All Roles Now Open To Females

I see that they are changing the way the Infantry are now trained, coincidence ?

SOLDIER FEB 2019

I seem to be saying this a lot recently........thank f**k l am nearly out!

I can almost guarantee that it will be exactly the same as its predecessor, but with some kind of coaching and mentoring spin it.

There's been a great deal of change in the fitness training and testing, as I understand it.

It's always a work in progress and I was involved with something similar in Infantry training in the mid-90s.

Any idea why they decided not to carry on with female/mixed crews?
The RTR have a female Subbie, qualified vehical commander. As far as I know she's working in a mixed crew. Israel is very much to the fore with mixed sex units.
loofkar, how do you think your kid(s) feel about serving in a mixed crew MBT. It's got to be awkward pissing and capping when closed down.

Any idea why they decided not to carry on with female/mixed crews?
Flaggie see the second link I posted - the status of the project doesn't seem entirely clear after all. No clear or definite reasons were cited in the original article. The inference was that it was logistical/manpower considerations rather than females not being competent.

The RTR have a female Subbie, qualified vehical commander. As far as I know she's working in a mixed crew. Israel is very much to the fore with mixed sex units.
loofkar, how do you think your kid(s) feel about serving in a mixed crew MBT. It's got to be awkward pissing and capping when closed down.
Prior to his being drafted I gave my youngest the following advice:
At the main induction base for draftees, don't let them tempt you into any role in which you can't be your honest self (covert work, Mossad etc).
If you don't like spending most of your time in a steel box on tracks and the rest of the time servicing said box in all weathers, don't be a tankie.
Beware, since the IDF has new submarines, not to volunteer for that unless you really want to spend your service in a steel can.
If you're not up to shooting people in cold blood on the strength of an order, you probably shouldn't be a sniper.

He opted for the infantry - not in a mixed unit. Money couldn't buy the character forming experience and responsibilities it gave him. Any work with females was with female instructors rather than female squaddies.

His older brother was in IT. His experience as a platoon NCO from the admin aspect was that female soldiers have more personal problems/health issues/complications than their male counterparts.

A female friend who served in a mixed infantry unit mentioned to me that one effect of having the men and women serving together is that the men seem to have lower motivation while the women are very enthusiastic.

Last edited:
Perhaps he's more aware of the true successes of the trials than the journos.
Or maybe he's a misogynist dinosaur who wants to see Israel lose it's next war.

I already know how the journos will write their fable
I think we can reasonably predict how the misogynistic dinosaurs on this board will spin it too.

A female friend who served in a mixed infantry unit mention to me that one effect of having the men and women serving together is that the men seem to have lower motivation while the women are very enthusiastic.
Sounds familiar, I heard more than one regular complain about the enthusiasm of the TA. It's OK to be uncommitted if you all are but once someone turns up with a bit of go aobut them they shows the rest of you up and can be a bit of a problem for the idlers. I'm sure we all remember the enthusiatic new subbie and how popular he was with the older sergeants. David Render refers to that issue in his book 'Tank Action'.

Latest Threads