All Roles Now Open To Females

However the Kings Troop RHA is 50% female & could be more at this time of posting ?
To my knowledge all of the King's troop RHA artillery are in the driver trade. Indeed according to our CO most females Sappers are in the driver trade, I suspect this could be true for artillery too, hence the high number of females in the king's troop RHA.

Having a test is one thing; meeting a standard is another. How often were those tests carried out? What happened if the pass rate wasn't 100%? What was the rate of biff chits, and did COs "game" the system at all?
I thought that's what I said :)

of course, enforcement of standards, and the standards themselves are two separate issues:)
However the point I was making was within my service career. I am still serving, people gave cone and gone, having done a 'full' career, who's start standtd was lower than when I joined, yet complain about the standards of those who cone after.

It really is the circle of life :)

to add to this in my AR unit we've had 2 females in the past year not meeting the standard for the power bag lift for RE. One did very well in the rest of her assessment scoring a grade A yet no exceptions were made. She had to go back to redo the bag lift.

Regarding the figures I think that is about right for number of female Sappers per year, interestingly RA have a slightly lower power bag lift requirement yet according to our CO, their proportion of females is only slightly higher than that of the RE.

I haven't got the RA figures readily to hand but I think the female numbers are considerably higher. I will dig the out when I get back next week.

To my knowledge all of the King's troop RHA artillery are in the driver trade. Indeed according to our CO most females Sappers are in the driver trade, I suspect this could be true for artillery too, hence the high number of females in the king's troop RHA.
Regardless of trade. All Sappers to Combat Engineer class 3, certainly drivers and comms do.

I am not in a position to comment about gunner training.

However the point I was making was within my service career. I am still serving, people gave cone and gone, having done a 'full' career, who's start standtd was lower than when I joined, yet complain about the standards of those who cone after.

I wasnt in when the BFT changed from denims to sports kit, I think the timings for the new test was a minute faster, how did females fare with boots and denims.
I had to do proper heaves in basic training, the women sat on the floor and did theirs, that test, disappeared before it could be made equal.
I seem to remember the tests such as climbing a 6 foot wall (getting onto the back of a 4 tonner) was a test that was mainly failed by females. It disappeared
There seems to be a pattern forming.

I have posted this sequential photo before, but I think it poignantly captures my concern about women, and many men, lacking the musculature and bone structure needed for close combat. If i were king, a simple test would involve a timed run of say 3 miles with full kit, a timed sprint to another soldier/Marine with full kit simulating a casualty, and a timed sprint to recover same. A great part of morale in infantry units is the hope that you will not be abandoned in a fire-swept kill zone.

View attachment 421545
But you're not king, and why would we use a non modular test that we couldn't frig the results of to maximise female passes?

But you're not king, and why would we use a non modular test that we couldn't frig the results of to maximise female passes?
Of course you are correct. Silly me. Please just ignore my naive test.

A great part of morale in infantry units is the hope that you will not be abandoned in a fire-swept kill zone.
Interesting idea, because obviously if you stop to aid the wounded you degrade the attack even further, thus ensuring the kill zone remains fire swept for longer. Better to ignore the wounded at this point, press on and destroy the firers then go back for the wounded when it is no longer a risk to those providing aid.

The point I was making was within my service career. I am still serving, people gave come and gone, having done a 'full' career, who's start standard was lower than when I joined, yet complain about the standards of those who come after.

So very true, but so very ignored by so many because it requires them to think outside their little 'confirmation bias' box. What I achieved is obviously correct and any changes thereafter are obviously wrong is the mantra of 95% of the population. It's also why we all laud the decade in which we peaked in achievement, usually our late twenties to early thirties.

I can remember Dad describing the Manning Control impact on an infantry battalion (this must have been 70s / early 80s); the CO decided that the fair way to handle it was to line up the whole battalion, and lead a BFT. Discharges were done from among the non-zero number of test failures. [1]

Having a test is one thing; meeting a standard is another. How often were those tests carried out? What happened if the pass rate wasn't 100%? What was the rate of biff chits, and did COs "game" the system at all?

[1] Another of his apocryphal tales was from the 60s, and "Brigade Commander decides that Bde HQ will do a Scale A parade, no excuses". The Brigadier walks up to one of the older Chefs, points at the frontal stretch of a rather large combat jacket, and leads with the words:
"When was the last time that stomach did a night patrol, then?"
To receive the reply:
"Arnhem, Sir"
Reminiscent of the tale in ‘Despatches’ where the CO decides that everyone in the fire base will patrol. End result - all the chefs killed by a VC.

It’s a good thing that ceremonial units are full of volunteers who in this case like working with horses. Kings Troop can be 100% female, if that reflects soldiers posting preferences.

'Whose' and 'come'. Now, what were you saying about standards?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
So very true, but so very ignored by so many because it requires them to think outside their little 'confirmation bias' box. What I achieved is obviously correct and any changes thereafter are obviously wrong is the mantra of 95% of the population. It's also why we all laud the decade in which we peaked in achievement, usually our late twenties to early thirties.
There's certainly confirmation bias but it's generally coming from those who are extrapolating the requirements of GCC forces almost exclusively, if not totally, from the experience of Iraq and Afghanistan which, from an infantry point of view, are about as benign operational environments as one can reasonably expect.

Our operating assumption should always be that we will be over-matched and our doctrine, selection and training should be developed on that basis. If it transpires that we have air supremacy, overwhelming levels of near-immediate fire support, secure operational bases, reliable re-supply and casevac, the ability to move around in vehicles without significant let or hindrance and complete technological dominance, happy days. If not, then we've given our troops much improved and necessary skills and drills, greater operational flexibility and a massively increased chance of getting the job done and getting home in one piece.

I wasnt in when the BFT changed from denims to sports kit, I think the timings for the new test was a minute faster, how did females fare with boots and denims.
I am that old...

Women didn't do the same "three miles individual effort in denims/boots" (Tickle Test) or "1.5 miles squadded, 1.5 miles best effort, denims/boots" (Basic Fitness Test). Instead, the WRAC did (IIRC, individual best effort) two miles in denims and issued plimsoles,

In the late eighties / early nineties, some smartarse clubswinger investigated lower-limb injury rates among regular recruits, and came to the stunning conclusion that running on boots on tarmac was going to screw people up more than was actually necessary [1]. This tied in with the disbandment of the WRAC in 1992 (because until then they had an entirely separate depot and recruit training pipeline, Queen Elizabeth Barracks Guildford - lovely place, stayed there a couple of times).

So, the BFT moved from boots to trainers; and the women moved to the same BFT as blokes. This didn't bother me as a racing snake - IIRC at the point we changed, [2] I was doing the Tickle test wearing boots in about 20-21 minutes, and wearing trainers in about 18.

[1] Including me. Having joined in 1984, I got the Mk.1 Boot, Combat High that gave me a nice dose of tendonitis. Then discovered after a couple of CFT-length march and shoot competitions that I had chronic bursitis in my knees, that was only ever triggered by running on tarmac in boots while carrying load. Good motive to learn the Brecon Shuffle, that was...

[2] Bearing in mind the old mantra "the older I get, the better I was".;. I managed to come first in my platoon at RMAS with a 20-minute self-thrashing, but back then I only weighed 66kg and I'd nicked Dad's old NI Patrol Boots for doing runs...

Last edited:
I had to do proper heaves in basic training, the women sat on the floor and did theirs, that test, disappeared before it could be made equal.
I seem to remember the tests such as climbing a 6 foot wall (getting onto the back of a 4 tonner) was a test that was mainly failed by females. It disappeared
There seems to be a pattern forming.
As I is ancient, I was around at the changeover.
The time for under thirties was 11.30 in boots. This changed to 10.30 in trainers. The first time we ran it in trainers, iirc, was during Falklands training so that would be 1990. A few lads were caught out, and there were some unexpected fails.
I did it in 10 mins in boots and the same in trainers, i never bought into the BFT pi****g contest.
BTW, the lads who failed did it again the next day and all passed.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
There were chunky carthorse types who could pass the BFT in boots in 11.30 (early 1980s) just after finishing a smoke break but they couldn't manage the switch to shorts and trainers with a 10:30 target.

I can't exactly remember when the switch to occurred but my training diary tells me it was before 1984. I think it was before 1982. (Regular Army infantry.)

'Whose' and 'come'. Now, what were you saying about standards?
IPhone after an 11 hour flight at 4 in the morning UK time. I am suprised you could read any of it :) :)

And you may notice that I am not the one banging the drum about how in my 5 minutes (in the scheme of things) was the greatest and everything before or since is pants.

PS: 0452 local time been desperately trying to stay in bed for the last 3 hours, 36 holes of golf today, I will shattered!

In my day the lads could manage 72 in the morning and still play 2 games of rugby in the afternoon ^~

There were chunky carthorse types who could pass the BFT in boots in 11.30 (early 1980s) just after finishing a smoke break but they couldn't manage the switch to shorts and trainers with a 10:30 target.

I can't exactly remember when the switch to occurred but my training diary tells me it was before 1984. I think it was before 1982. (Regular Army infantry.)
Much later, I didn't join until 1983. And from my recollection, must people significantly reduced their time.

That's the problem with reminiscing, everyone remembers differently ^~

Latest Threads