All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

My son has received a P8L8 and an S8 and refusal from the army . How can he appeal these as he had these under the age of 16 years old but is now 19 years old without any of these problems.
Take a look through the medical recruiting thread.

Also look for JSP 950, some conditions are a pemanent bar to entry. Some have a minimum time limit since last treatment before application

Last edited:
I was medically deferred at assessment for having a high blood pressure, which I'm just going to put down to nerves. I went to my GP for a 24hr monitor and successfully got everything sorted.

Would a high blood pressure reading cause any more problems at phase 1, even if I have went to the GP and had it 'cleared'?

I was medically deferred at assessment for having a high blood pressure, which I'm just going to put down to nerves. I went to my GP for a 24hr monitor and successfully got everything sorted.

Would a high blood pressure reading cause any more problems at phase 1, even if I have went to the GP and had it 'cleared'?
only if you keep on getting high blood pressure, bearing in mind many people get 'white coat syndrome' it's well known that simply the act of taking a blood pressure will be stressful for some people. try to relax while it's being taken, don't tense up your arm. if you live on energy drinks/caffiene then cut back.

@theoriginalphantom just a quick question on behalf of a friend or anyone who can answer or advise 10yrs ago he failed medical for having 95% hearing out of 100. could that be good grounds for a appeal for infantry role.
Too vague to say, a hearing test from 10 years ago is so out of date as to be useless.

Ok i understand so as a person that seems quite knowledgeable. Would you say if it came up today for him and solely that. Would you think it would be an issue.
If it was enough to bar entry then it's likely to be a bar to entry now. I'm fairly sure the entry hearing standards have not changed in that time.
It's worth going for a hearing test anyway and seeing what the current results are.

Having googled and had a stalemate with my GP, there appear to be two ways to measure the waist circumference: one closer to hips and the other further up at a narrower part (see image).
6F9D21FA-8700-415D-9DC0-2E89410B7879.jpeg
Though pedantic, can anyone advice where the army defines the waist for females? I have attempted to call the Medical Centre but have had little success in getting through.

Having googled and had a stalemate with my GP, there appear to be two ways to measure the waist circumference: one closer to hips and the other further up at a narrower part (see image).
View attachment 327423
Though pedantic, can anyone advice where the army defines the waist for females? I have attempted to call the Medical Centre but have had little success in getting through.
Though im no female, does it matter where they measure? I believe it's measured on hips.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Are you being a twat? Of course you are.

Calm down dear, it's only the internet.

PS don't bite, it only encourages us, which is a bad thing in a serious part of the site.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Though im no female, does it matter where they measure? I believe it's measured on hips.

Well it obviously matters to the asker or she wouldn't have asked!

Why would they measure a waist on the hips? That would a hip size not a waist size.

Not particularly, it’ll just delay when I pass my medical.

What are the waist measurements actually for? I was aware they check BMI but as far a I know, that's measured with height and weight.
If your BMI is between 28-30 your waist is measured and must be below a certain measurement. I have a fairly muscular build due to powerlifting and rugby so I was advised to get my waist measurements in check.

Not particularly, it’ll just delay when I pass my medical.

If your BMI is between 28-30 your waist is measured and must be below a certain measurement. I have a fairly muscular build due to powerlifting and rugby so I was advised to get my waist measurements in check.
I powerlift too! Nice sport choice haha

My BMI was pretty high when I last checked and I didn't know about the waist measurement workaround. In the end I just cut like I would for a competition- easy enough, back within 'healthy' BMI bracket after about a month. Possibly an option for you?

I powerlift too! Nice sport choice haha

My BMI was pretty high when I last checked and I didn't know about the waist measurement workaround. In the end I just cut like I would for a competition- easy enough, back within 'healthy' BMI bracket after about a month. Possibly an option for you?
A great sport, somewhat underrated!
I’m currently on a cut which I hope will get my BMI below 28 but just covering all the bases as it’s a form filling exercise for the GP.

A great sport, somewhat underrated!
I’m currently on a cut which I hope will get my BMI below 28 but just covering all the bases as it’s a form filling exercise for the GP.
Fair enough. What role are you going for? Aside from Infantry and RAC, the static lifts and weighted carry test for the other roles should be a breeze for someone with a lot of lifting experience.

Fair enough. What role are you going for? Aside from Infantry and RAC, the static lifts and weighted carry test for the other roles should be a breeze for someone with a lot of lifting experience.
I'm joining the reserves (Officer) considering RE/REME but if I can get my run time near or below 09:30 then I may look into Rifles or Yeomanry. The functional tests are a 'light work' but the extra body weight slowed me down a bit, but I used to minimal cardio. I'm sure I can improve by 45 seconds come the time.