All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Actually, there might be some merit in that. If your school kept strict records of the dispensing of medication, and of the disposal of unused medicines (as you would like to think they should with Prescription only Medicine) then copies of the documents could be used to demonstrate that your usage was within the rules, assuming it was.
You are right, you read the whole thing properly, I got as far as 'letter from my old coachesl' (oddly an almost identical situation on another means but the letter there is going to be to prove the individual is 'really good at sport, and has always been keen to join the army')

Now guys, I've had my army brief last week and everything went well and the guy told me he'd be in contact in a couple weeks for a date for the assessment centre, however I'm abit on edge as I've had an inhaler from my gp in the past that was given to me to try out for a week but I didn't use it once and never have after that, I have not been diagnosed with asthma . It was given 3 years and 7 months ago. Do you think they'll push my assessment centre date back until it's been 4 years or let me at least go. I rang the Afco up and the woman just said to me see how I do on 1.5 mile run. Also I have been given anti depressants sometime last year however i have never actually been depressed it was just a matter of my nerves getting the better of me, i do not take them anymore and was only on them for 2 weeks max. will this be another problem?

Thanks
I was at selection last May and I had to appeal, check the JSP or whatever it is called and read the stuff that relates to you, you will most likely be having to appeal.

You will most likely be deferred for the depression as it was within 2 years and you took medication for it. They will make you do a spiro at selection too and they will find out if you really are asthmatic. Also don't lie to the selection Dr about anything as they have your medical records right in front of them when they ask you stuff.

Good luck!

Now guys, I've had my army brief last week and everything went well and the guy told me he'd be in contact in a couple weeks for a date for the assessment centre, however I'm abit on edge as I've had an inhaler from my gp in the past that was given to me to try out for a week but I didn't use it once and never have after that, I have not been diagnosed with asthma . It was given 3 years and 7 months ago. Do you think they'll push my assessment centre date back until it's been 4 years or let me at least go. I rang the Afco up and the woman just said to me see how I do on 1.5 mile run. Also I have been given anti depressants sometime last year however i have never actually been depressed it was just a matter of my nerves getting the better of me, i do not take them anymore and was only on them for 2 weeks max. will this be another problem?

Thanks
The inhaler will cause you to fail the online medical - if it was clearly prescribed for something such as a chest infection this won't be a major issue to appeal against.

Your medication for anti depressants will be a major issue.

Thanks
Within 2 weeks ? You'll be lucky (granted it's different for everybody).

6 weeks since my F2F/AB and this morning I've received a message on my portal from Army Medical admin that they're happy with my 'medical assessment', meaning my medical records.

Bearing in mind I'm notting digging the Army, its my GP's fault for delay, w*nkers lot of them.

The inhaler will cause you to fail the online medical - if it was clearly prescribed for something such as a chest infection this won't be a major issue to appeal against.

Your medication for anti depressants will be a major issue.
Thanks for the reply, do you know what will happen with the anti depressants, will I be able to appeal as I never stated that I was depressed it was more about being nervous

Thanks for the reply, do you know what will happen with the anti depressants, will I be able to appeal as I never stated that I was depressed it was more about being nervous
it doesn't matter what you stated, it's what the Dr has written and diagnosed you as.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just got off phone with drs, i was prescribed citalopram in march 2017 and for "feeling anxious"
Ok, your next task is to look up anxiety in JSP950.

I'm not usually an impatient guy, but is/has anyone else's GP been taking the Michael to do their medical history forms?! Been waiting weeks now, and annoys me more when I see people say that their GP 'did theirs in 10 minutes'. I know my history isn't too taxing, so it shouldn't take long. Anyone else in the same boat?

Hi
Don't know if anyone here can help:
My medical records show I have been diagnosed with eczema NOS, which means Not Otherwise Specified. I used to get it on the back of my wrist where my wrist and hand meet but have been free of it for years. At some point one of the nurses has recorded this as hand eczema.

My GP didn't put this on my RGMD form but I mentioned it at the medical at the ASC and have been deferred.

I've read the JSP 950 and it says
"Candidates with a history of mild episodes of skin irritation that is not atopic or contact dermatitis, is not affecting the hands, or affecting function and with no history of childhood atopic dermatitis may be graded FIT. Candidates with active dermatitis of any kind are normally graded UNFIT.

I'm confused now as i don't have active dermatitis so wouldn't fall into the unfit category but my medical records suggest it was on my hands rather than top of my wrist which would mean I wouldn't fall into the fit category.

Also when it says "would normally be graded fit/unfit" does this mean there is a grey area?

Sorry for the long post - this is all new to me and I'm a bit lost

I'm not usually an impatient guy, but is/has anyone else's GP been taking the Michael to do their medical history forms?! Been waiting weeks now, and annoys me more when I see people say that their GP 'did theirs in 10 minutes'. I know my history isn't too taxing, so it shouldn't take long. Anyone else in the same boat?

Its not unusual to wait weeks - GPs are legally allowed up to 40 working days (8 weeks) to return your med forms

Some GPs are great and return the forms quickly others are not - it's totally random.

Chase your GP though - go in and hassle them on a regular basis.

Morning all.
Broke my ankle in 2009 and had a plate in there And this year wanted to join the army Reserves. So fill online applications, had interview, all good, so onto the assessment centre, 2days before that, had the letter no one wanted. Rejected. :-( Osteoporsis they said.? So I appealed with my medical records and a cover letter and a letter off my GP, after he examined me, fit and well ankle back to normal, with full movement and full strength.
But now my appeal was rejected.! Is it worth fighting this or just leave it as it is. Do I get a physio, more tests to prove that I haven’t got Osteoporosis..

Any help would be appreciate. Thank you.

Morning all.
Broke my ankle in 2009 and had a plate in there And this year wanted to join the army Reserves. So fill online applications, had interview, all good, so onto the assessment centre, 2days before that, had the letter no one wanted. Rejected. :-( Osteoporsis they said.? So I appealed with my medical records and a cover letter and a letter off my GP, after he examined me, fit and well ankle back to normal, with full movement and full strength.
But now my appeal was rejected.! Is it worth fighting this or just leave it as it is. Do I get a physio, more tests to prove that I haven’t got Osteoporosis..

Morning all.

as per the other thread.
Early osteoporosis is normal in certain situations, it would appear that you fit that criteria.

Recently been to the doctors , the steroids issued were for wheezing and because of the possibility of asthma , the outcome being I don’t have it . I also had a peak flow test whilst there scoring the correct score .

Dear all,

I am appealing a P8 for a single episode of non-radiating back pain. I'm not sure why this is a problem, as I am suitable according to the JSP950, but I cannot dispute this I guess.

I am considering attending a Sports Therapy clinic as they deal with musculoskeletal injuries to get the all clear. They are technically physiotherapists, but just focus on musculoskeletal injuries which is the problem I have. Is this suitable as a replacement for a GP report?

Cheers.

Dear all,

I am appealing a P8 for a single episode of non-radiating back pain. I'm not sure why this is a problem, as I am suitable according to the JSP950, but I cannot dispute this I guess.

I am considering attending a Sports Therapy clinic as they deal with musculoskeletal injuries to get the all clear. They are technically physiotherapists, but just focus on musculoskeletal injuries which is the problem I have. Is this suitable as a replacement for a GP report?

Cheers.
is this just from the online medical questions?

No, the OMQ was fine for some reason. This is after the RGMD was submitted.

Thanks
as you are familiar with JSP 950 you'll be aware of th is

a. Candidates with a single episode of simple acute back pain with no radiation which has responded to treatment, without structural cause in the previous 12 months and who are now asymptomatic with activity comparable with military training for a minimum of 6 months may be graded P2 provided the triggering event indicates that the individual is not at undue risk of recurrence

b. Candidates with a history of three or more episodes of back pain are to be graded P8L8.
c. Candidates with any episode of chronic back pain (at least 12 weeks) are graded P8L8
d. Candidates with a history of sciatic pain with or without back pain are graded P8L8
its going to depend on how long the pain is recorded as having lasted, and the cause of the back pain.

Any proper medical evidence can be submitted - and the sports therapy clinic counts, just remember they are not experts in what counts for the army. They'll most likely keep to facts - the patient displays the following signs and symptoms, or doesn't display evidence of ... and not 'this person is suitable for the army'