All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hey everyone,

So I ended up passing the paperwork side of the medical and I went for my face-to-face medical the other day. That went excellently and the doctor said I had no problems... and then handed me a peak flow meter and told me to fill it in for a week. Note I've had no problems with cardio or running in the past, and exercise regularly. My brother had childhood asthma but I have had no such problems at any point in my life. I have also done the Wim Hof Method (breathing exercise and breath retention) on and off for the past few years, so I thought my lung capacity was pretty solid. I'm never out of breath, wheezy or cough a lot. No history of hay fever or irritable lungs.

This was until I checked out what the 'normal' score for a 22 year-old male is supposed to be - at the 560-570 mark. I'm 60-70 away from that, and this has me worried for my future career path. I'm not sure if my lungs are under-capacity for someone my age and if this could be a problem for my application, or if I'm just using the peak flow meter wrong and screwing up the technique, or if my lung capacity has gone down a bit since I haven't done the Wim Hof Method in about a year. What do you people think? The last thing I want is some poor technique on a self-administered test to screw things up.

Thank you in advance.

Interesting that you think that there is a technique to one of the simplest tests that there is.

Peak flow is not necessarily about absolute capacity but about how quickly you can blow air out.

As she said "you put your lips together and blow."

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Could anyone offer any advice?

I was recently medically discharged from basic training. I was homesick and disorientated, and I struggled to adapt to the overnight change to military life and discipline after living a cushy life as a civilian. I didn't want to wait for 6 weeks to DAOR, so I went to the med centre on impulse and feigned an illness that I knew would get me discharged and sent home quicker.

Long story short, as soon as I walked out of the gate, I realised I had made the biggest mistake of my life and wished I could turn back the clock and just man up for a few weeks until I settled in. After getting home, I couldn't sleep because I felt like such an idiot and have since been researching any possible means of having a second chance. The door has been left open to reapply, but a deferral of <1 year has been imposed before I may submit another application. I poured my heart and soul into joining the army over the past year, with countless lifestyle changes and assessments I had to take in order to reach the required standards. It was my dream job and I threw it all away in a moment of madness.

My question is, do you think it would be possible to let the army know of the situation, and ask to have a second chance? I doubt they would take kindly to me admitting that I had been dishonest to get discharged, but I wasn't thinking straight when I did it, I hadn't slept for 2 nights and I made a stupid impulsive decision that I am now paying dearly for. I wish I could just go back in time and undo it but surely there must be an option to fix this?

They have given you an option, the defer and reapply.

But as you have already worked out, the army does not react well to deception.

What makes you think that you will cope any better with the lifestyle changes now as compared to recently?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Did you type that last sentence with a straight face?

I did as it happens.

I'd love to find out what the official response is.

I know what happened to people who'd been caught out during basic.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Interesting that you think that there is a technique to one of the simplest tests that there is.

Peak flow is not necessarily about absolute capacity but about how quickly you can blow air out.

As she said "you put your lips together and blow."

ACDC said it better

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The reason I was unable to cope with the lifestyle was I lost sight of the bigger picture. I knew full well that the real army wasn't going to be like basic training, but I was so sleep deprived that all I could think about was sleeping in my own bed without a room full of guys shouting and snoring all night. My section had a few infantry lads who although they were decent blokes, they were very loud and 'laddish' 24/7 which made it impossible to sleep or wind down.

I won't go into specifics, but I was going into a really good job in the army that would have set me up for life, not to mention it was in my area of interest and something I would have really enjoyed once training was over and done with. If I was to have another go at the army, I would remind myself to just get training over and done with, and then it would all be worth it after.

My discharge wasn't premeditated, it was genuinely an impulsive sleep-deprived decision to alleviate my immediate problems without thinking about the long term implications. Next time I would be more rational and remember why I joined up in the first place.

I have decided the best course of action is to wait out the deferral and re-apply. I have no legs to stand on to appeal, not to mention I deserve the punishment of having to wait and to ensure I have time to reflect on the mistake and mentally prepare for a potential return to service. I was discharged a few months ago, there isn't that much time left before I can re-apply, so an appeal is probably not even worth it at this point.

If you can not cope with having to sleep in the same room as others and/or can not function with a bit of sleep deprivation, are you sure that the Army is the right career for you?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
@Fang_Farrier What are your thoughts on my PEFR score going up so significantly with a new peak flow meter? I've been using the new one for 4 days now and my score has been anything from 570 to 620. They are both rated to the same EU ISO 23747 standard.

If others are passing using the standard meter then perhaps the issue is not with the meter.

Well, I'm over 50years old and can easily score 650.

Dannymac97

Swinger
Hi guys, has anyone here had any luck with trying to get an approved allergy clinic to test you and if so which one did you use? All the clinics approved seem to be refusing private referrals and GP's don't consider it a medical need to get it on the NHS.
Any advice would be appreciated

So on the JSP 950 when talking about depression it talks about episodes. What duration of time would be considered an episode ie I took antidepressants for 6 months then never took them again. Would that count as one episode as it was like i took them was off a year then went back on.

alster29

Swinger
So on the JSP 950 when talking about depression it talks about episodes. What duration of time would be considered an episode ie I took antidepressants for 6 months then never took them again. Would that count as one episode as it was like i took them was off a year then went back on.
You probs won’t get in, it’s worth a try though but they’re very serious about antidepressants

You probs won’t get in, it’s worth a try though but they’re very serious about antidepressants
Oh yeah im not getting my hopes up, just spoke to the AFCO and he asked their medical advisor or something (I know its not the same ones in recruitment) and apparently they said to just try it anyway since its been past the time needed on the JSP if it were 1 episode but just forgot to ask them about the episode specific thing and obviously they closed rn.

Morning all,

Quick one just for anyone who is looking about Blood pressure stuff.

I recently got a 3 month medical deferral for suspected high blood pressure with 3 readings at the medical in the range of 150/90 --- 145/95
I have never had any issues with this in the past so as you can imagine it came as a bit of a shock.

Despite this I had to organise a 24hr BP test my with local GP, this became very tedious, as there are limited spaces for 24hr tests were I live, and I was not a priority.
My doctor actually rang capita and insisted i have another medical before doing this test, they refused.

I eventually after 2 months on the waiting list managed to book the test. Received the results, average BP over 24 hours was 121/73 with a resting heart beat of 58.

Long drawn out process for a little bit of white collar syndrome. And its good to know there is nothing wrong with my blood pressure, and also found out you have to pay a doctor
£50 for a signed letter. The joys.

Back on track now, but still waiting for the Army to update me.

Hi,

My situation regarding blood pressure is literally a carbon copy of yours (similar initial readings at the medical and similar average BP after 24 hour ambulatory BP monitor. Was just wondering if you were successful in progressing?

Many thanks,

Sam.

Morning all,

Quick one just for anyone who is looking about Blood pressure stuff.

I recently got a 3 month medical deferral for suspected high blood pressure with 3 readings at the medical in the range of 150/90 --- 145/95
I have never had any issues with this in the past so as you can imagine it came as a bit of a shock.

Despite this I had to organise a 24hr BP test my with local GP, this became very tedious, as there are limited spaces for 24hr tests were I live, and I was not a priority.
My doctor actually rang capita and insisted i have another medical before doing this test, they refused.

I eventually after 2 months on the waiting list managed to book the test. Received the results, average BP over 24 hours was 121/73 with a resting heart beat of 58.

Long drawn out process for a little bit of white collar syndrome. And its good to know there is nothing wrong with my blood pressure, and also found out you have to pay a doctor
£50 for a signed letter. The joys.

Back on track now, but still waiting for the Army to update me.

Hi,

My situation regarding blood pressure is literally a carbon copy of yours (similar initial readings at the medical and similar average BP after 24 hour ambulatory BP monitor. Was just wondering if you were successful in progressing?

EDIT: Also worth saying on the 24 hour monitor I had a few readings over the 140/90 threshold but the average was 122/59. Did you have any readings over the threshold on the 24 hour monitor and did it cause you any issues. Thanks

Many thanks,

Sam.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Good afternoon

I’ve recently applied to join the reserves.
I applied to join the regs back in 2018 however was deferred due to having Aspergers. I attempted to appeal and lost my appeal which is understandable. For the past 3 years I’ve spent time attempting to get a rediagnosis. Back in March it was understood I no longer showed signs of Aspergers and it was rescinded from my medical record. I attempted to reapply for the reserves on Monday and failed the first medical questionnaire ‘have you ever been diagnosed with Aspergers‘. I’ve sent away my appeal with confirmation that I no longer show signs of aspergers and it has been rescinded. Im pretty sure the only thing the army can say is I need a minimum period between the condition was removed and applying.

Has anyone had a similar issue? As for many this is a long life dream so any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks

So basically your coping strategies are better.

Aspergers is a life long condition.

So basically your coping strategies are better.

Aspergers is a life long condition.
I understand your comment. There’s controversy between myself and the consultants that the tests when I were younger were more ask the parent compared to asses the patient hence why they have stated ’diagnosis rescinded’. Due to their beliefs I never actually had it

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I understand your comment. There’s controversy between myself and the consultants that the tests when I were younger were more ask the parent compared to asses the patient hence why they have stated ’diagnosis rescinded’. Due to their beliefs I never actually had it

But earlier consultants did think that you had it. What age were you diagnosed?
In my experience, a diagnosis is made from multiple sources, not just parents. School, health and direct observation are usually involved

Hi all,

Cutting a long story nice and short, I was hoping to join the reserves about two years ago but was knocked back due to the fact I was taking medication to treat high blood pressure, which is fair enough and I understand their reasons behind that.

Fast forward to NOW however, and two years of a much more physically active job and a better diet, my blood pressure is now well within what's expected of my age group - to the point the doctor is now intending to wein me off my medication completely.

Hyperthetically, what stance would the army take with me, as someone who once had high blood pressure but it's now good / normal and potentially someone who would no longer be on any medication?

Is there a period of time that would have to pass of being free of medication before they'd reconsider my application or would I still be deemed ineligible on health grounds regardless of being no longer on medication and my blood pressure maintaining normal readings?

There's lots of info regards applicants who currently have hypertension (treated or untreated) however I can't find anything about those who have it now under control and are no longer on medication.

Many thanks guys

Last edited:
Anybody got any experience with bad shin splints in basic? I'll be going in with them, sh***ing myself about it, any advice?
I would see if you could defer until recovered.

Also - stretching.

Not a recruit question as such... A while ago I suffered 3 hernias at L4 and L5 resulting in loss of power to one leg. GP has been great over two years with meds and pain relief but physio advice sadly sub par. Muscle deterioration in the leg (upper and lower) is at about 30%. Anyone got any good training / physio sheets for same or similar?

Latest Threads