All things Ox & Bucks, KRRC, RB, GJ and RGJ

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Or indeed, “Bugle Major ... sound the advance!”
I always loved to hear that, immediately followed by those strident notes on the bugle.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
One command, six movements:

Squad will move to the right, quick march:

1. Squad comes to attention
2. Squad turns to the right
3. Squad steps off (rifle still held by the butt, vertical)
4. Left hand slaps and grabs forestock
5. Right hand moves to position between magazine housing and pistol grip
6. Rifle moved to the trail position / left hand snapped back to left side, resumes swinging, usually in step...

Order may be slightly changed, its been a few years since I did drill like this.

Very efficient use of time.
Been about a hundred years since I did. Not that we ever did much drill in battalion.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Wasn't it the 'bumb, bumb, bumb' - pause - 'bumb, bumb, bumb', of the drum first?...followed by the band and bugles giving it bigs licks?

Ah, yes. That part, but I have a memory of the bugle sounding an alert. Sort of 'de de dah. de de dah. firstly. And then the drums. Could be memory playing tricks of course. It told me today that I could run and jump, and it was wrong.

Ah, yes. That part, but I have a memory of the bugle sounding an alert. Sort of 'de de dah. de de dah. firstly. And then the drums. Could be memory playing tricks of course. It told me today that I could run and jump, and it was wrong.
No, you are correct...That's what we had for the Pass out parade but they didn't put the bugle sound on the link.

Indeed. The clue is in the command: "Bugle Major...Sound the Advance". Be a bit odd if he had a drum. :grin:

Pob02

LE
Book Reviewer
Da da dah, Da da dah.
Da da Dah, Da da Durm.
Boom boom boom ( shun)
Boom boom (turning) boom ( finish turn)
Boom boom boom boom boom boom boom ( step off and band/ bugles start)
Same time left hand across the body and grasps the foregrip of the rifle as left foot strikes the ground
Next left foot strikes ground and right hand grasps rifle between pistol-grip and magazine housing. Right foot the left hand moves back across the body ( having real eased the rifle)
Next left foot strike the rifle goes into the trail.

Thereafter the left arm swings ( belt high only of course).

That is off top of head. Sadly I do have a drill manual somewhere tucked away.......

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
OK here we go. Ignore the rest of the video, it's just red coat chaff. 4:45 into this you'll hear the command and then see the RIFLES lads march off. Note also the bugle call to 'EYES RIGHT' at about 5:23 and 'EYES FRONT' at around 5:49.

Does the heart good!

Ahh, happily dazed indeed." Keel Row" followed by " Road to the Isles" played by 3 RGJ Band and Bugles - still an utter joy.

I've got a WW1 entrenching tool, still encased in its original leather case, with either 8KRRC or 8RB followed by the soldier's 4 digit service number (it's not to hand and I can't remember the exact details). I found it at Hooge where they were only there in the spring of 1915, and where they faced the first ever flamethrower attack. I've been to Winchester to search their records but found no info. I would love to know more about it, but the resources don't seem to be there.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
OK here we go. Ignore the rest of the video, it's just red coat chaff. 4:45 into this you'll hear the command and then see the RIFLES lads march off. Note also the bugle call to 'EYES RIGHT' at about 5:23 and 'EYES FRONT' at around 5:49.

Does the heart good!

Did anyone else notice that at 14:45, Rfn Sharp picked up an award?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Does the heart good!

Couldn’t watch that, a bunch of Walt’s pretending to be riflemen.

Pob02

LE
Book Reviewer
25F57D2F-AB1E-4FD8-97A1-15A35FE34B13.jpeg
25F57D2F-AB1E-4FD8-97A1-15A35FE34B13.jpeg
Capbadge change day. Last Jackets on tour.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well just for you then, here's 2RGJ in Belfast during Christmas period 1982.

Under the screen of that video, when it has reached it's end is a photo clip from 'Soldiers Story'. The face on the clip is that of the late Ken Ambrose. A bloody good soldier.