Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Scroll down to mood disorders hope that may help
Thanks for the info - I was of the understanding that this had been updated in recent months hence why my appeal had been reversed as the info in the link provided is the same as what I originally appealed against and was successful - having spoken to my CSM they are going to try and find more info on it but they weren’t sure if they could send me the exact wording from the jsp950 - I’ll keep hunting around though ! Thanks again

Hello,

I've been looking forward to joining the army just now but recently just got the sack from the process because of my medical, which is a bit upsetting. 'Candidates with a history of sciatic pain with or without back pain are graded P8L8'.

I'd agree but I'm on my feet all day and am frequently doing 5-8km runs no problem, I'm not crippled or anything, plus I don't even think I actually was diagnosed with sciatica to my face at least. I remember telling the doctor years ago that I have back pain after doing weighted squats, being referred to the physio and she says to me "There's nothing the matter, just do core strength exercises" and that was the end of that. I do core exercises anyways, and to be fair I very rarely feel pain from my back if any lately.

I am appealing it, but I want to know if I'm wasting my time here, in fact is there any way of proving this? I wouldn't know how, do the army want x-rays or something? I'm not a scientician or anything so I'm sort of relying on my new GP for this (When I actually go see them for the first time that is).

Cheers,

Thanks for the info - I was of the understanding that this had been updated in recent months hence why my appeal had been reversed as the info in the link provided is the same as what I originally appealed against and was successful - having spoken to my CSM they are going to try and find more info on it but they weren’t sure if they could send me the exact wording from the jsp950 - I’ll keep hunting around though ! Thanks again
You're right. The "2017" one is in fact the September 2016 one linked in post #1 of this thread. The most recently updated version was issued two months ago, but only a small part was actually changed. I have a copy of it, and will endeavour to post the relevant bits soon.

Hi all,

How long should it take for the medical team at Pirbright to sign off medical paperwork post selection?

I did my selection in late October and during the medical i was told that there was a piece of missing paperwork that would need to be signed off before i could be loaded onto a course. So, i passed selection pending this being signed off. It was something that the NRC medical people hadn't sent over in time. After chasing this, they sent it over and Pirbright received it on the 14th of November.

Every time i have called the recruitment line they have given me a different answer so i thought i'd come here to see if anyone had an idea. They just kept telling me that i was a priority candidate because of my job choice, I've passed the rest of selection and i'm ready to go.

This is the last thing holding me back from getting a date so keen to get this sorted.

Thanks,

Hello all, so back in early September I had my application medically rejected due to a short period of work related stress in May/June of this year. I had been given a week off work and short course of sleeping tablets and am now fine.

In response to the rejection I appealed and asked instead for a deferral till June next year (ie. a year after the incident of stress) to prove that I have been a year without treatment and symptoms. I sent in a letter from my GP where he said that he considered me fully healthy and for the work stress to have been a one off incident due to circumstances.

I have been in travelling in Japan for the past month but I came back to find a letter confirming that my appeal has been upheld and that next year I will need to supply evidence to show that I have in fact been a year free of symptoms.

So (technically) I can be counted as a success story for the medical appeals process! If anyone has any questions about what I did and the process I am more than happy to answer them via pm or here.

just been looking at the medical requirements and it says I have to be 10 years clear of any fit or seizure I had a seizure at the age of 10 8 years ago and that is clearly under the requirement I had plenty of brain scans and other scans due to my age and after 6 months my consultant put it down to a fever (I did have a stinking cold at the time which my Dr thought was appendicitis even though I had them out before with evidence from the GP showing that to the best of their knowledge it was caused by a viral infection would I be able to attain a waiver for this (their is also the chance that it is written on my medical records as a faint) could any of you help on this

Does anybody know if sciatica causes a P8? I’m fit and active, work a challenging job, no limitations to my mobility etc, etc, awaiting my GP notes to be sent off but unsure whether this will get me a p8

Does anybody know if sciatica causes a P8? I’m fit and active, work a challenging job, no limitations to my mobility etc, etc, awaiting my GP notes to be sent off but unsure whether this will get me a p8

I posted further up in the thread and unfortunately I was binned for having sciatica, even though I can run 5 miles, do dead lifts etc no problem. I'm appealing, seeing how it goes.

Hello, the search function led me to page 95 of this thead where some members were discussing appeal letters but while helpful my issue was not identical. When my medical history was sent off to the army, results of tests were left out, if the results for these tests were positive I would likely not be able to join, however they were negative. This caused the army to put a hold on my application and request a letter if I wished to appeal. The common consensus seems to be to get as much relevant information as possible but that surely doesn't apply in my case. Would I be correct in thinking I just need a confirmation letter saying that the results which were left out of my medical history are negative and I am able to continue with my application?

Thanks for the help.

Hello, the search function led me to page 95 of this thead where some members were discussing appeal letters but while helpful my issue was not identical. When my medical history was sent off to the army, results of tests were left out, if the results for these tests were positive I would likely not be able to join, however they were negative. This caused the army to put a hold on my application and request a letter if I wished to appeal. The common consensus seems to be to get as much relevant information as possible but that surely doesn't apply in my case. Would I be correct in thinking I just need a confirmation letter saying that the results which were left out of my medical history are negative and I am able to continue with my application?

Thanks for the help.

so you think submitting a copy of the results isn't relevant?

Just a quick question regarding colourblindness at selection.
Is it a pass / fail type test when it comes to the severity of colourblindness, in other words can it stop you from joining full stop or is it just an assessment of how your colourblindness is?

Also from what I have read, is this correct?
Ishiahara test cp2
Lantern test cp3
Wire test cp4
Cp5 fail / can't join?

Thanks in advance