All this talk about ration packs got me thinking

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by ugly, Jul 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Careful I know but when I travel to outdoor events we often take a chiller (ok till its opened) and have some meals prepared which we can throw in a pan on the burner. I have thought about using boil in the bag or making my own even.
    I came across this product Boil-a-Bags in freezer bags at the Lakeland Store Live
    And I was wondering if I used a vacuum sealer how long would cooked food keep compared to issue boil in the bag stuff which has about a 5 year life? I could vacuum, seal and freeze but its the lack of a chiller for long periods which makes me interested in the shelf life of home made boilies!
  2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

You should try it and see - I'd say that more than 24 hours and you're going to be emergency room material with brown rain squirting from one orifice and green yellow jets coming from the other.
  3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

If you own a vacuum sealer, start a business. Vacuumed sealed stuff will keep for 20 years or more. Little gritty stuff what it is. Just add hot water and wait. Or get impatient and it will swell in your gut and you will not be able to move for a day or more. Your shout.

Boil In The Bag is best left to Tesco shoppers in my view. If one needs a damp wet thing to supplement ones diet, invite a chum into ones tent, top him and eat the ******.

But then, there is the issue with hair, bones and teeth. **** me. Travelling to outdoor events is a right hassle, eh?
  4. To be fair that sounds more appetising than some Slop jockeys have "Prepared"!
  5. There's loads of American stuff about bottling and canning food on the Internet. It seems they are more into this than we are.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well seeing as the 2 i/c wont touch compo and I dont really want to pay shop prices (I also like her cooking, 23 years and I must be immune now!) for boil in the bag posh meals. I may slip a quick compo boilie in front of her this weekend. See how she likes it!
    I dont have a vacuum sealer but have been looking for one for quite a while now and set my heart on one from lakeland.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have some of Kieth Erlandsons books on the subject, I bought it for the smoking section (I have a bradley) and also he was a god in dog training and a viking!
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

When I get the vacuum sealer I'll give it a go, must have a set trial series of dates to eat dodgy meals by!
    Update will be forthcoming eventually!
  9. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

I can recommend the following after getting a taste for Thai instant noodles - not the crap you see in Tesco's in the cup noodle aisle - these a fantastic and pretty cheap too.

Shin Ramyun (Hot & Spicy) (

Tom Yum Koong Rice Vermicelli (
  10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Do a Google on American Deep Fat Turkey Friers. Yeah, I know. One or two logistics issues. But where else can you get something that will either take out your entire family in an air-burst conflagration, or deliver a succulent turkey dinner?

Pot Noodle has its fans I hear?
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have seen the turkey friers. Not my cup of tea but there are some good websites out there but I am looking for something simpler that I can prep in the weeks before and wam up in a boiling pan on my ozpig.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk and piggy fingers
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'm avoiding instant noodle type meals as they use water and whilst its not normally an issue I'd rather have a meal than an instant thingy.
    That said I'm not averse to cooking rice fresh so to speak but I will aim for a boilie type in the future.
  13. Wouldn't it be safer to buy a 12V/LPG freezer?
  14. Or google 'look what we found' for cheaper boil in the bag stuff.