All Quiet on The Western Front (1979)

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Blade-Runner, Aug 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sure the original came out in the 30s but I like this one since its more dramatic and in colour! I've had this film on VHS, DVD, download 'cough!' and at the moment I am watching it on Netflix.

What is amazing about the version on Netflix, is that there are so many cut scenes in it which did not appear in either VHS, DVD formats! I don't want to post any spoilers, but there are certain scenes which add up why Himmelstoss was despised so much. There are scenes where you learn far more about the characters and their motives why they enlisted.

Ive not read the book yet, but its next on my list after seeing this version of the film.
  2. IF you can get past the Germans using Austrian M95 rifles and Swarloze machineguns, it isn't terribly bad.
  3. I was only thinking about this film the other day. I'd agree that the 70s version is better than the 30s version for the very reasons you stated. But it's the fact its got John boy Walton and Dominic santini in it. I just feel it could do with a remake.
  4. One can hardly credit such deception from Hollywood. I haven't felt this used since realising that The Battle of the Bulge wasn't made with real Tiger tanks. All Quiet on the Western Front was the first film I watched on VCR in 1982.
  5. I have the book and both film versions and of the films I prefer the original version ... some of the panned scenes including the shelling attack on the train and the assault by the French seem to be ahead of their time ... and the background behaviour of troops outside that of the main participants seemed to capture reality ...perhaps it is my age but the B/W version in parts is almost as if filmed during WW1 .
    • Like Like x 2
  6. In the scene where The Kaiser presents Iron Cross medals, looking at his ribbon bars, it appears a couple of the ribbons were of WW2 era. The blue ribbons appear to have small Nazi Eagles on them. Weren't blue ribbons SS long service?
  7. The 79 version was ok but I prefer the original version. I've got it on DVD and often watch it when the house is empty.
    The actor who played Kat in the original died the following year with cancer, he played a good part in it.
  8. They made a few mistakes with the German uniforms in the 79 version, I think I read that they wear WW2 style leather straps that are Y shaped instead of straight, and used British bayonets in some scenes.
  9. Banned in Italy until 1956.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Terrific read! Felt like having three showers to get rid of the lice when I was done, and that was almost thirty years ago. Must have reread it at least three times before I lent it to a mate and never saw it again.

The original film was on late one night here a few months ago. It runs rings around the later John Boy version. I was looking forward to seeing the '79 remake, but felt he was a terrible piece of casting that diminished the film's power. An unknown name would have been a better option.
  11. Agreed. Must have caused an awful lot of confusion among US audiences.
  12. For anyone who's not read the sequel, The Road Back, it's well worth grabbing a copy.
  13. Thanks Filthy, had no idea there was a sequel. I've just noticed Remarque has written a couple more as well. He certainly creates vivid imagery.
  14. Well I believe it was filmed in Czechoslovakia and was a ITC product. hard to use Tiger tanks in film when like 4 exist and only 1 runs. Just realized I made a mistake they were Turkish style mausers instead of Gew98's