All posters on any threads relating to USA, READ THIS!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AndyPipkin, Jan 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.kiplinger.com/businessresource/summary/archive/2008/us-08-strafor.html

OK, some of you don't like Stratfor. I'm not saying take it as Gospel, but it makes some very interesting points.

There are those who say that perception is reality. Geopolitics teaches the exact opposite: There is a fundamental reality to national power, and the passing passions of the public have only a transitory effect on things. In order to see the permanent things, it is important to tune out the noise and focus on the reality. That is always hard, but nowhere more so than in the United States, where the noise is incredibly loud, quite insistent, and profoundly contradictory and changeable. Long dissertations can and should be written on the dynamics of public opinion in the United States. For Stratfor, the root of these contradictions is in the dynamism of the United States. You can look at the United States and be awed by its dynamic power, and terrified by it at the same time.......

Very wordy bandwidth banging essay edited. Follow the opening link. PTP

2. *Yawn* did anyone actually read this? I didnt get past the first line....

3. Clearly you didn't bossdog. Maybe you should?

4. Andy - I'm sure it's an illuminating article, but would you mind precising it for us?

Thanks,
    PB

5. WOW CHEERS ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

6. Can I get it as a ringtone?

7. FFS! If you want to post about Iraq, Afghan, Iran, Russia, Kosovo, basically anything regularly discussed on this board....

READ THIS IN FULL!!!!

Maybe then you will have a clue as to what is really going on!

As I said, not Gospel, but to me at least it makes a lot of sense.

8. Ta Da!! A precis....

"The United States is a powerful, complex and in many ways tortured society. But it is the only global power -- and, as such, it is the nation all others must reckon with."

9. Well fine, KotB, but if you really want to know what's going on in the world today, read the full article. Of course there are other players, Russia, China, increasingly India (certainly not Europe and particularly not the UK) but for now and the rest of our lives, the USA will define the game.

10. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Andy,

I've just scanned it and whilst interesting, it isn't that well informed and feels like a calming preach to the masses. I particularly like the bits about USA ruling the waves and that there is no strategic threat to itself.

First may be true in part, the second is optimistic at best.

The greatest threat that USA has is economic in origin. As it reels into recession, other States may just take the opportunity to prove to it there is other power to be had, other than the ability to fight war.

The greatest threat to the rest of the world is the US realising this and reacting as only the US can (at the moment)......

The only global power? Not for long....

11. OK cheapseats, who's next? China? Well I can discuss that for a while, the current missus being Chinese. Put it this way, China won't be able or desirous of challenging the USA for a long while yet. And having heard at first hand the ramifications of the 'One Child' policy, I'm damned glad of it!

12. I recommend "China: Friend or Foe" by Hugo de Burgh in that respect.

Make no mistakes, China WILL be a power to reckon with, and we'll all have to get used to that, even the USA. But it won't challenge US global hegemony, in our lifetimes at least.

13. roadster. Like the Roman Empire, the only power that can destroy the USA is the USA itself. But Europe is much further down that road....

14. Yeah Right on Andy.
    As I have said for years the States are going Hispanic, the Old style 'Brit' way of life and 'Justice' is now on the way out.
    As I sometimes say If it was stil New Amsterdam then there would have been no Civil War and Sarf Africa would still be ruled by Honkeys.
    john
    But Bloody long artical, hard work for folks like moi.

15. The Reader's Digest version:

America is great, yeehaw

The critical analysis:

Although you can be like a few billion people in the world, and feel indifferent.

What was the last bit of impending doom the US so valiantly overcame? I can't think of anything since WW2, and even that was unlikely to see the end of the US.

Nations should be built on slavery and run by traitors, then.

I don't think the natives considered genocide a better life.

Canada? The bigger neighbour to the north?

The American economy was nothing to write home about until WW2. Most technological achievements in the 18th, 19th century were British, spreading among Europe and Europeans around the turn of the 20th. What were Americans inventing?

The US wasn't indecisive, it was profiteering and waiting for the European powers to weaken each other.

International embarrassment, often at the hands of pyjama and sandal wearers, is not a catastrophe. Melodramatic tosh.

Balls. Utter, complete balls. The USN is large, but also largely shit, and a long way from controlling anything. The RN did control the world's oceans and built a rather large Empire doing so.

And the Chinese, Russians, Indians and Europeans would just let them? My hairy ricker.

Apart from the EU's.

I seem to recall the US not absorbing the great depression with relative ease.

Where are the old Empires of the world?

Except the US is reliant on other countries maintaining its economy. Europe or China could collapse the dollar tomorrow, taking the US down with it.

And as long as we pretend China and India don't exist all this is true.

Except that five sixths of the world aren't Muslim or clamouring to be so, and the only places that Al Qaeda's Caliphate has any chance in are third world backwaters that pose slighty less threat to the world than mutant jelly monsters.

Forgetting that Al Qaeda doesn't have command and control facilities, and most of the major players were in Saudi Arabia.

Germany declaring war on the US had nothing to do with it, then?

That would be meaningful if Al Qaeda had mounted numerous successful operation in the 300 years prior to Sep. 11th.

By disrupting what was ostensibly a secular state? Brilliant reasoning.

Apart from China, Europe, India, Russia, men in flip-flops...