All search functions offline (including last posts)

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Jun 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

We're testing parts of the site to try and identify problem areas. At the moment the search functions are all disabled.

2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Well I don't know if that was the problem GCO but the site is now noticeably far faster at this end.

3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

We are absolutely stumped at the moment. We've been installing anti-DOS stuff over the last few days, but it is all uninstalled again and the server is still sweating like hell to keep up with the low load we have now.

I'm sure all will become clear if I keep scratching my head!

4. Agreed, site has got much faster in last 15 - 20 mins.
    Don't know if this has been asked already but can the times on the posts list be shown in BST?

5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Yes I agree. I think we may have got part of it - the search was being used much much more because of the "new posts" and the "recent 100" links. Emergency work for the software gurus I think!

6. Have you tried removing the ability to quote?

It may be just me, but pages with lots of nested quotes seem to slow down dramatically.

7. If you go to the My Stuff menu, select My Account.
    On the RHS, under configuration, select My Preferences. You can select the appropriate timezone/daylight savings settings there.

8. My PC, normally slow because of provider, is much quicker now?

9. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I've got to stop for the night. I'm going to leave the site in this stripped-down version - no last posts, no RSS feeds, no search, and carry on tomorrow from mid-morning.

10. No, no, no!! You're here to serve us!!

11. Bad drills.

How dare you leave this free web site in a semi usefull state? I am full of beer and insist that you rectify it for no thanks or money.

It is a sh1te load faster though, me thinks the search function may be the cause of much slowness.

Avatars on the right still makes my mighty manbrain hurt though. Have resolved my earlier bone and frankly ridiculous alcohol fuelled comment of "it looks awful" by now setting my home page to the "latest 100 posts" so I skip the home page that is obviously aimed at visitors and new users.

But it doesn't work as you selfishly want that useless commodity called "sleep". Anyone would think you have other things to do rather than pander to us selfish tw*ts.

Get a grip CO's and give us our ARRSES back :)

12. Me too, but I've solved the problem by turning my monitor upside down. Voila, the avatars are now back on the left.

13. Perhaps generating the latest posts from the RSS feed rather than the search facility would be better? (e.g. using CaRP). Presumably the RSS feed is updated only when a new message is posted without any overhead on the database?