All Roles Now Open To Females

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
You are a long retired officer who hangs around his wife's friends in an attempt to stay up to date (Not forgetting of course that you didnt know that Sgts can commission as LE, finger on the pulse there eh).
There was a target of 15% females across the army by 2020.
Not in the Infantry. Do try to keep up.

Kefi

Old-Salt
There absolutely is a target, and I quote:

Targets were set in summer 2015 to increase the diversity of personnel joining the UK Regular Forces and Future Reserves 2020 by 2020. The 2020 targets are:

• To increase female personnel to 15 per cent of total intake by 2020.
This target has been set by the Minister of State for the Armed Forces.

• To increase Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) personnel to at least 10 per cent of total intake by 2020, with an eventual target of 20 per cent. This target was set by the Prime Minister as part of the wider BME 2020 Vision.

We are nowhere close to the female target with only a year to go. We live in interesting times as the saying goes :) :)
And we all know how this ends right ;)

The few that do get into the GCC will be protected like the golden goose, fast tracked to promotion & so the spiral of combat effectiveness takes another step closer to being ineffective.

That is boll0cks.

There are no targets, and brotherton lad knows this because he is at Sandhurst.
Doesn't change the fact that that I still think all roles should be open to everyone, regardless of height, size, weight, colour, gender, ethnicity, planet of birth.

As long as they can reach the same standards as everyone else doing the same job.

I wouldn’t want my scrum half being a prop or my winger playing at second row, but I would want them to be able to if required :) :)

And we all know how this ends right ;)

The few that do get into the GCC will be protected like the golden goose, fast tracked to promotion & so the spiral of combat effectiveness takes another step closer to being ineffective.
Enough crystal balls have been shattered just by these two getting to this point. Let’s wait and see hey ^~

Not in the Infantry. Do try to keep up.
Thats why I said across the Army, Einstein.
If they are struggling to recruit 15% at the moment in the more traditional roles, best that they add to the numbers in the non traditional roles. Obviously if not enough get through, it will be because the instructors are all dinosaurs.

Enough crystal balls have been shattered just by these two getting to this point. Let’s wait and see hey ^~
I think another 2 arent far behind.
Never had a doubt that some women could do it. Will they like it? Maybe. Will the Army "encourage" the numbers? Very possibly.

There absolutely is a target, and I quote:

Targets were set in summer 2015 to increase the diversity of personnel joining the UK Regular Forces and Future Reserves 2020 by 2020. The 2020 targets are:

• To increase female personnel to 15 per cent of total intake by 2020.
This target has been set by the Minister of State for the Armed Forces.

• To increase Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) personnel to at least 10 per cent of total intake by 2020, with an eventual target of 20 per cent. This target was set by the Prime Minister as part of the wider BME 2020 Vision.

We are nowhere close to the female target with only a year to go. We live in interesting times as the saying goes :) :)
Other than to highlight their PC credentials, I wonder if those who set such targets can name one really tangible advantage of achieving them. The usual answer is” Well, we’ll better reflect the society we serve”. Usually delivered with a self righteous, patronising inflection whilst studiously avoiding answering the part about, actual, physical advantages.

If you don't understand the question, it's OK, stand easy
The question has implied major differences between the two. I am trying to get you to articulate what those differences are against the reality of the modern day infantry.

because they are not all 6 foot UFC fighters. Nor are plenty of soldiers at Hereford.

Last edited:
How did i know that would be your comeback :rolleyes:

There was a time when the phrase boy's will be boys ment they were given a certain amount of slack. Things like letting off a bit of steam, getting pissed & generally acting their age ( & all that immaturity that goes with it) something i have found memories of even if you don't. If i have to detail to you the kind of scenarios that young men's actions may conflict with a young woman's in an Inf soldiers environment then all i can say is you need to get out more.
sorry, can you explain further how and why being offensive to half of society is necessary for combat efficiency?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
You're right, the men need to get a grip.

And if they can't, they need to be sacked. And if their leader doesn't have the moral courage to do that, they need to be sacked too.
Alternatively, why not show a bit of professionalism and intellectual robustness, embrace the proven fact that the optimal group for inflicting close quarter violence on other equally capable groups is made up from physically capable alpha males and then work from that base of understanding?

If there's a failure of moral courage anywhere, it's from senior officers across all three services who've allowed themselves to be bully-ragged by the likes of Harriet Harman to the extent where they've lost the trust of those they command with regard to maintaining standards. That's about as fundamental a failure of command as it's possible to achieve.

Are you always this vehement over issues of which you have no relevant experience?

sorry, can you explain further how and why being offensive to half of society is necessary for combat efficiency?
They arent offensive to half of society, they might be offensive to a small number of females in their presence, much like a group of civvie men might be in their free time.

Kefi

Old-Salt
Alternatively, why not show a bit of professionalism and intellectual robustness, embrace the proven fact that the optimal group for inflicting close quarter violence on other equally capable groups is made up from physically capable alpha males and then work from that base of understanding?

If there's a failure of moral courage anywhere, it's from senior officers across all three services who've allowed themselves to be bully-ragged by the likes of Harriet Harman to the extent where they've lost the trust of those they command with regard to maintaining standards. That's about as fundamental a failure of command as it's possible to achieve.

Are you always this vehement over issues of which you have no relevant experience?

This post has gotten to the core problem of political interference, & the gradual wearing down of the leadership to a point where fear of being branded for not being on message is greater than taking on an enemy :eek:

Latest Threads