Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Hi,
I have recently just had gastric sleeve surgery, already lost over 100lbs. I am hoping to join the army in a couple of years. I was wondering if anyone has joined the army after having gastric sleeve. It looks like it is classed as a P8 saying that medical check ups are needed which is not true. My surgeon has said that all army duties can be done and he can sign off on that. I do not need to take any medication after having this surgery and I could eat around 3000-4000 calories if needed (I am a woman so less calories are needed to maintain weight) please let me know if anyone has been through this process or has any insight

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hi,
I have recently just had gastric sleeve surgery, already lost over 100lbs. I am hoping to join the army in a couple of years. I was wondering if anyone has joined the army after having gastric sleeve. It looks like it is classed as a P8 saying that medical check ups are needed which is not true. My surgeon has said that all army duties can be done and he can sign off on that. I do not need to take any medication after having this surgery and I could eat around 3000-4000 calories if needed (I am a woman so less calories are needed to maintain weight) please let me know if anyone has been through this process or has any insight

Unfortunately it's down to the MoD to 'sign off' on it, not your surgeon. As I read the rules you'll be P8 and therefore unsuitable for entry. Your options are not try, or apply and fail the online medical, then appeal.

Hi folks. I was recently made PMU for having Contact Dermatitis. A few days before my medical appointment with Capita, I came into contact with a underwater binding agent concrete/cement mix that I needed to use at my work. Shortly after using it without the required PPE, my fingers and hands started to mimic that of occupational dermatitis. During my medical examination the Capita doctor noticed my hands and put it down as a history of eczema/dermatitis. I explained the situation and was told it would be decided by “chain of command”.

I’ve since appealed with a letter explaining how I received this chemical damage from work and that I’ve never had any form of eczema/dermatitis in my life. This is also supported by my doctor in a letter saying I have no record or diagnosis of me having it. He also mentioned that this was a isolated episode. I also attached photos of my hands proving that they have healed up. (which it did days after the medical).

“ Irritant contact dermatitis. Candidates with a confirmed history of irritant contact dermatitis are normally graded UNFIT. However, where a candidate has experienced isolated episodes of irritant contact dermatitis as a result of an defined exposure, unlikely to be encountered during military Service, they should be referred to single-Service Occupational Physician responsible for the selection of recruits. “

Looking at the JSP 950 I assume since it’s an isolated episode and it being a defined exposure, that it will be decided by internal doctors ? Is this something that can be appealed from Permanetly Medically Unfit ? Cheers for any of the help guys.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hi folks. I was recently made PMU for having Contact Dermatitis. A few days before my medical appointment with Capita, I came into contact with a underwater binding agent concrete/cement mix that I needed to use at my work. Shortly after using it without the required PPE, my fingers and hands started to mimic that of occupational dermatitis. During my medical examination the Capita doctor noticed my hands and put it down as a history of eczema/dermatitis. I explained the situation and was told it would be decided by “chain of command”.

I’ve since appealed with a letter explaining how I received this chemical damage from work and that I’ve never had any form of eczema/dermatitis in my life. This is also supported by my doctor in a letter saying I have no record or diagnosis of me having it. He also mentioned that this was a isolated episode. I also attached photos of my hands proving that they have healed up. (which it did days after the medical).

“ Irritant contact dermatitis. Candidates with a confirmed history of irritant contact dermatitis are normally graded UNFIT. However, where a candidate has experienced isolated episodes of irritant contact dermatitis as a result of an defined exposure, unlikely to be encountered during military Service, they should be referred to single-Service Occupational Physician responsible for the selection of recruits. “

Looking at the JSP 950 I assume since it’s an isolated episode and it being a defined exposure, that it will be decided by internal doctors ? Is this something that can be appealed from Permanetly Medically Unfit ? Cheers for any of the help guys.

It should at least lead to a referral to occupational physician, this may just be a paper review.

As stated before, an appeal is for previously unpresented evidence, you seem to fill this criteria.

amnesia

Old-Salt
I went to mental hospital for psychosis, believe it or not, for 2.5 years. I got out in april. Im on aripiprazole still. Can I join?

As you are currently receiving medical treatment (ie a prescription, regardless of what its for), it is likely your application will be turned down on medical grounds.

Extremely informative. Should I repost this elsewhere on the forums perhaps?

Just wondering if anyone has ever been in same shoes or similar situation just to get rough idea of my chances.

Originally i got a medically unsuitable, due to 2 course of oral steroids for asthma. I appealed it gathered information from gp etc and won it.

I then went to assessment passed with grade A, however have been told i cant be loaded to phase one training until the doctor double checks if occupational health will be OK with the decision about the oral steroids.

I also was required to carry out the spirometer test for asthma at assessment which i passed.

I understand i will most likely get the no one knows as its a medical issue etc just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and the outcome

Hi, I know this was posted a long time ago but worth a shot! Would you be able to tell me what medical evidence you got from your GP to win as I have recently appealed due to 2 oral steroids aswell?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Does anyone know if you can join the army with a capped tooth?

Thank you

Yes, you can.

The limiting factor is ongoing dental decay.

A cap (also called a crown) is usually only placed on a disease free tooth.

Harry999

Swinger
Yes, you can.

The limiting factor is ongoing dental decay.

A cap (also called a crown) is usually only placed on a disease free tooth.
Nice one thank you.

Also I have a tooth at the front that ended up getting knocked out and chipped in half. I have had it glued back on by my dentist but was wondering if it fell out during my P company whilst we do milling will that medical discharge me or stop me carrying on in training

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Nice one thank you.

Also I have a tooth at the front that ended up getting knocked out and chipped in half. I have had it glued back on by my dentist but was wondering if it fell out during my P company whilst we do milling will that medical discharge me or stop me carrying on in training

Don't worry, ugliness will not get you discharged from P Company! :)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Well I'm not sure about that

Genuinely though will it stop me as I might just get it capped before I go in instead of a real one falling out?

No it would not stop you.

Hi all, been accepted for the position of Engineering Officer in the RAF, joining mid 2022 after completing degree.
I have developed a "slight" bulge in my l5-s1 and after having drugs and over the phone physio to help with the sciatic symptoms I have been offered an epidural injection (or at least some medium term pain relief via injection to the area). I know surgery can preclude you from entry but how about this? Am I better off refusing and putting my all into physio or just going for it and hoping that all the symptoms have gone by the time I join up.

DocSavage

Clanker
It all depends on how long you have had back pain and what your records say.
Presume if you are talking about a disc bulge you have had a scan done. Don't try and second guess the recruiting medical team, do listen to what yr doctor / physio say. Concentrate on getting better and accept you may be deferred whilst this goes on. If this is a single episode of back pain and there are no sciatic symptoms it may not effedt your entry but no guarantees, sorry

It all depends on how long you have had back pain and what your records say.
Presume if you are talking about a disc bulge you have had a scan done. Don't try and second guess the recruiting medical team, do listen to what yr doctor / physio say. Concentrate on getting better and accept you may be deferred whilst this goes on. If this is a single episode of back pain and there are no sciatic symptoms it may not effedt your entry but no guarantees, sorry
About 3 months or so, it is getting better since I had my scan and started physio. They have both said I can return to exercise and weight training etc. Annoyingly it is a Capita medical, not RAF one.
I had been resting it during lockdown and that has probably made it worse, as soon as is tarted exercising again it has greatly improved.
Fingers crossed. Thanks for the help!

Joe93

Clanker
About 3 months or so, it is getting better since I had my scan and started physio. They have both said I can return to exercise and weight training etc. Annoyingly it is a Capita medical, not RAF one.
I had been resting it during lockdown and that has probably made it worse, as soon as is tarted exercising again it has greatly improved.
Fingers crossed. Thanks for the help!
JSP950 is extremely clear on back pain duration this is what tripped me up on rejoining, Im all good now but due to the length of time I was shit out of luck in getting back in.

JSP950 is extremely clear on back pain duration this is what tripped me up on rejoining, Im all good now but due to the length of time I was shit out of luck in getting back in.
That is a lot more detailed than the RAF list of medical conditions that preclude entry.

Worth noting I haven't really had back pain, just sciatic symptoms. And it isn't recurring (at least not yet ). As far as I've read in that document it is either fine as long as you are/will be fit when training starts to "normally unfit". Not ideal obviously, fingers crossed, engineering officer isn't a particularly physically demanding role.

Also was a member of RAFVR (UAS) so unsure as to whether I may be able to "only" meet the requirements of in service as opposed to pre entry.