All Roles Now Open To Females

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Can you answer the questions? How do we do CQB?

why does strength matter? I thought judo was very keen to prove pure strength can be defeated easily as an example.
what kind of hand to hand combat are you envisaging is happening in your hypothetical situation? No weapons, no ppe, no-one else around?
Most WW2 infantry memoirs I've read are in general agreement that urban warfare was the most physically demanding form of fighting. It's got nothing to do with hand to hand, it's about getting over walls and through windows quickly, repeatedly and with all your clobber which, given that FIBUA is munitions-intensive, will not be insignificant.

Kefi

Old-Salt
Can you answer the questions? How do we do CQB?

why does strength matter? I thought judo was very keen to prove pure strength can be defeated easily as an example.
what kind of hand to hand combat are you envisaging is happening in your hypothetical situation? No weapons, no ppe, no-one else around?
I'm using the CQB term in a generic sense, it could be in any manner of situations from a high intensity trench clearing scenario, you know the ones where the Inf are called apon to fulfil their job discription of closing with & killing the enemy, to a public order scenario where you may have to fight for your life & that of your section. It could even be the inter Coy Xmas punch up who knows? ;)

STRENGTH, AGRESSION & A WILLINGNESS TO WIN are good attributes in a member of the Inf.

I'm using the CQB term in a generic sense, it could be in any manner of situations from a high intensity trench clearing scenario, you know the ones where the Inf are called apon to fulfil their job discription of closing with & killing the enemy, to a public order scenario where you may have to fight for your life & that of your section. It could even be the inter Coy Xmas punch up who knows? ;)

STRENGTH, AGRESSION & A WILLINGNESS TO WIN are good attributes in a member of the Inf.
Are bayonets and baton guns ineffective if used by someone who sits down to wee then?

Most WW2 infantry memoirs I've read are in general agreement that urban warfare was the most physically demanding form of fighting. It's got nothing to do with hand to hand, it's about getting over walls and through windows quickly, repeatedly and with all your clobber which, given that FIBUA is munitions-intensive, will not be insignificant.
So soldiers need to be fit and reach a certain minimum standard. I have seen plenty of women at various gyms who have been fitter and stronger than me. I also know some weak males. Surely the point is to ensure that all soldiers meet the required standards and to have an honest conversation about what those standards should be.

So soldiers need to be fit and reach a certain minimum standard. I have seen plenty of women at various gyms who have been fitter and stronger than me. I also know some weak males. Surely the point is to ensure that all soldiers meet the required standards and to have an honest conversation about what those standards should be.
Why does strength matter?

So, British army commando gunners and sappers, then?

And your point about anyone without armour against the Russians being irrelevant?
The Corps (and the USMC) are working hard to be relevant. And it will probably involve armo(u)r.

Your 'thinking' appears to follow a line that anyone has suggested HMF would face Russian/whoever forces on their own.
Nobody has even hinted at that.

Fighting as part of a coalition still means we'd be involved in peer/peer combat.
Indeed.

As part of a Corps/Army poss Army Group battle.

Which will have at it’s heart US Army Infantry Divisions, which are mechanised at very least, and in many cases armoured.

Oh, and each Inf Division has more attack helicopters and support helicopters than the entire British Army, and has more Artillery than the British Army. All of which can road move under their own power.

Indeed.

As part of a Corps/Army poss Army Group battle.

Which will have at it’s heart US Army Infantry Divisions, which are mechanised at very least, and in many cases armoured.

Oh, and each Inf Division has more attack helicopters and support helicopters than the entire British Army, and has more Artillery than the British Army. All of which can road move under their own power.
Not in Norway it can't.

Please stop now, you're embarrassing yourself.

1575306857367.jpeg

USMC Armor in Norway. From earlier this year, 1/8th in their Light Armored Vehicles.

Chalkster69

Old-Salt
Are bayonets and baton guns ineffective if used by someone who sits down to wee then?
You're being a wee bit disingenuous there.

I'd argue that bayonet fighting is pretty much all physical brute force. Baton guns are only part of it too - you conveniently forgot to mention the shield wall & snatch squads.

I do agree that we should just leave them to get on with it though, if they can attain the required standards, then all well & good - they should serve alongside the men.

I'd be interested to see what the working "lifespan" of a Female Infantry solder is vs a Male one - as in, how many years they'll be able to physically do the role. Mentally I have no doubt they'll be fine.

Equipment being stockpiled in Norway will include an “entire Marine Expeditionary Brigade”

TO&E for a MEB includes 14 MBTs and 27 LAV.

Equipment being stockpiled in Norway will include an “entire Marine Expeditionary Brigade”

TO&E for a MEB includes 14 MBTs and 27 LAV.
Can they venture off Norway's extensive road infrastructure?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
The point is to make a unit commander's job as easy as possible and not to screw around with a bit of the army that works in order to make a sociological point. A bloke in the physical bottom quartile can be kicked up the arrse; a woman in the bottom quartile is probably giving everything. Straightaway the choice is between being unreasonable and treating people differently.

The command problem becomes even worse when the choice is between choosing the best people for risky tasks and trying to keep risk exposure equitable across the team.

Latest Threads