Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

I 100% understand your point and completely take on board your post. Luckly my ‘tremor’ has never effected my shooting i understand that I have never used a military issued weapon but I am actually quite a dab hand with an air rifle and a shotgun and my ‘tremor’ has never held me back or effected my shooting, I have good days and bad days but would be no less dangerous I believe than someone who has nervous shakes which are also uncontrollable. I’m booked into see the consultant soon and hope he will provide enough evidence to support my application, I’m sure the medical will be robust and my fate is in there hands
Problem is most nervous shakes wouldn't be medically diagnosed mate.

I 100% understand your point and completely take on board your post. Luckly my ‘tremor’ has never effected my shooting i understand that I have never used a military issued weapon but I am actually quite a dab hand with an air rifle and a shotgun and my ‘tremor’ has never held me back or effected my shooting, I have good days and bad days but would be no less dangerous* I believe than someone who has nervous shakes which are also uncontrollable. I’m booked into see the consultant soon and hope he will provide enough evidence to support my application, I’m sure the medical will be robust and my fate is in there hands

I can see this going down very badly on the range, and during drill/parades, and when donning CBRN kit, etc

Are you aware of anything that makes it worse/better?

Candidates with significant involuntary movement disorders, including Tourette’s and other similar syndromes, should be graded P8.
Candidates with slight involuntary movements (including mild tics) may be graded P2 after appropriate functional assessment. Advice should be sought from the single-Service Occupational Physician responsible for the selection of recruits.

the grading depends on how bad it's considered to be. I went through basic with a lad who had a mild tic, during training we noticed it getting slightly worse, eventually (a couple of years later), his inability to stand still (and keep quiet) during a parade got him reviewed and deemed unfit.

*did you mean 'no more dangerous?

Hi guys

Came out of training last year with a knee injury 2 weeks onto training. Got a bar for a year got told can re apply with a 3 month diary. Sent that off and re applied. Been waiting 6 weeks is that long for my medical to clear? Is there a chance that they will just not let me back?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but typically how long does it take for a response to an appeal?

p01glb4v.jpg

I can see this going down very badly on the range, and during drill/parades, and when donning CBRN kit, etc

Are you aware of anything that makes it worse/better?

the grading depends on how bad it's considered to be. I went through basic with a lad who had a mild tic, during training we noticed it getting slightly worse, eventually (a couple of years later), his inability to stand still (and keep quiet) during a parade got him reviewed and deemed unfit.

*did you mean 'no more dangerous?

*Over the last 6 months since my referral I have tried to really focus and try and identify any impacts that I have towards it, as I seem to have had it since I can remember this has been quite interesting. When I get nervous my hands shake but I don't think this unusual and this effects a lot of people, once I take a few deep breaths and focus my breathing it reduces and the more comfortable I get it reduces to nothing. Since Jan and deciding to pursue my application I have lost some weight, dramatically increased my exercise regime, reduced my alcohol and caffeine intake and taken a long hard look at my diet which has all made a massive difference. I believe that my 'Tremor' might be related to my diet and what I have/haven't eaten that day? I sometimes can go through a day not having eaten breakfast or lunch, I know very unhealthy! As a base line if I would say my tremor was at 100% in January where people were noticing ect but since doing all these changes people have actually commented on the noticeable difference I would say this month I am now down to 10% which is very positive I think in showing that I can control it.
** Wow this sounds very seriously, my 'tremor' for example as it is in my hands and no where else doesn't even effect my handwriting or anything in my life to be honest so I'm hoping that it would be taking into consideration. I am going to a consultant next month, would what he said be enough evidence do you believe?

Last edited: