Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

All the BS that goes with TA training

Yes, I quite agree that there can be a lot of BS, but there are also lots of experiences you wouldn't get anywhere else.

As a civvy would you ever:

Go on a dems refresher course, where the instructor says "What do you want to blow up now?"

Set up an OP in someones garden at 01:00, then spend 15 minutes giggling quietly as the householder tries unsuccesfully to get their little dog to go out for a p1ss? (You had to be there)

Fire an LMG from the hip?

Eat cheese possesed?

Etc.

Tartan_Terrier said:
Yes, I quite agree that there can be a lot of BS, but there are also lots of experiences you wouldn't get anywhere else.

Go on a dems refresher course, where the instructor says "What do you want to blow up now?"

Set up an OP in someones garden at 01:00, then spend 15 minutes giggling quietly as the householder tries unsuccesfully to get their little dog to go out for a p1ss? (You had to be there)

Eat cheese possesed?

Etc.

Was this in the Home Guard?

Don't tell them your name Pike!

It was actually an MG/62 (German MG-1).

We were actually told to try it, and the reason the instructor gave was that we'd probably be tempted to try it at some point, and we might as well learn how utterly useless a technique it actually is.

Man sized target 50 metres away, 50 round belt=5 hits

Tartan_Terrier said:

Explosives are used a lot in civvy street, so the average civvy has probably as much chance as the average TA soldier to get hands on.

Tartan_Terrier said:

I'll bet said garden was not covered by a proper land clearance, so you were probably in as much poo as your average stalker.

Tartan_Terrier said:

Admittedly not very common place in the UK despite what the tabloids say you can play with most things on a stag weekend in Eastern Europe.

Tartan_Terrier said:
Eat cheese possesed?

McDonalds cheesburger anyone?

Having tried to organise walked up shooting (rabbits, pigeon, and crows), deer stalking, and clay shooting at various times in fairly recent history I can assure you that it's a lot simpler in civvy street. Lets not even start on hillwalking let alone canoeing or sailing.

Random_Task said:
Ah but would you want to go hill walking in Afghanistan with a purdy?

Seriously though, when in the last (for example) 60 years, has the TA enjoyed healthy recruiting? (when a platoon really was a platoon etc)

The Miner's Strike...and bloody good attendance too!

In the last 2 years i have been sailing twice, canooing once, cycling once, skiing for two weeks, power boarding and loads more adventure training. For your information i am a lance bombadier not an officer, i suggest you go and talk to your psi's if you want to go adventure training.

Tartan_Terrier said:
Land clearance?

As to the poo, there wasn't that much since the dog refused to leave the house!

Technically you need clearance from Bde or Div level for any training activity that takes place off a military training area even a run round the local park should be cleared. Most of the time it it really simple, but other times it becomes a paper nightmare. If the householder had complained or you had suffered an incident it opens up untold opportunities for administrative action. As the potential for embarassment exists many career minded staff will avoid going out of their way to help.

GoodIdeaAtTheTime said:
Tartan_Terrier said:
Land clearance?

As to the poo, there wasn't that much since the dog refused to leave the house!

Technically you need clearance from Bde or Div level for any training activity that takes place off a military training area even a run round the local park should be cleared. Most of the time it it really simple, but other times it becomes a paper nightmare. If the householder had complained or you had suffered an incident it opens up untold opportunities for administrative action. As the potential for embarassment exists many career minded staff will avoid going out of their way to help.

In that case no problem, the ex took place 100% on civilian territory, and the locals were notified to expect military activity in the area.

Under normal circumstances we'd have asked the owner if it was okay before setting up shop in their hedge, but at that time of night they'd probably have been a touch perturbed to have heavily armed and camouflaged men knocking at their door.

GoodIdeaAtTheTime said:
Technically you need clearance from Bde or Div level for any training activity that takes place off a military training area even a run round the local park should be cleared.

Not in Denmark you don't ;)

msr

msr said:
GoodIdeaAtTheTime said:
Technically you need clearance from Bde or Div level for any training activity that takes place off a military training area even a run round the local park should be cleared.

Not in Denmark you don't ;)

msr

I must admit it sounds like you really get stiffed by bureaucracy in the UK, but even with the relative freedom I have here I have had similar thoughts as yourself msr.

In the end though, it's the fact that as a part-time soldier you get a bit of everything. It's this variety that keeps it interesting, and keeps me from jacking it.

jase2472 said:
i know what you mean mate you do your job then when the mongs are doing re-tests you get spammed for all shi**y jobs!!!!

Jase

Not really commenting on the thread, but just wanted to say that your avatar is outstanding - one of the best i have seen!!!!