All MEDICAL chat & queries in here please.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Dav1888, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I applied to join the Royal Marines in 2003 when I was 15, I passed all tests but was rejected because i had been given an inhaler when i was younger. I then tried for the Army 2 years ago and was rejected again, told to come back in 4 years. Iam fit and use my inhaler sometimes when I have the cold. As long as my medical records say I have been 4 years clear should there be any problems in joining the forces?
  2. If you need to use an inhaler then you are not clear, Lying on your entry medical can lead to a very rapid discharge. I've seen several happen in the recent past.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. But as far as the army is concerned as long as my doctor says Iam 4 years clear then thats good enough for themi take it. Would joining TA be more appropriate?
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

You need to be clear of all inhaler use for four years mate and even if you are it's likely that you'll be sent for additional spirography to check your pulmonary capacity. Sorry.
  6. also see 'values and standards'
  7. What would the procedure be then if i applied again being 4 years clear? Would everything go ahead ok?
  8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Well, yes. But as mentioned above you're likely to have to do additional lung tests.
  9. wanted to join regulars but asthma is in the way!!!! :(
    bummer as i only have it very mild.
    but theres a chance it will pass over as its improving fast.
    Basically i havent had an asthma attack since i was 3 yrs old, i go camping and sleep in a damp tent at night, dont cough or weeze etc.
    Also never need my medication when running etc.

i went off my medication for as test (bad thing to do!) and didnt feel a slight change with my lungs/ windpipe or chest......

What do you think my chances are of not having it anymore?
  10. So were you told you couldn't join up??
  11. Talk to your GP, if after stopping the meds you still felt fine tell them. You might have 'grown out of it' I did, but as far as the Army are concerned you need to have 4 years attack and med free (although I could be wrong) before they'll consider you.

Good luck.
  12. Your right Scoobs 4 years Symptom and treatment free, that means not going to your GP regarding it in the last four years. If you havent anything regarding asthma on your med notes from your GP to the SMO at ADSC then you will be ok to proceed. When you get as far as the selection at ADSC you will have an addittional Spiro test...see countless threads on this.
  13. this is really helping me improve my exercise induced athsma, and i am confident that i will be fid of it by the time i want to join.

you can buy them from Argos also;>POWERBREATHE.htm

even though youve not got the symtoms, it may help reduce any reminent of wheaze, and put your mind at rest, plus they are just really good for improving performance ovarall, not just for those with medical problems.
    give it a go, it is the best £30 that i have spent.
  14. Rampage,

I joined up in 1991 with Asthma history. Went through the usual process but was then refused due to previous asthma (I had still been using inhaler until about 2 years before) A couple of letters later and the Army decided to give me a go, by sending me to Cambridge Military Hospital in Aldershot for a medical. Did the old VO2 max test then I was put on a treadmill with a tube and ECG machine strapped on and run to death until I died. Then the old VO2 test again to check recovery rate and Roberts yer dad's sisters husband I was in! Still here 17 years later having run my ass off in basic. At the end of the day, if you're fit enough you're fit enough, and I ended up in the Training School X country team.
    Good luck with it mate, just persist with the letters to the Doc's and things should work out. Fingers crossed for you :)
  15. thanks guys and yh im going to my asthma clinic and ohpefully they will test it
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.