All things Ox & Bucks, KRRC, RB, GJ and RGJ

Mate, did the two halves of the battalion swap roles during the tour, so they could all get UN duty?

I know that documentary has been discussed endlessly, but I find it fascinating every time I watch it. Some of the things that have always struck me whenever I've seen it:

The length of everyone's hair. I know it was the 1970s, but still.

The platoon Commander, Mr Smith, seems to wear his whistle cord (lanyard) with his smock.

I'd forgotten how small the RGJ officers ranks were! It's really only the positioning that distinguishes a 2Lt from a Maj at any distance greater than 5 feet.

Great coats were still khaki instead of grey in the 1970s. Thought that had gone out with Battle Dress.

The Coldstream CSM who has been brought in to help prep for their Public Duties stint is only sporting an LSGC. I know that the Irish Guards didn't deploy to Ulster for many years, but a bit surprised to see a long serving WO without a GSM.
Platoon Commander, Mike Smith was later CO 4 RGJ.
Top bloke, few years later I was at Warminster when he drove past, clocked me and another screw, reversed up to us and hot out for a chat.

Early morning, bored, stumbled upon this thread (I'd served in 4RGJ (V) (after leaving the Regs, RA) and did an "S" Type with 1RGJ. So sees the link for that book, thinks I may just get that. £835.99!!!!!!!o_O Amazon product
Top bloke on the cover, did Herrick as a grunt, then went back with The Times as official War Artist.
He had en exhibition at the National Army Museum couple of years ago, gave a well attended talk.

Beer was consumed...

Platoon Commander, Mike Smith was later CO 4 RGJ.
Top bloke, few years later I was at Warminster when he drove past, clocked me and another screw, reversed up to us and hot out for a chat.

I remember Mike Smith from the seventies in Dover. I was a Rifleman in B Company. He commanded a platoon in A Company at the time. He was a bit of a star in the documentary they made about the battalion. The Regiment

He was a good lad and quite popular with his blokes. I seem to recall he joined as a Rifleman recruit but was pinged as a potential officer at depot and gained his commission. I also recall a story that his dad was a dustman.

The face on the clip is that of the late Ken Ambrose. A bloody good soldier.

I remember Kenny when I was a Rifleman in B Company in 1RGJ in the seventies. Kenny was the platoon colour serjeant for recce platoon who shared our company lines at Connaught Barracks in Dover. Recce Platoon Serjeant unlike an ordinary platoon Serjeants role was actually a Colour Serjeant appointment. I mention that because I don’t know if it was the same in any of the heavy mobs.

Kenny had no airs and graces about him. He expected 120% and he got it out of his blokes. For a considerable amount of time, he commanded recce platoon without a Rupert including when on tour. He was that well thought of by the COC.

Kenny was also a great bloke. Always friendly and personable and had a smile for everybody. He let you get on with whatever you were up to without interference because firstly he had better things to do and again there was this unwritten rule that you were expected to stand your corner without being chased by anybody to do your job. It was a matter of pride for everybody that we all did that.

Last edited:
Me too!!!

Although I find it kind of hard to believe any book is worth that kind of money to buy but if one is, it might as well be this one! :)
I gave it away for a very worthy reason. About 18 months ago an Austrailian woman went on the RGJ website to enquire if anyone had known her late father who died in a parachute accident while serving with 1 RGJ. He was my best mate andwe buried him in Leeds 50 years ago. Thewoman was only 2 months old at the time and I had no idea he had a daughter. She flew over last April to visit his grave and I met her with her daughter and aunt in Leeds. Her aunt had beengiven a copy of the book by the man who was the CSM back then and who now lives in the far east. I gave my copy to the daughter. Well worth it.

Recce Platoon Serjeant unlike an ordinary platoon Serjeants role was actually a Colour Serjeant appointment. I mention that because I don’t know if it was the same in any of the heavy mobs.

Yup. Bearing in mind I did the Close Recce (Non-Mech) course back in 1992, so my addled memory may be failing, but the Recce Pl didn't have a separate Pl HQ - so the three sections were commanded by the Pl Comd (Lt/Capt), the Pl Sgt (CSgt/WO2), and a Sgt/CSgt. Each section's 2ic was scaled as Cpl, and typically you'd only see four Private soldiers per section.

And yes, CVR(T)-equipped Recce Pls were organised differently, I know...

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I remember Kenny when I was a Rifleman in B Company in 1RGJ in the seventies. Kenny was the platoon colour serjeant for recce platoon who shared our company lines at Connaught Barracks in Dover. Recce Platoon Serjeant unlike an ordinary platoon Serjeants role was actually a Colour Serjeant appointment. I mention that because I don’t know if it was the same in any of the heavy mobs.

Kenny had no airs and graces about him. He expected 120% and he got it out of his blokes. For a considerable amount of time, he commanded recce platoon without a Rupert including when on tour. He was that well thought of by the COC.

Kenny was also a great bloke. Always friendly and personable and had a smile for everybody. He let you get on with whatever you were up to without interference because firstly he had better things to do and again there was this unwritten rule that you were expected to stand your corner without being chased by anybody to do your job. It was a matter of pride for everybody that we all did that.
Bizarrely enough, I had an e mail from Ken yesterday. Very odd, as he died some time ago. Bloody spammers.

I think Ken was either a Rfn of a A/Cpl when I was with him and Brummy Stokes ( and a few others) in a bar/hotel in Kuching. Our regimental band had formed a pop group and were playing there - 'March of the Mods' was playing, when a fight kicked off. It apparently started because one of our blokes ( I believe it was Ted Canty) sparked a remark to a Kiwi Trooper. It was a mega brawl, very wild west style. Upshot was several of us spent the short R/R period hiding from the RMP. But we did get caught.

Ken was a most professional soldier, and, as you said, expected everyone to do their thing to the best of their ability. He was good at "counselling" recidivists too.

huscarl

Old-Salt
I was in Ollie North's private army, the defence platoon, then I was the int cell clerk, then I was approached about joining the RPs & I finished up in the Sigs Plt. I was in F Coy, the Londons for about 6 months, then moved away from London for work. I joined in Summer '96.
You must have been in the Def Platoon after I moved out of London and transferred out of 4 RGJ (V), think Jamie Daniels was CO or was it Peter Luard? Bob West was RSM ( I was on the permanent staff at the time finishing off my "S" type having been posted back in from 1 RGJ). Max was Plt Sjt. Would have been about 92 I think.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

You must have been in the Def Platoon after I moved out of London and transferred out of 4 RGJ (V), think Jamie Daniels was CO or was it Peter Luard? Bob West was RSM ( I was on the permanent staff at the time finishing off my "S" type having been posted back in from 1 RGJ). Max was Plt Sjt. Would have been about 92 I think.

I recall Jamie Daniel as a young platoon Commander with A Coy 1 RGJ. c. 1969 in Tidworth. A good lad.

We did have a few Rhodies sniffing about the local bars trying to get some of us to get over there - They were usually told to do one by the SIB and CSM's , once their presence was known, but a few , bored with BAOR and yet another NI Tour gave it a go, plus we did have a few ex RLI, Canucks, Kiwis and even Aussies throughout the late 70's and early 80's, in 2RGJ.

B Smith joined us about '75 ish and maybe left about 83?

Can't say that I can recall a Mr Husher TBH
Lt Husher was C Coy in Minden.

Would that be Jamie DDDDDDDDDDDaniel who was with 3 RGJ in the early 80's?

Good bloke despite his stammer.

I joined in '95 in the summer. Mike Smith was CO, Phil Ibbotson was RSM.

Latest Threads