All please read - Fundraiser for Selley Oak

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Petriburg, Jan 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The West Mids Police team who provide security for the CASEVAC flights coming in and out of Birmingham want to orgainise a serious fund-raiser to support not just Selley Oak, but as many Service charities as they can. Many of them have relatives or sons/daughters in the Forces, which is a big motivator for them.

The general idea is a "plane pull" along a stretch of tarmac followed by a relay stretcher race along the 14 miles to Selley Oak, each mile being done by teams from the Armed Forces and Emergency Services. Headley Court has already indicated that they could find four volunteers to start the relay and the idea would be to have the final mile completed by a sailor, soldier, airman and police officer.

The idea is to turn this into a national event and, for example, every UK Police Service, major football and rugby team and some well-known industries and pro-Forces TV personalities have been contacted for sponsporship.

I have the contact details of the Inspector who thought this up and is running with it.

Would any MODs reading this please pm me, I'll give you my work email and I'll then pass on the details and contact numbers I have so far.

You may also get this coming to you from Dozy Bint's direction, as I've already passed some stuff to her due to her involvment with the Gray's Lane campaign.

PB

2. No takers?

3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

You mean like a bit of an Arrse Team. You might PM PTP as it is more his neck of the woods.

4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Where will the money actually go?

5. Just spoken to Dozy Bint and the ARRSE Charity Team are on the case, or will be this evening!

Here's the text of the email that the West Mids Inspector is sending out:

I spoke to the guy yesterday and they're already getting some good response to this. They want to make it "National News", as they want to get the message out to all who are serving that there are members of the Great British Public that do care about the Armed Forces. My own feeling is that this would be a good way of showing that sentiment - as opposed to waving flags and tying ribbons round trees (not that there's anything wrong with that, either! :wink: ).

6. VB, check PM

PB