All Roles Now Open To Females

The younger lads on the section are going to have to wind their necks in & watch what they say & do. There is no doubt cohesion will be effected by the arrival of one female in an all male section.
why will they have to wind their necks in. What are they saying and doing that would make them have to change?

anglo

LE
How many men in the infantry total, 20,000? What percentage of the 20K do they require to be female,
say 10%, would they get 2000 females to sign up/pass standards, I doubt it
some females will meet the standards, but very few [when put against the number of men passing],
so to increase numbers, standards will have to drop or the number of females required
by the top brass will not be achieved and that will never do.
It has gone beyond common sense it's now dogma, it will be done whatever the cost
and by any means.
I wonder how many women want to join the infantry?, anybody like to speculate ?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
How many men in the infantry total, 20,000? What percentage of the 20K do they require to be female,
some females will meet the standards, but very few [when put against the number of men passing],
so to increase numbers, standards will have to drop or the number of females required
It has gone beyond common sense it's now dogma, it will be done whatever the cost
and by any means.
There isn't a target. I suspect few will want to join, probably more officers than soldiers. I don't see the need for dinosaurs to get their knickers in a twist over the issue.

There isn't a target. I suspect few will want to join, probably more officers than soldiers. I don't see the need for dinosaurs to get their knickers in a twist over the issue.
There you go again, anyone who disagrees with the pc shite is a dinosaur.
Even the young soldiers who joined today must be dinosaurs because Brotherton lad said so.

and by any means.
I would suggest well less than 5% of all wanting to join and less than 50% of that figure will be capable.

anglo

LE
"There isn't a target." you know that do you, how ?
Oh, and stop your shit with "dinosaurs to get their knickers in a twist over the issue"
Or have you put an age limit on this debate

That's the wrong question. The question is whether there's enough of a meaningful difference to make someone choose a team that's 100% male over one that's 95% men, 5% women.

Personally I think there is. I'll choose an all-male team every time.
That's an impressive unit, but it's very much a rarity...

As I understand it, teeth arm units are currently running between 5% and 25% undermanned (link) (even before you consider how many are medically downgraded). So a better question might be "would you rather have a unit that's 75% men and 25% gapped, or 75% men, 10% women, and 15% gapped?". Or even the vanishingly unlikely "unit that's fully manned and meeting current infantry fitness standards, containing 80% men and 20% women".

We're not looking at replacing fit blokes with less-fit women. We're not even talking about replacing the bottom-5% blokes with the fittest 5% of women. It's a top-5% woman in the MT Platoon / Signals platoon who can pass the Inf fitness standard, or no-one at all.

It's all very well talking about the need for superheroes that can manpack the needs of the infantry anywhere, any time, at the drop of a hat; before killing the Queen's enemies with their bare hands. But they don't exist - at least, nowhere near enough of them.

Last edited:

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

As I understand it, teeth arm units are currently running between 5% and 25% undermanned (even before you consider how many are medically downgraded). So a better question might be "would you rather have a unit that's 75% men and 25% gapped, or 75% men, 10% women, and 15% gapped".
75% men, 25% gapped almost every time (noting that you'd expect women to add no more than about 5%, rather than 10%). The gaps aren't going to multiply my discipline issues and I'd rather have a smaller, cohesive force than a slightly larger force with cohesion issues and increased discipline cases.

Edit: This assumes that I need to take them on operations in anything other than a purely defensive role. For static defence I'll take the increased mass but otherwise I'll go with the cohesion.

Last edited:

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Oh, and stop your shit with "dinosaurs to get their knickers in a twist over the issue"
Because I'm at Sandhurst.

As I understand it, teeth arm units are currently running between 5% and 25% undermanned (even before you consider how many are medically downgraded). So a better question might be "would you rather have a unit that's 75% men and 25% gapped, or 75% men, 10% women, and 15% gapped".
Would you rather have a 75% solid, tight crew or an 85% team divided over the sniff of pussy in the air?

Kefi

Old-Salt
why will they have to wind their necks in. What are they saying and doing that would make them have to change?
How did i know that would be your comeback :rolleyes:

There was a time when the phrase boy's will be boys ment they were given a certain amount of slack. Things like letting off a bit of steam, getting pissed & generally acting their age ( & all that immaturity that goes with it) something i have found memories of even if you don't. If i have to detail to you the kind of scenarios that young men's actions may conflict with a young woman's in an Inf soldiers environment then all i can say is you need to get out more.

There absolutely is a target, and I quote:

Targets were set in summer 2015 to increase the diversity of personnel joining the UK Regular Forces and Future Reserves 2020 by 2020. The 2020 targets are:

• To increase female personnel to 15 per cent of total intake by 2020.
This target has been set by the Minister of State for the Armed Forces.

• To increase Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) personnel to at least 10 per cent of total intake by 2020, with an eventual target of 20 per cent. This target was set by the Prime Minister as part of the wider BME 2020 Vision.

We are nowhere close to the female target with only a year to go. We live in interesting times as the saying goes :) :)

There absolutely is a target, and I quote:

Targets were set in summer 2015 to increase the diversity of personnel joining the UK Regular Forces and Future Reserves 2020 by 2020. The 2020 targets are:

• To increase female personnel to 15 per cent of total intake by 2020.
This target has been set by the Minister of State for the Armed Forces.

• To increase Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) personnel to at least 10 per cent of total intake by 2020, with an eventual target of 20 per cent. This target was set by the Prime Minister as part of the wider BME 2020 Vision.

We are nowhere close to the female target with only a year to go. We live in interesting times as the saying goes :) :)
That is boll0cks.

There are no targets, and brotherton lad knows this because he is at Sandhurst.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
That is boll0cks.

There are no targets, and brotherton lad knows this because he is at Sandhurst.
There's no target for the Infantry. That was the topic at hand.

About 12% of recent intake are females, including some interesting ones from the Palestinian Authority, the Afghan National Army, Belgium, Germany, Paraguay and Georgia.

Because I'm at Sandhurst.
You are a long retired officer who hangs around his wife's friends in an attempt to stay up to date (Not forgetting of course that you didnt know that Sgts can commission as LE, finger on the pulse there eh).
There was a target of 15% females across the army by 2020.

Latest Threads