All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I do, would this constitute a MD at training ?

A little bit of gingivitis would not.

Acute necrotising ulcerative gingivitis would.

Dyl424

Clanker
Hi all, my assessment is on Tuesday and I was just wondering if I’ll have any issues eyesight wise, my right eye is 6/6 and my left eye is 6/24, will this prevent me joining from the infantry?

Hi All,
I've been wanting to join the army for sometime but think it's unlikely I'd get in due to my medical problems but I thought I'd ask anyway.
So currently I'm planning on going to medical school next year and either during training or following graduation enlist (if I can get accepted) and then hopefully do dual training in EM/Anaesthetics or something similar. Failing that I would train in the NHS (currently work in the NHS) and then consider joining the army for a while once I reached consultant level in a very long time.

Anyway, the medical problems.
I have a couple of headache conditions which are controlled with a medication and one just went into spontaneous remission
I had gastritis and take medication to prevent this coming back - acid suppressing medication.
I have occupational dermatitis at present due to the crazy amount of hand washing, sanitising and extra cleaning as well as having to wear gloves for every patient and me being slightly sensitive to the soap at work. This has resulted in having to use steroid based creams on top of standard emollients.
I also had to have my tonsils out due to several bouts of tonsillitis including one that required a several night hospital stay for IV antibiotics and steroids and am due to have nose surgery for a deviated septum and hypertrophic (enlarged) turbinates inside the nose that mean I cannot breathe through my nose properly (the surgery will fix this)
I should probably also add that I have a long history of anxiety, depression and insomnia but I am only medicated for the insomnia (with two very basic medications) and that I am under a psychiatrist to prescribe the meds because one (melatonin) GPs can no longer prescribe (they could when I started it... it's a money thing)

I'm pretty sure even taking a single one of these individually would mark me as P8 but I wondered if anyone else had experience of any of these individually or anything similar and was successful in enlisting, even if it required appealing.

Thanks in advance

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hi All,
I've been wanting to join the army for sometime but think it's unlikely I'd get in due to my medical problems but I thought I'd ask anyway.
So currently I'm planning on going to medical school next year and either during training or following graduation enlist (if I can get accepted) and then hopefully do dual training in EM/Anaesthetics or something similar. Failing that I would train in the NHS (currently work in the NHS) and then consider joining the army for a while once I reached consultant level in a very long time.

I have a couple of headache conditions which are controlled with a medication and one just went into spontaneous remission
I had gastritis and take medication to prevent this coming back - acid suppressing medication.
I have occupational dermatitis at present due to the crazy amount of hand washing, sanitising and extra cleaning as well as having to wear gloves for every patient and me being slightly sensitive to the soap at work. This has resulted in having to use steroid based creams on top of standard emollients.
I also had to have my tonsils out due to several bouts of tonsillitis including one that required a several night hospital stay for IV antibiotics and steroids and am due to have nose surgery for a deviated septum and hypertrophic (enlarged) turbinates inside the nose that mean I cannot breathe through my nose properly (the surgery will fix this)
I should probably also add that I have a long history of anxiety, depression and insomnia but I am only medicated for the insomnia (with two very basic medications) and that I am under a psychiatrist to prescribe the meds because one (melatonin) GPs can no longer prescribe (they could when I started it... it's a money thing)

I'm pretty sure even taking a single one of these individually would mark me as P8 but I wondered if anyone else had experience of any of these individually or anything similar and was successful in enlisting, even if it required appealing.

Thanks in advance

The tonsills are the only item that won't cause you an issue.

I strongly suggest you do not get your hopes up on a career in the military.

DocSavage

Clanker
Hi All,

Thanks in advance
Medical school and foundation training is a long time - 5 yrs med school (4 yrs accelerated graduate course) then 2 yrs foundation training in the well known supportive environment of the NHS which is always good for the mental wellbeing of its employees (apply sarcasm filter). At the end of all that your health may be very differnent - you may have got over your anxiety etc however "a long history of anxiety and depression " will be an absolute bar to service either regular or reserve. You are also aiming at an area of medicine (EM and anaesthetics) which are high stress and may not be good for your mental health with a long background in anxiety and depression. There are however many doctors who do work with a background of depression (but many more made that way by the job) so good luck and I hope you are able to get through your training.

Occupational dermatitis will also be a problem in medicine - we do wash our hands and wear gloves quite a lot. I would see if this could be checked and see if it is specific agent (eg my hands suffered when on deployment and only betadine scrub was available instead of my preferred hibiscrub)

Unfortunately in terms of this website - you will need to find another career ambition outside the military

Good luck

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Medical school and foundation training is a long time - 5 yrs med school (4 yrs accelerated graduate course) then 2 yrs foundation training in the well known supportive environment of the NHS which is always good for the mental wellbeing of its employees (apply sarcasm filter). At the end of all that your health may be very differnent - you may have got over your anxiety etc however "a long history of anxiety and depression " will be an absolute bar to service either regular or reserve. You are also aiming at an area of medicine (EM and anaesthetics) which are high stress and may not be good for your mental health with a long background in anxiety and depression. There are however many doctors who do work with a background of depression (but many more made that way by the job) so good luck and I hope you are able to get through your training.

Occupational dermatitis will also be a problem in medicine - we do wash our hands and wear gloves quite a lot. I would see if this could be checked and see if it is specific agent (eg my hands suffered when on deployment and only betadine scrub was available instead of my preferred hibiscrub)

Unfortunately in terms of this website - you will need to find another career ambition outside the military

Good luck

I have had the hand washing conversation with many medical and nursing colleagues over the last year.

In my field we have always had a lot of hand washing and gloves.

The fact that frequent hand hygiene was new to them was a surprise to me.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I have had the hand washing conversation with many medical and nursing colleagues over the last year.

In my field we have always had a lot of hand washing and gloves.

The fact that frequent hand hygiene was new to them was a surprise to me.

"Wash my hands " was a great response, and never wrong*, when questioned "and then what do you do?" During the CMT 3 practical exams on anything involving aseptic practice. Giving the nervous victim chance to think about the actual next step.

*Unless the previous step was "wash hands"

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
"Wash my hands " was a great response, and never wrong*, when questioned "and then what do you do?" During the CMT 3 practical exams on anything involving aseptic practice. Giving the nervous victim chance to think about the actual next step.

*Unless the previous step was "wash hands"

With dental nurses it was "reassure the patient"

Thanks to @DocSavage @theoriginalphantom for the responses. I had a feeling this would be the case. I do currently work in A&E and critical care nursing (as a senior HCA not a nurse I'd add here) and this if anything has been helpful to my health strangely. I have also successfully worked statutory ambulance service jobs.
I may still try to apply down the line if the vast majority of my health has improved or cleared (e.g. I take very little medication) but given own research and both of your responses I do accept this is unlikely... I guess it's onto EM/Trauma in the NHS or going down the PHEM and HART routes :)

Edit: I have also been seen by occupational health nurses and an occ health physician who has referred me to dermatology for allergy testing against the potential causative agents so hopefully I will get an exact agent to be avoided

Thanks again :)

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thanks to @DocSavage @theoriginalphantom for the responses. I had a feeling this would be the case. I do currently work in A&E and critical care nursing (as a senior HCA not a nurse I'd add here) and this if anything has been helpful to my health strangely. I have also successfully worked statutory ambulance service jobs.
I may still try to apply down the line if the vast majority of my health has improved or cleared (e.g. I take very little medication) but given own research and both of your responses I do accept this is unlikely... I guess it's onto EM/Trauma in the NHS or going down the PHEM and HART routes :)

Edit: I have also been seen by occupational health nurses and an occ health physician who has referred me to dermatology for allergy testing against the potential causative agents so hopefully I will get an exact agent to be avoided

Thanks again :)

With regards to the latter be prepared for accelerator free nitrile gloves and various different soft soaps rather than the usual stuff
It's not insurmountable by any means but can take a bit of trial and error.

With regards to the latter be prepared for accelerator free nitrile gloves and various different soft soaps rather than the usual stuff
It's not insurmountable by any means but can take a bit of trial and error.
Thanks. I had gathered it would be this kind of process but unfortunately the NHS as suggested by @DocSavage is not very supportive so if you do push to get something sorted or have it result in a short period off of work it takes a long time for anything to happen. (9 months and counting and they've managed to give me dermol 500 and have me using the same soap that causes the dermatitis...). My GP has said I likely wouldn't have any problems if just not exposed to the causative soap but it isn't that simple so I've just got to wait.
At least the short period I was not allowed to be clinical i learned that non-clinical life is not for me xD.

Hi all,

I completed my medical about 5 weeks ago, however, I was given a deferral due to my ethnicity being more at risk of sickle cell disease. I haven't received a date for my blood test and I've called the army recruitment helpline a couple of times now, only to be told to wait indefinitely for an email.

For those of you who have gone for a blood test recently, how long did you roughly have to wait before you received a date? I understand that Covid makes things a bit more difficult, however, I would have expected to have received a date by now, even if it wasn't for the near future.

Hi all,

I completed my medical about 5 weeks ago, however, I was given a deferral due to my ethnicity being more at risk of sickle cell disease. I haven't received a date for my blood test and I've called the army recruitment helpline a couple of times now, only to be told to wait indefinitely for an email.

For those of you who have gone for a blood test recently, how long did you roughly have to wait before you received a date? I understand that Covid makes things a bit more difficult, however, I would have expected to have received a date by now, even if it wasn't for the near future.
Same problem I’m facing now I had my sickle test 17th of February and upon several follow ups all I’m told is to wait until I’m contacted.

Goose1991

Clanker
A little bit of gingivitis would not.

Acute necrotising ulcerative gingivitis would.
Hey, thanks for the information last time quick question I’ve seen a dentist, and my bpe is 3/2/3
3/4/3. Maybe caused from really bad night time grinding. Do you know the impact this will have on the dental check at basic training. Thanks

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hey, thanks for the information last time quick question I’ve seen a dentist, and my bpe is 3/2/3
3/4/3. Maybe caused from really bad night time grinding. Do you know the impact this will have on the dental check at basic training. Thanks

What age are you?

I would not be expecting some one of recruiting age to score a 4.

Nothing to do with grinding, it's about keeping them clean

Latest Threads