All tapped out

One for any plumbers.

We've a quarter turn tap in the kitchen. The cold part now runs very slowly, with no pressure to it. The hot is even worse - I can turn it on to run a bowl of water, go for a piss and it's still only half full when I get back. Indeed I can piss with more force and at my age to! Why is the tap like this, it didn't used to be like this?

Answers on a postcard please to...

(and yes I'm asking on here to avoid a £50+ call out charge for a plumber to tell me something which is doubtless simple)

One for any plumbers.

We've a quarter turn tap in the kitchen. The cold part now runs very slowly, with no pressure to it. The hot is even worse - I can turn it on to run a bowl of water, go for a piss and it's still only half full when I get back. Indeed I can piss with more force and at my age to! Why is the tap like this, it didn't used to be like this?

Answers on a postcard please to...

(and yes I'm asking on here to avoid a £50+ call out charge for a plumber to tell me something which is doubtless simple)
I think these sort of taps use a ceramic disc instead of a traditional washer set up. I think the innards are replaceable cartridges, try Screwfix

I think these sort of taps use a ceramic disc instead of a traditional washer set up. I think the innards are replaceable cartridges, try Screwfix
That, or there may be a blockage caused by limescale*, or other debris.

Note: * Do you live in an area prone to limescale?

We had something similar. Multiple tradesman came and kept sucking their teeth. "Ooh these are ceramic washers, non-replaceable... To fix the problem you'll need new taps, it won't be cheap but it's the only way to do it."

Got in a local plumber to take care of a separate issue and mentioned it to him. Five minutes later, discs were replaced. Even did it gratis.

That, or there may be a blockage caused by limescale*, or other debris.

Note: * Do you live in an area prone to limescale?
Sorry for the thread deviation but any ideas how can I get lime and calcium out of my my entire system?

Get a water softener installed. Initial outlay costs are high but saves a fortune in tanks, furred pipes, kettles and other appliances. Also saves on detergents (uses a lot less). Better for your skin if you're prone to eczema/psoriasis.

Sorry for the thread deviation but any ideas how can I get lime and calcium out of my my entire system?
Whole house filter and a softener unit. The softener starts flushing the build up as soon as it is up and running, it is amazing the crap that comes out when you first connect one into the main domestic water inlet pipe. Clearing the entire thing is not instant, takes some time through day to day use.

If you have radiators use a flushing pump if they have them in Canadashire as that helps speed the process with the right chem’s.

For the whole house filter use the biggest housing you can get along with a charcoal filter.

Then under the sink install a small reverse osmosis filter to remove the micro salt crystals from the softened water so it is good to drink and cook with.

We had limescaled pipe samples at college. One was a 54mm pipe with less than a 1cm channel down the center which was not limed up.

Whole house filter and a softener unit. The softener starts flushing the build up as soon as it is up and running, it is amazing the crap that comes out when you first connect one into the main domestic water inlet pipe. Clearing the entire thing is not instant, takes some time through day to day use.

If you have radiators use a flushing pump if they have them in Canadashire as that helps speed the process with the right chem’s.

For the whole house filter use the biggest housing you can get along with a charcoal filter.

Then under the sink install a small reverse osmosis filter to remove the micro salt crystals from the softened water so it is good to drink and cook with.

We had limescaled pipe samples at college. One was a 54mm pipe with less than a 1cm channel down the center which was not limed up.
Already installed a commercial filtration system years ago as my well has an abnormally high iron content.. Before I put it in, if the tub/shower etc wasn’t deep cleaned every 2 weeks they would look like the tub scene out of scarface. Somehow calcium is still present in the system, tried to stay away from a softener as I’m cheap as fcuk, I mean frugal.

Already installed a commercial filtration system years ago as my well has an abnormally high iron content.. Before I put it in, if the tub/shower etc wasn’t deep cleaned every 2 weeks they would look like the tub scene out of scarface. Somehow calcium is still present in the system, tried to stay away from a softener as I’m cheap as fcuk, I mean frugal.
No other way around it.

People go on about those 'magentic' & 'electro magnetic' softeners, meh! I have yet to be convinced.

I had a look at them a few times at trade shows and had sales oik's giving me the spiel. It sounds plausible, but............

If you want to give it a go I can tell you how to make one yourself:

1. Get a couple or three metres of coated single strand electric wire, about what you would find inside a two or three core cable.

2. Before the water inlet pipe splits off for hot water and cold water neatly & tightly wrap the wire around the pipe for about 6 inches. Stick some lecky tape over the wire to stop it unravelling and then go back over the wire with a second layer of wrapping and lecky tape again. When you have finished you should have what amounts to a copper coil over the pipe with two wires sticking out so that if you apply an electric charge it becomes an electro-magnet.

3. Find, steal, acquire an old phone charger, cut off the jack plug (or not*), connect up to the 2 loose wires on the coil and hey presto you have an electro magnet. This does black magic fing's to the calcium particles in the water and [allegedly] stop's limescale deposit's.

I did it on one house, found some gash wire and a gash charger and plonked it in place. That is all these magnetic softeners are, I have looked at them, prodded, poked and insulted the rep's selling them. I even told a couple at the NEC I had made my own, they just shrugged and had to agree it was easy enough rather than spending the 70 quid they were charging.

Note: * Find a corresponding jack socket and attach that to the loose wires so all you need to do is plug in and out to make the circuit.

Magnetic Water Treatment directs water to pass through a strong magnetic field. By placing two strong neodymium magnets on either side of the incoming pipe, all thewater passes through a strong, uniform magnetic field. Magnetic water treatmentdoes not remove any calcium from the water.
A magnetic water softener uses electromagnetic coils to separate certain particles that cause hard water, such as calcium and magnesium, from the water. It iseffective only on water that comes within the reach of the magnets. Magnetic water softeners do not use salt to soften your water.

No other way around it.

People go on about those 'magentic' & 'electro magnetic' softeners, meh! I have yet to be convinced.

I had a look at them a few times at trade shows and had sales oik's giving me the spiel. It sounds plausible, but............

If you want to give it a go I can tell you how to make one yourself:

1. Get a couple or three metres of coated single strand electric wire, about what you would find inside a two or three core cable.

2. Before the water inlet pipe splits off for hot water and cold water neatly & tightly wrap the wire around the pipe for about 6 inches. Stick some lecky tape over the wire to stop it unravelling and then go back over the wire with a second layer of wrapping and lecky tape again. When you have finished you should have what amounts to a copper coil over the pipe with two wires sticking out so that if you apply an electric charge it becomes an electro-magnet.

3. Find, steal, acquire an old phone charger, cut off the jack plug (or not*), connect up to the 2 loose wires on the coil and hey presto you have an electro magnet. This does black magic fing's to the calcium particles in the water and [allegedly] stop's limescale deposit's.

I did it on one house, found some gash wire and a gash charger and plonked it in place. That is all these magnetic softeners are, I have looked at them, prodded, poked and insulted the rep's selling them. I even told a couple at the NEC I had made my own, they just shrugged and had to agree it was easy enough rather than spending the 70 quid they were charging.

Note: * Find a corresponding jack socket and attach that to the loose wires so all you need to do is plug in and out to make the circuit.
The entire system from where the well feed enters the basement until it hits a manifold that splits between cold feed and hot water heater is black poly green stripe pipe. Would I need to install a section of copper in the line before the manifold to wrap the wire on?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The entire system from where the well feed enters the basement until it hits a manifold that splits between cold feed and hot water heater is black poly green stripe pipe. Would I need to install a section of copper in the line before the manifold to wrap the wire on?
Shouldn't think so, the wire coil creates the magnet the Pex/Poly piping wouldn't affect the magnetic field.

Have you looked at the gauze filter/anti-swirl thing on the tap outlet? It should unscrew.
They tend to get blocked with scale and slow the flow.

Have you looked at the gauze filter/anti-swirl thing on the tap outlet? It should unscrew.
They tend to get blocked with scale and slow the flow.
The aerator (reduces water flow so you don't waste as much):
1555831788827.png

It's 9am on a sunny Easter Sunday, what better time to fix your problems than do what Jesus would have done. Get a fuckload of drink and/or drugs, arm yourself with a hacksaw, hammers, mattock, angle grinder and anything else you drunkenly fancy yourself with, and fix that tap for good. If you shout "Cunt" each time you hit the tap with a sledgehammer it'll soon fix itself.

Oh, and put your wife's clothes on while you're at it, that helps too.

We had something similar. Multiple tradesman came and kept sucking their teeth. "Ooh these are ceramic washers, non-replaceable... To fix the problem you'll need new taps, it won't be cheap but it's the only way to do it."

Got in a local plumber to take care of a separate issue and mentioned it to him. Five minutes later, discs were replaced. Even did it gratis.
can you still turn ceramic washers around like to old types, so the new surface is flat and smooth?

Used to work for a few months/years.

can you still turn ceramic washers around like to old types, so the new surface is flat and smooth?

Used to work for a few months/years.
Have to replace the whole thing, simple and not expensive:
1555835829311.png