All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’m pretty sure it’s dentist, as it says dental check up? Should I be pretty concerned?

To be honest, yes. A 4 is a sign of significant periodontal disease.

You might want to see if you can get seen by a hygienist soon.

(Can also be linked to heart disease)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In due to start basic on the 18th. In your opinion, am I looking at a high percentage of an MD ?

JSP950 Annex M

1. Candidates should have:

b. Healthy gums and oral mucosa, with no obvious soft tissue disease or deformity.

In the footnotes it states P8 if the disease can not be stabilised with 2 hours of dentistry.

As such it may come down to if there is a hygienist present at the local dental centre who can get your gum disease under control with a few appointments.

In the meantime you have a couple of weeks to try to help it yourself.

Helpful hints.
Stop smoking if you smoke.

Brush twice day, it really is that simple, however what is important is the method of brushing. Normally I would show a patient on a model with a toothbrush but I'll have to try to describe it instead.

You need to brush top and bottom separately. You want the tooth brush angled up for the top teeth and down for the lowers. The brush should be at about 45' ideally right at the gum margin. Short movements brushing each tooth in turn as you move along. The ideal being that the brush bristles will get around the teeth and up under the gum.
Don't worry if they bleed at the moment, that's because of the gum disease.

Goose1991

Clanker
JSP950 Annex M

1. Candidates should have:

b. Healthy gums and oral mucosa, with no obvious soft tissue disease or deformity.

In the footnotes it states P8 if the disease can not be stabilised with 2 hours of dentistry.

As such it may come down to if there is a hygienist present at the local dental centre who can get your gum disease under control with a few appointments.

In the meantime you have a couple of weeks to try to help it yourself.

Helpful hints.
Stop smoking if you smoke.

Brush twice day, it really is that simple, however what is important is the method of brushing. Normally I would show a patient on a model with a toothbrush but I'll have to try to describe it instead.

You need to brush top and bottom separately. You want the tooth brush angled up for the top teeth and down for the lowers. The brush should be at about 45' ideally right at the gum margin. Short movements brushing each tooth in turn as you move along. The ideal being that the brush bristles will get around the teeth and up under the gum.
Don't worry if they bleed at the moment, that's because of the gum disease.
Honestly can’t thank you enough for the help and tips. My gums do not bleed when I am brushing, the last 7 weeks I have been using the gum disease mouth wash and toothpaste.

Hopefully it it’s all ok.

Thanks again

Can anyone tell me the specific CP2 testing procedure for the army medical? Is it identical to the navy procedure (Full 24 plate ishihara, second chance on a max of 3 plates and binned down to CP3 if any failures)? Just had a chat with a soldier in the REME and they only seem to remember whizzing through 5-6 plates.

The reason I ask is, I have mild red-green. Only in as much as I'll fail 1-2 plates on the full 38 plate Ishihara, but can pass the Holmes-Wright with ease. I've known this for a while and hence got rid of any aspiration of ever joining the RAF/RN/AAC. So of course that's why I'm going for int corps, which turns out is the only other f*cking reg which has a CP2 requirement for officers.

Assuming it goes wrong on the day, and it is down to a single plate or 2 that I fail, does that mean i'll be immediately slammed shut out of int corps from there on out? Can I only appeal the medical result itself, or can I appeal directly with the reg i'm trying to join? More eloquently put, just how f*cked am i?

Need some help for my Son we are trying our third and last Appeal. My so left Marine training in November 2019, medical discharge “low mood”.
In short he did not want to stay in the marines ignorantly he told the Dr he was “down”. The let him leave with “low mood” on his papers.
He was never depressed in low mood or anything he just wanted to get out.
He never visited a Dr as he never had issues.
He stupidly put on his application that he was in low mood when his grandma died, bloody kids.
He did not have a clue what impact this would have on future applications.
So APPEAL 1 - not acceptable, more than one count of “ low mood”, which incidentally does not constitute a mental health issue.
Appeal 2 - you have had severe depression- total untruth, no idea whose records they were looking at but it wasn’t my sons.
Each appeal we have provided a Drs letter but of course he cannot say anything other than he has never seen my son because he has nothing wrong.
We have no idea what evidence we are supposed to get as anything we get will only prove he does not have issues NOW.
We are happy to get a psychiatric report but have no idea If this will help?
Please we just need to be able to get it over he is ignorant and has never had mental health issues

No idea how to approach the third Appeal any advice would be gratefully received

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Need some help for my Son we are trying our third and last Appeal. My so left Marine training in November 2019, medical discharge “low mood”.
In short he did not want to stay in the marines ignorantly he told the Dr he was “down”. The let him leave with “low mood” on his papers.
He was never depressed in low mood or anything he just wanted to get out.
He never visited a Dr as he never had issues.
He stupidly put on his application that he was in low mood when his grandma died, bloody kids.
He did not have a clue what impact this would have on future applications.
So APPEAL 1 - not acceptable, more than one count of “ low mood”, which incidentally does not constitute a mental health issue.
Appeal 2 - you have had severe depression- total untruth, no idea whose records they were looking at but it wasn’t my sons.
Each appeal we have provided a Drs letter but of course he cannot say anything other than he has never seen my son because he has nothing wrong.
We have no idea what evidence we are supposed to get as anything we get will only prove he does not have issues NOW.
We are happy to get a psychiatric report but have no idea If this will help?
Please we just need to be able to get it over he is ignorant and has never had mental health issues

No idea how to approach the third Appeal any advice would be gratefully received

Appeals generally require new medical evidence .

How are you going to prove that the previous record of low mood wasn't correct?
When people use an excuse (lie) to get a result they want at the time they generally don't consider any possible long term consequences.

Appeals generally require new medical evidence .

How are you going to prove that the previous record of low mood wasn't correct?
When people use an excuse (lie) to get a result they want at the time they generally don't consider any possible long term consequences.
Thanks for your reply, at no point have we suggested lying.
You obviously dont understand what my Son has done.
He has misinterpreted feeling sad as low mood and not understood that “low mood” is considered a mental health issue.
He is obviously has no intention of denying the “episode” in the Marines but the other episode was him being sad about his Grandfather passing

He has misinterpreted feeling sad as low mood and not understood that “low mood” is considered a mental health issue.

Well, he did such a convincing job that a medical professional concurred and signed off on the diagnosis and committed it to the permanent record. This is not a thing that another doctor can repudiate now.

So, I applied for to be a reservist and my eyesight in my left eye failed as it was -6.25. As you can imagine I was disappointed as, if I applied a few months earlier before my latest eyesight test, I would have passed.

However , I spoke to my optician who said that my acuity at -6.25 was 6/5. If it were corrected to -6.00 (the entrance limit) it would be 6/6 (considered normal) which is massively better than 6/36! Have you seen what 6/36 is on the chart? Perhaps my understanding is incorrect but how is it my best vision corrected at -6.25 (6/5) would fail yet someone having -6.00 with 6/36 would pass. Like I said, corrected at -6.00 at 6/6 is better than the minimum requirement.

I'm not here to ask "should I appeal?" as I'm going to and my optician was happy to help me with my appeal.

I'll keep you updated as to how it goes. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So, I applied for to be a reservist and my eyesight in my left eye failed as it was -6.25. As you can imagine I was disappointed as, if I applied a few months earlier before my latest eyesight test, I would have passed.

However , I spoke to my optician who said that my acuity at -6.25 was 6/5. If it were corrected to -6.00 (the entrance limit) it would be 6/6 (considered normal) which is massively better than 6/36! Have you seen what 6/36 is on the chart? Perhaps my understanding is incorrect but how is it my best vision corrected at -6.25 (6/5) would fail yet someone having -6.00 with 6/36 would pass. Like I said, corrected at -6.00 at 6/6 is better than the minimum requirement.

I'm not here to ask "should I appeal?" as I'm going to and my optician was happy to help me with my appeal.

I'll keep you updated as to how it goes. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

You can not appeal against the set standards.

Appeals are only to present new evidence that you meet the standards.

Hi everyone i am waiting for my gp to send off my medical records and i am worried because 10 years ago i saw a bereavement councillor because i had 4 family members pass away in the same year went to 2 sessions and stopped then like 4 years ago i saw my gp because i was feeling down and sad mainly because i was unemployed and had no money and was worrying about bills she gave me a paper if i wanted to speak to a counsellor i didn't phone them i got a job and haven't been to a doctor since i was looking for similar worries to me on here but most seem to have taken medication or had self harm episodes i had none of that was never given medication or never self harmed

Im just worrying they will fail me on this does the army count seeing a bereavement councillor or going to a doctor because i feel worried and sad as a case of depression even though i never took any medication or self harmed never been to gp since which was nearly 4 years ago

Has anyone had a similar case to me and passed or failed the medical

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help. I'm in the middle of my recruitment process (finally) and came to the point where my Medical records were requested from the GP. All good and that BUT - I only came to UK (from Poland) in 2013. SO naturally I received a deferral for lack of medical information from time period prior to 2013.

My problem is that Poland being a backwater country it is, doesn't have a unified medical records system. I inquired everywhere I could but hit admin wall and was unable to get any readable records whatsoever. On top of that, any records that are older than 20yrs are destroyed following the law.

Does ANYONE know anyone born in Poland, currently serving in the forces who had a similar issue and can help me with how to approach the appeal? My CSM was quite helpful but I'm not so certain CAPITA will just accept the truth which is I'm unable to get any of those records! I'm honestly not hiding anything, and I have a record on my candidate portal of trying to get in touch with info centre and my CSM in regards to this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Latest Threads