Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All ranks common room opens at RAD Benson

chimera

LE
I thought the whole point of the NAAFI was that you could get away from the Ruperts Waynes?

This smacks of cruel and unusual punishment to me.

Corrected that for you - this is the RAF we are talking about.

Probably under the "Increased social engagement and cohesion" Welfare Outcome as they call it. Funny though they also list example where they wont provide funds such as .....
  • Station events which involve commercial gain, activities promoting/encouraging use of alcohol, or functions such as beer calls and similar social gatherings.
So I think Pie Wednesday is ok but a pish up on Fri afternoon to celebrate more than 3 of Bensons helicopters in the air at one time is a no-no!
Vegan pie of course!

BTW - The two female AVM's/2 Star mentioned, AVM 'Chris' has just retired from the post AVM 'Maria' holds, Chris went directly to the head honcho RAF Ben Fund job from the RAF. All nice and cosy.

I digress slightly, I remember just before I retired the initial work was being done on the pay as you dine/save as you starve project, one suggestion being floated was that families could use the contractor on base eating facilities. Don't know what the outcome was, or is this kicking the suggestion back to life. Also, connected with the project to get everyone to live out in private thus remove the requirement for MOD to provide domestic on base accommodation? Or am I a cynical old fart?

Euclid

War Hero
Vegan pie of course!

BTW - The two female AVM's/2 Star mentioned, AVM 'Chris' has just retired from the post AVM 'Maria' holds, Chris went directly to the head honcho RAF Ben Fund job from the RAF. All nice and cosy.

I digress slightly, I remember just before I retired the initial work was being done on the pay as you dine/save as you starve project, one suggestion being floated was that families could use the contractor on base eating facilities. Don't know what the outcome was, or is this kicking the suggestion back to life. Also, connected with the project to get everyone to live out in private thus remove the requirement for MOD to provide domestic on base accommodation? Or am I a cynical old fart?
Most regiments/battalions had a greasy spoon of some description tucked away somewhere on the barracks. Sometimes part of the PRI, or run by a couple of the wives, or some old harridan who had been there since national service days.

That’s when a Naafi break meant a Rothmans, a bacon sarnie and a mug of tea with sugar.

I seem to recall these had to close as part of the Serco and other contractor deals.

It will go this way;
Popular with every one. Drinks for those not working at lunch time, great food, great cake, etc.
Couple of months later, not open at the weekend, not serving alcohol any more,
Couple of years later, you get instant coffees and shit stale paninis, no one goes in.
The only person seen in there is the fat guy with the permanently depressed wife in tow, with two equally depressed young children stuffed into a pushchair, while they watch their disgusting gambling addict daddy hammer all their money into the on camp fruit machines.
The place stops opening at all, except for the CO and his compulsory get-together with the ‘Lads and Lasses‘ and the Padre once a year/Christmas Dinner (in November).
Just. Like. Elmpt.

You missed out the bit with a missive being circulated ordering the removal of all kettles & toasters from crew duty rooms (for health and safety reasons, of course).

Last edited:
Corrected that for you - this is the RAF we are talking about.

I could point you in the direction of the retired RA 2* I know called Kevin, if you like.

And watch the simpering begin...............

chimera

LE
I thought the whole point of the NAAFI was that you could get away from the Ruperts?

This smacks of cruel and unusual punishment to me.

Ruperts & Rodneys, I thought that was unique to the army, Shirley the crabs have their own moniker for their commissioned muppets?............Jasper's & Jeffrey's?

I’ll raise your Kevin with an RA 1* called Shane. He was a good bloke though.

When I said I would " watch the simpering begin............... ", I meant your simpering.

Euclid

War Hero
When I said I would " watch the simpering begin............... ", I meant your simpering.
Bless you Dave, but I haven’t got a fcking clue what that gibberish means. To use the old put down ‘send key setting, over’, always makes me chuckle that one does.

Bless you Dave, but I haven’t got a fcking clue what that gibberish means. To use the old put down ‘send key setting, over’, always makes me chuckle that one does.
Glad to hear it.

Rumour has it the the RAF Puma force could get an early chop with the imminent defense review, so RAF Benson could close or is the writing on the wall for RAF Northolt to move all flying to RAF Benson? Interesting times.

An Army base somewhere in Germany ( Probably more than one )

£ Unknown Millions spent upgrading the roads to take Warrior.

£ Rumoured 5 Million on a brand new Optronics Centre ( Think that is what it was called )

On completion the camp was closed down.

Camp never seen a Warrior and the doors of the Optronics Centre never opened.

£400k on a pie shop?

Oh well, another capability can be scrapped to pay for these essential services I suppose.

£400k on a pie shop?

Oh well, another capability can be scrapped to pay for these essential services I suppose.
You should be celebrating surely?

mad_collie

Old-Salt
I wonder if RAD Benson is one letter along from RAF Benson? Or is it just that the copy editing for the headline was a bit shir [sic]?
Been a while since I was in the area, but I'm sure RAD Benson is next door but one to RAG Benson. RAF Benson is also nearby.

wafubustard

War Hero
Sodexho Manager "We need a gimmick to get the light blue shirt lot to increase their trouser sizes even more....I know lets put up a poster for Pie Wednesday! They will get 3 pies for the price of 1, but only frozen ones mind!"

I guess someone has tried all the pies.
20200923_134627.jpg

Latest Threads