• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Candidates can make a complaint against the handling of the recruitment process, by emailing
ARTD-RG-HQBusinessAssurance@mod.gov.uk

Unfortunately, moaning about a situation like this on arrse rarely gets seen by those who can actually improve it.

Like I said previously, if you feel you are screaming into the abyss then email and start an audit trail. Emails are easy evidence to see how often you are chasing this delay in a nice chronological order.

Also why not consider writing a letter to your local AFCO to place your experiences on record. It’s your potential career & you have a right to complain.

Oh and you think this admin is bad, just wait until you actually get in..

Think of it as character building.
I have now walked the letter in with as much details as possible to the AFCO. With a reply of why are you bringing it here send it to the NRC.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have now walked the letter in with as much details as possible to the AFCO. With a reply of why are you bringing it here send it to the NRC.

Just been told they are with the clinical team. So they are in the right place for now hopefully hear something before the end of the week.

Hello all, I have a few questions which I am in desperate need of answers and advice.

I started basic training in January 2018, I was MD’d due to my medical history, I HAD a hip injury at a young age, I was experiencing a discomfort growing up. I was sent home to get it treated as there wasn’t any room in the rehab centre, I was told after I had it treated and my GP was happy to for me to continue, I was welcome back..

I started the re-joining process, I was denied re-entry as they feel I’m unfit to join, even though I’ve done everything and beyond I was told to do?

I had treatment for my hip
I completed loads of hip strengthening exercises
I had an MRI scan - came back negative of any damage or disfigurement
I have made a six month diary of the training I have done for my re-entry

I am about to send off my 2ND APPEAL

Before I send it I am curious if there is anything I need to say or do in order for Me to be accepted back into the Army.

If anyone has experienced or knows anyone who has experienced this and has and has some advice for me it would be very welcome.

Thank you for reading this, I can answer any questions you have if it helps you understand where I am coming from. I hope someone gets back to be soon

Hello all, I have a few questions which I am in desperate need of answers and advice.

I started basic training in January 2018, I was MD’d due to my medical history, I HAD a hip injury at a young age, I was experiencing a discomfort growing up. I was sent home to get it treated as there wasn’t any room in the rehab centre, I was told after I had it treated and my GP was happy to for me to continue, I was welcome back..

I started the re-joining process, I was denied re-entry as they feel I’m unfit to join, even though I’ve done everything and beyond I was told to do?

Before I send it I am curious if there is anything I need to say or do in order for Me to be accepted back into the Army.

If anyone has experienced or knows anyone who has experienced this and has and has some advice for me it would be very welcome.

Thank you for reading this, I can answer any questions you have if it helps you understand where I am coming from. I hope someone gets back to be soon
If you send in another appeal don't go crazy with the caps lock

think - what am I appealing against?
What can I offer thats new, or am I just basically saying 'oh go on let me in'

what was the original injury? What treatment was given at the time, and what was given at this new episode, also don't forget over time the entry criteria can change, you may fall foul of a new rule that wasn't there before.

The caps locks was only for potential questions about the injury,

My injury was bursitis of the hip, a LT COL and my GP both said it was an easy fix (in different words)

Following my treatment and the success of the treatment I started my training and proved to have completely worked, I feel no discomfort, I’m just struggling to find a way to stress that I’m perfectly fine now and I am 100% capable to continuing my training,

If there was paperwork to sign where they’re not liable for any injury regarding my hip I would happily sign it because I am confident that it isn’t a problem.

I know there isn’t anything as such to sign it’s a n example that I am fit to join

Thank you for getting back to me

Hi
For a bit of clarification it wasn’t all tourniquets and tours for me. I also have a background in medicals for recruitment.

So, first question. Was this a MD or a deferral. Two very different disposals.

If the Senior Medical Officer of your training establishment indicated you would be fit to return following your treatment was this documented or was this a case of selective hearing on your part?

The onus is on you unfortunately to provide evidence and prove that you now meet the eligibility standards for entry. However, without knowing the ins & outs of your condition I can’t advise if it’s on the bar list. Although a failed appeal gives a clue.
There is nothing stopping you submitting another appeal, but it may be time to manage your expectations. An MD & failed appeal give a good indication of the likely outcome.

Last edited:

Clearly nobody is arsed.

Try not to be impatient, yes it’s been a long time but in the grand scheme of things it’s nothing.

You’ll be doing block jobs & litter sweeps in no time.

Besides you won’t even get the all inclusive Afghan holiday now, so you are missing nothing exciting. The army isn’t going anywhere.

Your app is moving along with the 1000s others.

Last edited:
Hi

Not sure of @theoriginalphantom background, but he makes solid points.

For a bit of clarification it wasn’t all tourniquets and tours for me. I also have a background in medicals for recruitment.

So, first question. Was this a MD or a deferral. Two very different disposals.

If the Senior Medical Officer of your training establishment indicated you would be fit to return following your treatment was this documented or was this a case of selective hearing on your part?

The onus is on you unfortunately to provide evidence and prove that you now meet the eligibility standards for entry. However, without knowing the ins & outs of your condition I can’t advise if it’s on the bar list. Although a failed appeal gives a clue.
There is nothing stopping you submitting another appeal, but it may be time to manage your expectations. An MD & failed appeal give a good indication of the likely outcome.
It was an MD and it certainly wasn’t selective hearing. I wouldnt post something public without being certain on what I am talking about.

I was mainly reaching out to the people who have been through this situation or know someone who has been through this situation, I have an appointment on Friday with my GP where hopefully he will have written the letter I requested that has a detailed description of my diagnosis, treatment and result.

I’m not one for quitting so I’m not just going to leave it at that.

I want to be in the Army, I’m fit enough for the Army, a company called Capita is the ones making the decision and I hear they’re not even military??

It was an MD and it certainly wasn’t selective hearing. I wouldnt post something public without being certain on what I am talking about.
Oh dear.

I’d suggest a very simple point for you to consider. Why were you medically discharged by decision of a medical board of clinicians and not deferred?

The answer would suggest you are medically unfit for service. Unfortunately for you the appeal appears to confirm this.

No, you are not fit for the Army and a evil private company is not out to upset you.

Capita only follows the standards set by HM forces. The pre-employment medical assessment is detailed by the Army Recruiting and Training Division.

Appealing with the clinical rational of your GP is helpful (slightly ridiculous you appealed without this the first time)

Manage your expectations- if you were fit enough to be a soldier you would be a soldier. You wouldn’t of failed the entry standards & subsequently failed the appeal.

Best of luck in your aspirations.

Last edited:

I was mainly reaching out to the people who have been through this situation or know someone who has been through this situation, I have an appointment on Friday with my GP where hopefully he will have written the letter I requested that has a detailed description of my diagnosis, treatment and result.

I’m not one for quitting so I’m not just going to leave it at that.

I want to be in the Army, I’m fit enough for the Army, a company called Capita is the ones making the decision and I hear they’re not even military??
Calm down dear, it's only the internet.

Take a look through this thread and any other medical ones and see the kind of utter bollocks we are offered to respond to.
If you want help them you'd be better off minding your virtual manners.

I was going to take a look in 'the Bible ' however, take a look yourself. I'm sure you'd not take any advice offered anyway

Calm down dear, it's only the internet.

Take a look through this thread and any other medical ones and see the kind of utter bollocks we are offered to respond to.
If you want help them you'd be better off minding your virtual manners.

I was going to take a look in 'the Bible ' however, take a look yourself. I'm sure you'd not take any advice offered a
Oh dear.

I’d suggest a very simple point for you to consider. Why were you medically discharged by decision of a medical board of clinicians and not deferred?

The answer would suggest you are medically unfit for service. Unfortunately for you the appeal appears to confirm this.

No, you are not fit for the Army and a evil private company is not out to upset you.

Capita only follows the standards set by HM forces. The pre-employment medical assessment is detailed by the Army Recruiting and Training Division.

Appealing with the clinical rational of your GP is helpful (slightly ridiculous you appealed without this the first time)

Manage your expectations- if you were fit enough to be a soldier you would be a soldier. You wouldn’t of failed the entry standards & subsequently failed the appeal.

Best of luck in your aspirations.
REPLY TO MEDIC

“Appealing with the clinical rational of your GP is helpful (slightly ridiculous you appealed without this the first time)”

I did appeal with a letter from my GP stating I am medically fit to re-join (in his opinion)

There decision made was also due to being a lack of evidence supporting my appeal.

I am not sure why you’re offended by my reply though??

I didn’t mean to offend or to come across as rude, I apologise if that is the way it came across.

REPLY TO PHANTOM

again you appear to be offended by my reply, I did not mean to cause offence so I apologise.

Last edited:
Relax,

Nobody is offended. Expect maybe you?

The beauty of Arrse is it connects you with folk that have done what you are looking to do.

I was managing your grand expectations.
It would appear you are unfit for the Army. Sorry.

However if you supply enough evidence of course it will be assessed again.

Medical standards for entry exsist for good reason & are rarely appealed for equally good reason.

Why risk a medically unsuitable person to enter into a stressful, demanding operational environment. It’s for your good as well as the Army.

Submit the appeal again if you so wish but don't enter into unqualified medical arguments. Leave that to the doctors. The board will review qualified supporting medical evidence and assses if you meet the minimum medical standards required.

Where would we be without standards eh?

Best of luck

Last edited:
Honestly, I respect everything you’re saying but I believe you’ve misunderstood everything I have said...

But there’s no point in going backwards and forwards covering the same ground.

I appreciate you taking the time to advise me on everything I wrote in my post. You’ve been a great help.

Wishing you all the best.

Honestly, I respect everything you’re saying but I believe you’ve misunderstood everything I have said...

But there’s no point in going backwards and forwards covering the same ground.

I appreciate you taking the time to advise me on everything I wrote in my post. You’ve been a great help.

Wishing you all the best.
I haven’t.

You were medically discharged and you are being prevented from rejoining due to a history of a musculoskeletal condition.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi, was just wondering what the rules are for past mental health issues. For context; I was NOT diagnosed with any mental health disorder, nor was I prescribed any medication. However I have had quite a few episodes of ‘low mood’ due to things that were happening at that point in my life, this was on and off as a teenager (13-16), I’ve been symptom free for two years now, I’m 18. Of course I won’t know exactly until I get to the medical stage (I’ve applied already) but if anyone knows, my question is; will a history of ‘low mood’ bar me from entry into the Army?

Hi folks!
This is my first post, but I've been lurking for some time!
My application is in! But I was wondering how individual the medical process is?

Basically there's no easy way to put this, but about 5 years ago I was in an abusive relationship. The person I was dating was mentally ill, (I think they called it Munchausens syndrome?). He thrived of the attention of multiple trips to A&E. Unknown to me he used to lace my food or drink with drugs, so I would present to A&E services looking like someone unwell. He was clever, and tricked the medical professionals and myself for about 2 years. One evening my friend walked in on him crushing a tablet and adding to my drink, and fair to say that blew his plan, and what had been happening for the past 2 years was out in the open.
Fortunately there is nothing at all wrong with my mental health, but my medical records show a slightly messy history due to this abuse.

Hi, was just wondering what the rules are for past mental health issues. For context; I was NOT diagnosed with any mental health disorder, nor was I prescribed any medication. However I have had quite a few episodes of ‘low mood’ due to things that were happening at that point in my life, this was on and off as a teenager (13-16), I’ve been symptom free for two years now, I’m 18. Of course I won’t know exactly until I get to the medical stage (I’ve applied already) but if anyone knows, my question is; will a history of ‘low mood’ bar me from entry into the Army?
A history of depression can be an issue particularly if medication was prescribed.

The extreme physical and mental stress you can be exposed to as a soldier (and a member of arrse some days) means that the Army is exceptionally wary with regard the medical suitability for service of any applicant with a history of mental health issues.

Low mood experienced by a teenager is quite different I’d suggest but, if your medical history indicates there was a diagnosed mental health condition, then unfortunately the medical standards for entry are clear.

This is in order to safeguard your wellbeing and the wellbeing of others who may have to rely upon you in an operational environment, potentially under extreme stress.

Last edited:
Hi folks!
This is my first post, but I've been lurking for some time!
My application is in! But I was wondering how individual the medical process is?

Basically there's no easy way to put this, but about 5 years ago I was in an abusive relationship. The person I was dating was mentally ill, (I think they called it Munchausens syndrome?). He thrived of the attention of multiple trips to A&E. Unknown to me he used to lace my food or drink with drugs, so I would present to A&E services looking like someone unwell. He was clever, and tricked the medical professionals and myself for about 2 years. One evening my friend walked in on him crushing a tablet and adding to my drink, and fair to say that blew his plan, and what had been happening for the past 2 years was out in the open.
Fortunately there is nothing at all wrong with my mental health, but my medical records show a slightly messy history due to this abuse.
Well that post escalated quickly.

And I would hope a substantial involvement with the Police. There are a number of offences here. Poisoning & controlling and coercive behaviour to name a few.

In terms of the medical, this would rely on evidence that you suffered no Illnesses/conditions that are on the bar list as a result of what occurred.

But a history of domestic violence alone would not bar you from entry.

Last edited:
A history of depression can be an issue particularly if medication was prescribed.

The extreme physical and mental stress you can be exposed to as a soldier means that the Army is exceptionally wary with regard the medical suitability for service of any applicant with a history of mental health issues.

Low mood experienced by a teenager is quite different I’d suggest but, if your medical history indicates there was a diagnosed mental health condition, then unfortunately the medical standards for entry are clear.

This is in order to safeguard your wellbeing and the wellbeing of others who may have to rely upon you in an operational environment, potentially under extreme duress.
Understood, thank you for the reply.

My medical records don’t state any diagnosed mental health conditions, all it states is low mood and some anxiety symptoms as a teenager, I did see a mental health organisation and a counsellor but still no diagnosis or medication.

I definitely understand and even agree with the rules in place to safeguard yourself and those around you, makes complete sense.

Cheers

Latest Threads