All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Aye, I went to the Doctor last year about a Knee Niggle to see about getting an X-Ray and I did. Nothing showed up so I just left it at that and never went back because I never had any major issues. Where as Osgood Schlatter was when I was young. I'm 23 now. I'll be okay, I'm not dying but I am hoping to get in to the Army. I'll give myself a couple of months, I'm good with that. Good luck Cakey.
Iirc approx 10% of osgood schlatter have continued symptoms after puberty.
I fact that you are needing radiographs suggests that you are still having symptoms.

It is probably worse that you did not return as there will not be a note on your records of how long you have been symptom free (especially since you were under investigation last year)

Aye, I went to the Doctor last year about a Knee Niggle to see about getting an X-Ray and I did. Nothing showed up so I just left it at that and never went back because I never had any major issues. Where as Osgood Schlatter was when I was young. I'm 23 now. I'll be okay, I'm not dying but I am hoping to get in to the Army. I'll give myself a couple of months, I'm good with that. Good luck Cakey.
good luck to you to mate

If you are seeing an osteopath then I assume that it is for back problems.
In which case you want that fully assessed before you start loading it up with weight and going distances.
no not back problems, had a shoulder issue but he sorts everything every time, I've had one or two shoulder probs over 10 years due to weight training but he always sorts it,

Iirc approx 10% of osgood schlatter have continued symptoms after puberty.
I fact that you are needing radiographs suggests that you are still having symptoms.

It is probably worse that you did not return as there will not be a note on your records of how long you have been symptom free (especially since you were under investigation last year)
After I started running several months last year I started getting a niggle, no pain, no aches just an odd feeling but I could still run and I built it up to a max 5 miles but I still went, explained I wanted to join the Military so I asked if it was possible to get an X-Ray because the Doctor couldn't find anything wrong so he sent me for one and I got one that day and there was no bone issues in my leg. The niggle was at the Inferior Pole of the Patella where Sinding Larsen Johansen Syndrome and Patella Tendinitis/Tendinosis tend to happen. The bump at my tibial tuberosity is pain free and has been for a while but the niggle could be coming from that or due to that.

When I spoke to the Doctor we discussed that if I need more stuff I've to come back, if not then it's assumed there has been no recurring issues and I haven't been back.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
After I started running several months last year I started getting a niggle, no pain, no aches just an odd feeling but I could still run and I built it up to a max 5 miles but I still went, explained I wanted to join the Military so I asked if it was possible to get an X-Ray because the Doctor couldn't find anything wrong so he sent me for one and I got one that day and there was no bone issues in my leg. The niggle was at the Inferior Pole of the Patella where Sinding Larsen Johansen Syndrome and Patella Tendinitis/Tendinosis tend to happen. The bump at my tibial tuberosity is pain free and has been for a while but the niggle could be coming from that or due to that.

When I spoke to the Doctor we discussed that if I need more stuff I've to come back, if not then it's assumed there has been no recurring issues and I haven't been back.
As you are obviously the expert on these matters, I shall comment no further.

Hope I’m in the right place.
Recently went to my selection and passed everything except my hearing test. I have been deferred and asked to see my local gp about my hearing health. Been to the docs and they can’t see any issue with my hearing. So I’ve sent the paperwork off to the army. Basically just wondering if they will want to retest me or just accept what the doc has said?

As you are obviously the expert on these matters, I shall comment no further.
Definitely not the expert and I appreciate all concern and advice but from what I've been told by the doctor which came out as nothing, the requested X-Ray was nothing and the 4th Year Physio Student saying it's Tendon related I can only go with that. He gave me exercises and stuff + I have full range of motion, no clogs, grinds etc so can only be optimistic with it and try not to **** myself up.

I'm good to discuss with you Fang, especially if you have any ideas or conclusions with what you think with this.

Hope I’m in the right place.
Recently went to my selection and passed everything except my hearing test. I have been deferred and asked to see my local gp about my hearing health. Been to the docs and they can’t see any issue with my hearing. So I’ve sent the paperwork off to the army. Basically just wondering if they will want to retest me or just accept what the doc has said?

it's going to depend on what your hearing test results are. There are set limits that you have to be able to hear (even for artillery) at certain frequencies. There being no issue as far as a civi GP is concerned is different to the tri-service definition.

Definitely not the expert and I appreciate all concern and advice but from what I've been told by the doctor which came out as nothing, the requested X-Ray was nothing and the 4th Year Physio Student saying it's Tendon related I can only go with that. He gave me exercises and stuff + I have full range of motion, no clogs, grinds etc so can only be optimistic with it and try not to **** myself up.

I'm good to discuss with you Fang, especially if you have any ideas or conclusions with what you think with this.
if there is any concern that it's related to osgood-schlatters then

Anterior Knee Pain (AKP) / overuse patellofemoral pain syndrome.
AKP is a major cause of failure to complete basic training and a history must be sought specifically. Candidates with a recurrent (3 or more episodes) or recent history of AKP, persistent symptoms or signs are normally graded P8L8. Candidates who have been symptom-free for at least 12 months (at least 24 months for Osgood-Schlatter disease) during activity comparable with military training for 3 months may be graded L2.

it's going to depend on what your hearing test results are. There are set limits that you have to be able to hear (even for artillery) at certain frequencies. There being no issue as far as a civi GP is concerned is different to the tri-service definition.
Thanks for your response, I’ll hopefully hear back next week and fingers crossed I can get onto my phase 1 ASAP

I have just been rejected from the Army due to medical grounds. I hurt my back when I was about 15 and then had episodes of pain growing up for around two years on and off, usually due to playing rugby. I was asked by my school to have a ct scan to ensure there was no lasting damage. The NHS said that no damaged or deformity was visible on the image and so then I was dismissed from the hospital. I have been symptom free for at least 15 months now and have been in the gym and regularly running. What would be the best way to appeal if anyones had any similar issues ?
thanks

right got an update, it was to do with the reflux, bit annoying really as haven't really needed the meds but kept buying them out of habit, I've not been taking them for about a month now, I know not long but I'm totally fine, do you think it's a case of go see my gp and ask him to write a letter to put point across? I don't mind if I got deferred for a year as no matter what I still want to go in.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
right got an update, it was to do with the reflux, bit annoying really as haven't really needed the meds but kept buying them out of habit, I've not been taking them for about a month now, I know not long but I'm totally fine, do you think it's a case of go see my gp and ask him to write a letter to put point across? I don't mind if I got deferred for a year as no matter what I still want to go in.

Unfortunately a month is just not long enough to be declared clear for any chronic condition.
But going to your GP and getting it recorded would be a start.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have just been rejected from the Army due to medical grounds. I hurt my back when I was about 15 and then had episodes of pain growing up for around two years on and off, usually due to playing rugby. I was asked by my school to have a ct scan to ensure there was no lasting damage. The NHS said that no damaged or deformity was visible on the image and so then I was dismissed from the hospital. I have been symptom free for at least 15 months now and have been in the gym and regularly running. What would be the best way to appeal if anyones had any similar issues ?
thanks
Appeals should contain information not previously presented.
Were discharge letters from hospital presented before?

And an exercise diary seems to be a popular choice.

Unfortunately a month is just not long enough to be declared clear for any chronic condition.
But going to your GP and getting it recorded would be a start.
I did think that, but I spoke to my gp and have asked him to write a letter putting accross reasons to accept my appeal, which I think will be rejected, but I'm hoping like ive seen on some previous appeal posts on here that they will say I can 're apply in a year which I wouldn't mind, cause that would mean I've still got a chance, also when I spoke to my gp today he said he will do the letter to help as much as he can, he is a good gp

also if you see attached it says about my kidneys which my doc says is wrong how they interpreted it as it was a blood test I had which when I took it I had had paracetamol and ibroprofen earlier in the day which made it come up wrong, to which he 're did it and I made sure I didn't have anything that could affect the test and came back fine, it's as if they just look at the bad bits and not the rest that explains it
20180618_203104_resized.jpg

also if you see attached it says about my kidneys which my doc says is wrong how they interpreted it as it was a blood test I had which when I took it I had had paracetamol and ibroprofen earlier in the day which made it come up wrong, to which he 're did it and I made sure I didn't have anything that could affect the test and came back fine, it's as if they just look at the bad bits and not the rest that explains it
View attachment 338819
they've rejected you on the chronic oesophagitis, it only states the kidney is 'of concern' although where you were on daily antacids (sensible while required) and taking NSAIDs (not generally so clever) you won't have been helping matters

they've rejected you on the chronic oesophagitis, it only states the kidney is 'of concern' although where you were on daily antacids (sensible while required) and taking NSAIDs (not generally so clever) you won't have been helping matters
the kidney thing was before the oesophagitis, about a year before it when I had no reflux issues, that's what my point is on it so why should they mention it when it's was maybe 3 years ago and the second blood test proved it was a false result because of taking Medicine(ibrofen, paracetamol) the day I got tested

Sadly failed my medical today. I haven't received my letter detailing what the failure was for but I suspect it will either be an old knee injury or ear infection.

If so I plan to get the medical issue solved before appealing or re-applying which could take some time. Does anyone know if there is a time limit to appealing. And if I do not appeal soon enough would I be permanently barred from entry or could I just start a whole new application in a years time, for instance?

Thanks