All the BS that goes with TA training

#1
Just wondering aloud here, went shotgun shooting yesterday: no red flags, no sentries, no RCA, no RASP, no background activities, no range stew, no butt party, no picking up the brass - and no incidents. Was it worth £50 for 2 hours of fun? Every penny of it, I would suggest.


Talk then turned to hill walking and how it is free of all the ITFAs and ATFAs, likewise skiing - and I was wondering whether this is the reason that the TA is becoming less and less attractive as a part-time activity?

For a small cost you can get almost all the 'fun' things that the TA offers with none of the BS which the army wraps around it and ties it up with.

msr
 
#2
I'm just annoyed at the amount of time that I have been spammed for bone jobs simply because I can do my job properly!

e.g.

Incident 1:

Being only one of two to pass APWT 1st time - Dicked to pan bash then anally clean troop shelter.

Incident 2: Took initiative to clean weapon during a lull - Run around picking up rubbish which means I'm late back to rest of coy where I get a bollocking! 8O

Of course the alternative is to biff which of course leads to "your in your own time now.........." :roll:
 
#5
MSR perhaps its time for you to hand in your kit and join the RBL chatting about what things were like in your day?

Cardinal
 
#6
yeah you think like that then you do a weekend at copehill down and your faith is renewed :D .Though some ****** rents it too airsofters :evil: .
 
#7
People are becoming increasingly savy about how they use there leisure time.

When I'm not in green, I teach people to fly gliders. We've also seen significant changes in attitide to how people want to spend their spare time. Gliding tends to be time rather than money intensive and so people loose interest quicker.

Sign of the times?
 
#8
Green_Homer said:
I'm just annoyed at the amount of time that I have been spammed for bone jobs simply because I can do my job properly!

e.g.

Incident 1:

Being only one of two to pass APWT 1st time - Dicked to pan bash then anally clean troop shelter.

Incident 2: Took initiative to clean weapon during a lull - Run around picking up rubbish which means I'm late back to rest of coy where I get a bollocking!
Peasy.

Get yourself a stripe.

Shite runs downhill, you can then dick others.
 
#9
I think the TA sells itself short, the TA offers potential recruits and soldiers a great deal. For example skiing trips, sailing, rock climbing, adventure training weekends, clay pidgeon shooting and chance to travel. The problem is that the general public dont really know much about the TA, all they hear is that it goes to operational tours to support the regs.
 
#10
Since joing the TA, a few of my friends have joined too, albeit other units. This is because I've been able to give them a balanced view of what it is like to be in the TA rather than being hyped up like what you see on the TV, or the more and more common "You'll be going straight to Iraq". They've joined, they've trained and they've enjoyed themselves and have had no regrets since. Unfortunately the message that you get paid for training, can have a lot of fun as long as you can put up with the BS seems to be lost quite quickly.
 
#11
ben0239 said:
I think the TA sells itself short, the TA offers potential recruits and soldiers a great deal. For example skiing trips, sailing, rock climbing, adventure training weekends, clay pidgeon shooting and chance to travel. The problem is that the general public dont really know much about the TA, all they hear is that it goes to operational tours to support the regs.
To true , try selling the T. A. over here in Germany . Not many people have even heard of us , even though our troop been around for 10 years !
 
#12
If everyone in the TA brought just one friend into their unit, the TA would double in size. Our soldiers are our best recruiting tool. In my unit i have brought in 8 members of my family and 4 or 5 friends so it can be done.
 
#13
Bravo_Bravo said:
Green_Homer said:
I'm just annoyed at the amount of time that I have been spammed for bone jobs simply because I can do my job properly!

e.g.

Incident 1:

Being only one of two to pass APWT 1st time - Dicked to pan bash then anally clean troop shelter.

Incident 2: Took initiative to clean weapon during a lull - Run around picking up rubbish which means I'm late back to rest of coy where I get a bollocking!
Peasy.

Get yourself a stripe.

Shite runs downhill, you can then dick others.
True but it's hardly the right way to encourage people to do well especially if they are relitavly new with not much experience
 
#14
ben0239 said:
If everyone in the TA brought just one friend into their unit, the TA would double in size. Our soldiers are our best recruiting tool. In my unit i have brought in 8 members of my family and 4 or 5 friends so it can be done.
You mean....you have friends.....who aren't in the TA? 8O :?
 
#15
ben0239 said:
I think the TA sells itself short, the TA offers potential recruits and soldiers a great deal. For example skiing trips, sailing, rock climbing, adventure training weekends, clay pidgeon shooting and chance to travel. The problem is that the general public dont really know much about the TA, all they hear is that it goes to operational tours to support the regs.
listen mate ,i want to join your unit,can't remember when i did any of the above,sailing -officer ,ski-ing-officer,clay pigeon shooting,-jnr(when officers can't be arsed ).aah yes,hill walking ,orienteering,all the stuff that costs the army nothing.(jnrs).that really is bullshit in the t.a
 
#16
Yes, I quite agree that there can be a lot of BS, but there are also lots of experiences you wouldn't get anywhere else.

As a civvy would you ever:

Go on a dems refresher course, where the instructor says "What do you want to blow up now?"

Set up an OP in someones garden at 01:00, then spend 15 minutes giggling quietly as the householder tries unsuccesfully to get their little dog to go out for a p1ss? (You had to be there)

Fire an LMG from the hip?

Eat cheese possesed?

Etc.
 
#17
Tartan_Terrier said:
Yes, I quite agree that there can be a lot of BS, but there are also lots of experiences you wouldn't get anywhere else.

As a civvy would you ever:

Go on a dems refresher course, where the instructor says "What do you want to blow up now?"

Set up an OP in someones garden at 01:00, then spend 15 minutes giggling quietly as the householder tries unsuccesfully to get their little dog to go out for a p1ss? (You had to be there)

Fire an LMG from the hip?

Eat cheese possesed?

Etc.

Was this in the Home Guard?

Don't tell them your name Pike!
 
#18
It was actually an MG/62 (German MG-1).

We were actually told to try it, and the reason the instructor gave was that we'd probably be tempted to try it at some point, and we might as well learn how utterly useless a technique it actually is.

Man sized target 50 metres away, 50 round belt=5 hits
 
#19
Tartan_Terrier said:
Yes, I quite agree that there can be a lot of BS, but there are also lots of experiences you wouldn't get anywhere else.

As a civvy would you ever:

Go on a dems refresher course, where the instructor says "What do you want to blow up now?"
Explosives are used a lot in civvy street, so the average civvy has probably as much chance as the average TA soldier to get hands on.

Tartan_Terrier said:
Set up an OP in someones garden at 01:00, then spend 15 minutes giggling quietly as the householder tries unsuccesfully to get their little dog to go out for a p1ss? (You had to be there)
I'll bet said garden was not covered by a proper land clearance, so you were probably in as much poo as your average stalker.

Tartan_Terrier said:
Fire an LMG from the hip?
Admittedly not very common place in the UK despite what the tabloids say you can play with most things on a stag weekend in Eastern Europe.

Tartan_Terrier said:
Eat cheese possesed?
McDonalds cheesburger anyone?

Having tried to organise walked up shooting (rabbits, pigeon, and crows), deer stalking, and clay shooting at various times in fairly recent history I can assure you that it's a lot simpler in civvy street. Lets not even start on hillwalking let alone canoeing or sailing.
 
#20
Land clearance?

As to the poo, there wasn't that much since the dog refused to leave the house!
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top