Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All ranks common room opens at RAD Benson

A new all ranks Common Room has officially opened at RAF Benson, enhancing the lived experience of RAF personnel and their families.

Continue reading...

LARD

LE
Ruddy hell £400K to Sodexo so the Brylcreme Boys & Girls can buy pies and cups of tea! Is this the future?

What was the thing we used to have...…. The NAAFI

It does seem a lot for a partition wall and some furniture.

I expect that the JRs are impressed that their Mess has been reduced in size.

Euclid

War Hero
By all ranks do they mean Flt Lt ‘call me Jason’ can have a bacon roll with SAC ‘call me Chantelle’ while Air Commodore Bazzer orders himself a double frothy lattecapacino with soya milk and a caramel syrup shot.

FFS. Crabs are turning themselves into more of a laughing stock each passing day.
All this to keep a few dozen aircraft in the air.

Chef

LE
I thought the whole point of the NAAFI was that you could get away from the Ruperts?

This smacks of cruel and unusual punishment to me.

So lets break this delight down a bit....
Judging by the design of the windows this is original post war building tarted up with some fibreboard walls and lowered the ceiling to hide 40years of Xmas Lunch food fights.

Bar Person (tick!) "Does the refurbishment budget involve proper optics for the spirits?"
Sodexho Manager "You f*cking heathen, no!! Put them on the window sill with those sickly mixer things no one drinks on the shelf".

Coffee chickory flavour syrup......Tick!

Posh meringues in a glass cabinet which will be replaced by KitKats and Twix's by next week.

Sodexho Manager "We need a gimmick to get the light blue shirt lot to increase their trouser sizes even more....I know lets put up a poster for Pie Wednesday! They will get 3 pies for the price of 1, but only frozen ones mind!"

Bar Person "Will it really be open to families?"
Sodexho Manager "Dont be stupid, even the RAF families are not going to come into the JRC and spend Fri night in The Common Room when Reading is down the road. That was just to sell it to the Station Commander because he wants a job with us next year when he leaves!".
BEN-OFFICIAL-20200911-240-008_1_.jpg

I thought the whole point of the NAAFI was that you could get away from the Ruperts?

This smacks of cruel and unusual punishment to me.
NAAFI was all-ranks and always had been.

Corporals' Clubs on NAAFI premises were the naughty thing.

So lets break this delight down a bit....
Judging by the design of the windows this is original post war building tarted up with some fibreboard walls and lowered the ceiling to hide 40years of Xmas Lunch food fights.

Bar Person (tick!) "Does the refurbishment budget involve proper optics for the spirits?"
Sodexho Manager "You f*cking heathen, no!! Put them on the window sill with those sickly mixer things no one drinks on the shelf".

Coffee chickory flavour syrup......Tick!

Posh meringues in a glass cabinet which will be replaced by KitKats and Twix's by next week.

Sodexho Manager "We need a gimmick to get the light blue shirt lot to increase their trouser sizes even more....I know lets put up a poster for Pie Wednesday! They will get 3 pies for the price of 1, but only frozen ones mind!"

Bar Person "Will it really be open to families?"
Sodexho Manager "Dont be stupid, even the RAF families are not going to come into the JRC and spend Fri night in The Common Room when Reading is down the road. That was just to sell it to the Station Commander because he wants a job with us next year when he leaves!".
View attachment 505449
Has it really only got one chair? And at a height unsuited to the table?

Wait until H&S start on the ergonomics. Then it won't have any chairs.

It will go this way;
Popular with every one. Drinks for those not working at lunch time, great food, great cake, etc.
Couple of months later, not open at the weekend, not serving alcohol any more,
Couple of years later, you get instant coffees and shit stale paninis, no one goes in.
The only person seen in there is the fat guy with the permanently depressed wife in tow, with two equally depressed young children stuffed into a pushchair, while they watch their disgusting gambling addict daddy hammer all their money into the on camp fruit machines.
The place stops opening at all, except for the CO and his compulsory get-together with the ‘Lads and Lasses‘ and the Padre once a year/Christmas Dinner (in November).
Just. Like. Elmpt.

So RAF Ben Fund used to top up RAF infrastructure, not assist veterans fallen on hard times. RAF Ben has just closed convalescent old folks home to save money claiming Covid has hit their finances. Is this a move to close eating facilities in Officer's, Sgt's and JR Mess to one 'on base eater'? Thus saving contractor a mint.

Rumour has it the the RAF Puma force could get an early chop with the imminent defense review, so RAF Benson could close or is the writing on the wall for RAF Northolt to move all flying to RAF Benson? Interesting times.

Add reference, Exhibit A -

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
So RAF Ben Fund used to top up RAF infrastructure, not assist veterans fallen on hard times. RAF Ben has just closed convalescent old folks home to save money claiming Covid has hit their finances. Is this a move to close eating facilities in Officer's, Sgt's and JR Mess to one 'on base eater'? Thus saving contractor a mint.

Rumour has it the the RAF Puma force could get an early chop with the imminent defense review, so RAF Benson could close or is the writing on the wall for RAF Northolt to move all flying to RAF Benson? Interesting times.

Add reference, Exhibit A -

My Bold.

Beat me to it.

I have a good friend who is a manager at the RAF Benevolent Fund. She tells me that the rules for getting aid are rather strict, so this project must have met the criteria...

My Bold.

Beat me to it.

I have a good friend who is a manager at the RAF Benevolent Fund. She tells me that the rules for getting aid are rather strict, so this project must have met the criteria...
Yep, the MOD must be selling it soon

By all ranks do they mean Flt Lt ‘call me Jason’ can have a bacon roll with SAC ‘call me Chantelle’ while Air Commodore Bazzer orders himself a double frothy lattecapacino with soya milk and a caramel syrup shot.

FFS. Crabs are turning themselves into more of a laughing stock each passing day.
All this to keep a few dozen aircraft in the air.
The voice of internal anger & bitterness.....

My Bold.

Beat me to it.

Probably under the "Increased social engagement and cohesion" Welfare Outcome as they call it. Funny though they also list example where they wont provide funds such as .....
  • Station events which involve commercial gain, activities promoting/encouraging use of alcohol, or functions such as beer calls and similar social gatherings.
So I think Pie Wednesday is ok but a pish up on Fri afternoon to celebrate more than 3 of Bensons helicopters in the air at one time is a no-no!

How long before Benson's Common Room becomes informally known as "Hedge's"?

The Common Room. How apt.

Latest Threads