All Roles Now Open To Females

The point is to make a unit commander's job as easy as possible and not to screw around with a bit of the army that works in order to make a sociological point. A bloke in the physical bottom quartile can be kicked up the arrse; a woman in the bottom quartile is probably giving everything. Straightaway the choice is between being unreasonable and treating people differently.

The command problem becomes even worse when the choice is between choosing the best people for risky tasks and trying to keep risk exposure equitable across the team.
If the bottom quartile is fit enough to do the job. Why do they need kicking up the hoop? Hereford has a bottom quartile.

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
If the bottom quartile is fit enough to do the job. Why do they need kicking ***********? Hereford has a bottom quartile.
Well if you're happy with the bare minimum...

You're being a wee bit disingenuous there.

I'd argue that bayonet fighting is pretty much all physical brute force. Baton guns are only part of it too - you conveniently forgot to mention the shield wall & snatch squads.

I do agree that we should just leave them to get on with it though, if they can attain the required standards, then all well & good - they should serve alongside the men.

I'd be interested to see what the working "lifespan" of a Female Infantry solder is vs a Male one - as in, how many years they'll be able to physically do the role. Mentally I have no doubt they'll be fine.
I agree with a lot of what you say. I just fail to believe it is impossible for a woman to achieve the standard required for bayonet fighting as currently exemplified by the weaker and flabbier members of our infantry.

Well if you're happy with the bare minimum...
there has to be a minimum standard. SF have a minimum standard and a bottom third. please tell me you understand the concept of a minimum standard and how you let those that meet it do their job.

I love it when the arrse members who own a Christal ball can predict with total confedance what will happen next reguarding future conflicts & wars ;)
I got issued mine at my Dine Out.

PS you know you have a spell check?

So i think i'm talking to a serving ex RN Officer ?

If so i should not have to explain this to you but here goes. A conflict that would put UK troops onto a war footing would be an escalation of events after a political solution has been exhausted. During this period our lords & masters would have come up with a game plan (one would hope) identified the threat & put troops through the relevant training to counter that threat. The FI war, Gulf war 1 & 2 & the pre deployment training for Afghan are all examples of how it works if you need any further help on the subject. You could look at the build up to WW2, i hope this helps answer your question.

This from a 19 year retired ex RAF Regt Cpl ;)

Phoney War - Wikipedia
You were a pretend Cpl at 19 years old?

anglo

LE
I agree with a lot of what you say. I just fail to believe it is impossible for a woman to achieve the standard required for bayonet fighting as currently exemplified by the weaker and flabbier members of our infantry.
We'll see when the claims start coming in

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
there has to be a minimum standard. SF have a minimum standard and a bottom third. please tell me you understand the concept of a minimum standard and how you let those that meet it do their job.
I understand perfectly. Do you understand that when you lead a team you have an implicit responsibility to improve the performance of individuals within that team and that, miracle of miracles, if the minimum standard of the weakest performer is raised, the overall team performance is raised too?

I understand perfectly. Do you understand that when you lead a team you have an implicit responsibility to improve the performance of individuals within that team and that, miracle of miracles, if the minimum standard of the weakest performer is raised, the overall team performance is raised too?
yes. I also understand that some females are fitter, stronger and easier to motivate than some males. Unless you are suggesting females can never reach the fitness required to be an infantry soldier?

if you are, I’d like to show you some of the male fatties and weaklings I have worked and deployed with and who did the job.

well, if we don’t have idiot recruit instructors who force people to do something that policy directs them not to we will be fine.
There was no policy before, it even says so in the article

Kefi

Old-Salt
really? Have you seen a bayonet range done with women? Why can a woman not stab someone with a sharp thing?
A woman can stab someone untill the cows come home no dramas, it will be a differnt outcome when that man she is facing is determined not to let her do that. Look we could go around this all day, but the bottom line is no matter how good a female is she will come off second best against a man in a fight to the death in the situations we are talking about.

really? Have you seen a bayonet range done with women? Why can a woman not stab someone with a sharp thing?
Generally because the majority of those serving females have zero aggression.
I have witnessed female soldiers stabbing a sandbag, in some cases I think the sandbag won.
Again, not all of them, but a considerable majority of them.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I have witnessed female soldiers stabbing a sandbag, in some cases I think the sandbag won.
RLC?

so are you saying, some do not meet the standard required to be a GCC soldier, but some could?

Latest Threads