana events etc. Wont waste so much fuel due to it going off. It will look the same though. Pour a Jerry can in a full size tank and it hardly covers the bottom!
I have one repairable original and just managed to buy another NOS one from Belgium .
The BAIV ones are good ....speak with Snr and Jnr Ivo's alot ;-)
I agree with you in that I will run one tank most of the time and bypass the two way fuel tap that has a habit of leaking .
I might cut open my other original tank and put a half size stainless one inside so I have the option of using that at shows where you do a few miles at best.
It's surprising how much G147 original stuff is still out there ....convinced some of the dealers drip feed it onto the market ;-) .
I will try and get to W&P as it's local ....hope to drive Pollyana there next year !!!!! but also works busy and I need to earn money to feed the Halftrack habit .... so will be in and out all week .
Have a good one !

Be careful with originals. I have heard that unleaded/bio fuel eats them. Mine seem ok, but dont want to be driving with a load of blokes on board and have a big failure. o_O
That's why I'm swapping mine out, will keep the originals but run on new. The ethinol content might go up to 10% very soon. Running on a small tank will help with condensation too, as ethinol attracts moisture.

Might see you there!

Last edited:

Latest Threads