Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

AB2020

Swinger
Dermatology seems to be strict at the moment.

I have been PMU'd from Army during application for an incidence of dermatitis in childhood. JSP 950 states that because I have 'a history of it', its a bar to entry. I appealed with medical support stating that I have been 15+ years asymptomatic, no current conditions and that it has no affect on any activities but it is still a bar to entry.

It states they assess each case individually but unfortunately there seems to be very little leeway in the application of the JSP guidelines.

Oh well........

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Dermatology seems to be strict at the moment.

I have been PMU'd from Army during application for an incidence of dermatitis in childhood. JSP 950 states that because I have 'a history of it', its a bar to entry. I appealed with medical support stating that I have been 15+ years asymptomatic, no current conditions and that it has no affect on any activities but it is still a bar to entry.

It states they assess each case individually but unfortunately there seems to be very little leeway in the application of the JSP guidelines.

Oh well........

As stated repeatedly on this thread, the criteria laid down in JSP950 are there for the protection of the potential recruit, the service itself and for fellow service personnel on future deployment.

There is no leeway on the criteria, you either fit them or you don't.

Appeal is merely to present as yet unseen evidence that you fit the criteria not that you feel you fit the criteria because a condition has been symptomless/you feel you can currently exercise ok/you think you would make a good soldier etc.

Unfortunately in your case, you do have a history of dermatitis that means you do meet the criteria for enlistment.

Drs634

Swinger
Morning all

My application is currently on hold due to further medical evidence required in relation to a bee sting allergy over 10 years ago. I have had a telephone appointment with an allergy clinic who have stated it sounds like I was never truly allergic. They have suggested, however, that the Army may require more than this, such as a skin prick test and/or blood test.

The JSPs refer to desensitisation in relation to insect sting allergies and state that one who has been stung subsequently would be no greater risk than one without a history of allergy. They don’t, however, refer to what evidence is required to demonstrate that I am not allergic.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue/know exactly what (if anything) would be required beyond a letter from the allergy clinic? Unfortunately my CSM does not know what would suffice.

Thanks in advance.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Morning all

My application is currently on hold due to further medical evidence required in relation to a bee sting allergy over 10 years ago. I have had a telephone appointment with an allergy clinic who have stated it sounds like I was never truly allergic. They have suggested, however, that the Army may require more than this, such as a skin prick test and/or blood test.

The JSPs refer to desensitisation in relation to insect sting allergies and state that one who has been stung subsequently would be no greater risk than one without a history of allergy. They don’t, however, refer to what evidence is required to demonstrate that I am not allergic.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue/know exactly what (if anything) would be required beyond a letter from the allergy clinic? Unfortunately my CSM does not know what would suffice.

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest that you have already been given an answer by the allergy clinic.

A skin prick test would demonstrate whether you are actually allergic or not.

Once that is confirmed you will know how to proceed.

Drs634

Swinger
I would suggest that you have already been given an answer by the allergy clinic.

A skin prick test would demonstrate whether you are actually allergic or not.

Once that is confirmed you will know how to proceed.
I was hoping this wouldn’t be the case as they’ve said that it could take up to two months to get the test done.

Unfortunately though I’m sure you’re right.

AB2020

Swinger
As stated repeatedly on this thread, the criteria laid down in JSP950 are there for the protection of the potential recruit, the service itself and for fellow service personnel on future deployment.

There is no leeway on the criteria, you either fit them or you don't.

Appeal is merely to present as yet unseen evidence that you fit the criteria not that you feel you fit the criteria because a condition has been symptomless/you feel you can currently exercise ok/you think you would make a good soldier etc.

Unfortunately in your case, you do have a history of dermatitis that means you do meet the criteria for enlistment.

Hi FF,

I am aware, my post was to merely inform others of that fact. No matter how much you disagree with the decision, JSP rules are rules and you cannot argue you don’t agree with them.

I provided medical evidence showing no effect on daily activities and GP support that ‘condition’ shouldn’t affect military duties (especially reserve service) and they emphasised with my situation but in the end stuck to their guns.

Anyone with a condition that is a bar to entry, don’t bother appealing unless you were misdiagnosed.

Prospect1

Swinger
You obviously had something which required treatment.

Perhaps if you elaborated on your condition we might be able to help.
I had a childhood form of epilepsy the criteria as a blanket states anybody with a seizure after age 6 is p8 the pulheems section on epilepsy then goes on to list specific types of epilepsy and the criteria for those mine is listed under the petit mal section
Which states the o set must be before age 10 and the candidate must be seizure free for five years without treatment. If so can be graded p2

so my understanding is as my onset was before 10 and I’ve been treatment free for 15 years I should be p2
If the blanket thing takes precedent then I don’t see the need for them to list certain types of epilepsy and criteria for them !

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I had a childhood form of epilepsy the criteria as a blanket states anybody with a seizure after age 6 is p8 the pulheems section on epilepsy then goes on to list specific types of epilepsy and the criteria for those mine is listed under the petit mal section
Which states the o set must be before age 10 and the candidate must be seizure free for five years without treatment. If so can be graded p2

so my understanding is as my onset was before 10 and I’ve been treatment free for 15 years I should be p2
If the blanket thing takes precedent then I don’t see the need for them to list certain types of epilepsy and criteria for them !

Someone was obviously just trying to be thorough and ensure that nothing was missed.

I would suggest that no matter how seizure and treatment free you have been, that if you had a seizure after age 6 then you will be P8.

Prospect1

Swinger
Someone was obviously just trying to be thorough and ensure that nothing was missed.

I would suggest that no matter how seizure and treatment free you have been, that if you had a seizure after age 6 then you will be P8.

If this is the case then they don’t need to list any specifics they should just have point 3 on it’s own I had petit mal and fit all the guidance associated with it so surely I am p2 ?

Attachments

• 799BDCD3-ED5B-4241-8FEA-B699398BC69F.png
    799BDCD3-ED5B-4241-8FEA-B699398BC69F.png
    560.3 KB · Views: 18

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If this is the case then they don’t need to list any specifics they should just have point 3 on it’s own I had petit mal and fit all the guidance associated with it so surely I am p2 ?

Apologies, from reading that, you appear correct.

If your diagnosis states Petit Mal and seizure free you may be P2

Prospect1

Swinger
I’m hoping for a successful appeal ! Fingers crossed ! The army sent me a notification 13 days ago saying they had received it so let’s hope !
Some good news to end a shocking year !

Hi all.

I've applied over two years ago and due to a Doctor giving non updated information on my medical file it resulted in a fail.
I appealed it twice with updated information and it finally passed and I went to Glencorse assessment centre.
I got in the medical office and sat for 10 minutes then the clinician conducting my medical assessment left the room then re entered 10 minutes later and told me I had failed before I arrived...I was devastated and didn't open my letter they gave me as I left, then opened it for them it to say "Symptomatic epigastric hernia and unstable right foot"

Now.
I served as a reservist previously with this hernia as it was an optional surgery I was advised and I proceeded to get the op again as I fancied time off work as I hated my job but then canceled the operation as it was taking too long to get seen too and had it updated by my GP as it was Optional surgery and doesn't affect me on day to day life and my obstacle coarse running and gym life.
I started to feel like a statistic as I was the only one who failed the medical and I put a complaint in which I had to chase up since March and it finally got back to me saying that Glencorse had already and planned to phone me months ago...well the bloody didnt so I feel even more of a statistic.
I've reapplied and its going well and currently waiting on my medical being filled in and I was advised by my doctor that its been updated and all well with no issues.
But because of my previous complaint and medical failure due to false information given by the GP who stated in my old medical "Didn't turn up for an epigastric hernia repair operation and has an unstable right foot"
This has Stained my other chance in a 2 year long application...and I don't have an unstable right foot my Doctor also confirmed this was sorted over 11 years ago..
So overall, they are wanting to close my application due to my old complaint which they didn't resolve which add to me feeling even more of a statistic for fail rates as I already served with this hernia, it was no issue before, medically examined by glencorse before with my hernia, it cause no issues and I'm fitter than ever and have no issues at all.

I know this is a lot of information but I'm needing help and advice on what to do, im currently sending my medical off from my GP as advised to do so.
I seen this happen to someone downsouth a couple years ago and it got amended from false information from a GP but was quickly amended. Why can't mine be sorted? Even when I served before with this with no issue?
I strongly believe they want me to fail for statistics as they wrote on my letter I said I had symptomatic problems when I dont... and they tried to phone me and spoke to me....when they didn't...

Any advice I'd sincerely appreciate as I want to take this to the bloody top to get this sorted as the complaints team aren't doing anything to help me but only to close my application.

Thank you all

DocSavage

Clanker
George
Not wanting to be harsh but you seem to have a lot of anger directed at others without taking on a couple of key facts.
1) Your NHS GP has no contractual requirement to fill in any forms or do letters for your army application.
2) where a GP sends in information it will be based entirely on what is in your medical records. We doctor types get taught this early on in medical school - if you write something in a report without justification you can get sued so consequently they tend to only send in what information they have
3) Your GP probably has a letter from the hospital stating you did not turn up for surgery. Now whether or not you actually managed to cancel it (and contacting hospital teams is getting ever harder) it is likely that either the hospital failed to act on your cancellation or someone did not get the memo and a letter got sent out (giving you the benefit of the doubt on that one)
4) You have a hernia which the army assessment team including doctors feel puts you outside entry standards
5) There is / was an issue with your foot which you say is sorted but it seems the army info is not the same

Now, getting angry / aggressive with your GP stating they sent false information is not going to endear you to your doctor's surgery and makes them less likely to help you or indeed future recruits to the forces. If you think the information is inaccurate then by all means challenge it but do so calmly form a position of knowledge. Start by getting a copy of your records and see what is in your files that may have led the army to hold the position it does. If you think that is incorrect then challenge it with evidence. Do you have a letter that states that you cancelled the operation? Is the record missing information about the treatment of your foot?
If this is the case then that evidence can be presented as an appeal.
If you dont have any evidence then you are at risk of being considered a shouty bloke who has freely admitted he wanted to pull a sickie and get time off from his job by having an operation he did not really want (or you argue need) - hardly a resounding example of the type of recruit the army is looking for?

As far as wanting to fail you for statistical purpose - why would they do that? Capita are paid to provide recruits. It is in their interests to get as many of you through to basic training as possible although the way the manage the process would make you wonder about that one

As I said my comments are a little harsh but I think you need a bit of a reality check. There is no right to join the forces and if your application is being deferred it would be better to concentrate your efforts into working the problem rather than blaming everyone else

George
Not wanting to be harsh but you seem to have a lot of anger directed at others without taking on a couple of key facts.
1) Your NHS GP has no contractual requirement to fill in any forms or do letters for your army application.
2) where a GP sends in information it will be based entirely on what is in your medical records. We doctor types get taught this early on in medical school - if you write something in a report without justification you can get sued so consequently they tend to only send in what information they have
3) Your GP probably has a letter from the hospital stating you did not turn up for surgery. Now whether or not you actually managed to cancel it (and contacting hospital teams is getting ever harder) it is likely that either the hospital failed to act on your cancellation or someone did not get the memo and a letter got sent out (giving you the benefit of the doubt on that one)
4) You have a hernia which the army assessment team including doctors feel puts you outside entry standards
5) There is / was an issue with your foot which you say is sorted but it seems the army info is not the same

Now, getting angry / aggressive with your GP stating they sent false information is not going to endear you to your doctor's surgery and makes them less likely to help you or indeed future recruits to the forces. If you think the information is inaccurate then by all means challenge it but do so calmly form a position of knowledge. Start by getting a copy of your records and see what is in your files that may have led the army to hold the position it does. If you think that is incorrect then challenge it with evidence. Do you have a letter that states that you cancelled the operation? Is the record missing information about the treatment of your foot?
If this is the case then that evidence can be presented as an appeal.
If you dont have any evidence then you are at risk of being considered a shouty bloke who has freely admitted he wanted to pull a sickie and get time off from his job by having an operation he did not really want (or you argue need) - hardly a resounding example of the type of recruit the army is looking for?

As far as wanting to fail you for statistical purpose - why would they do that? Capita are paid to provide recruits. It is in their interests to get as many of you through to basic training as possible although the way the manage the process would make you wonder about that one

As I said my comments are a little harsh but I think you need a bit of a reality check. There is no right to join the forces and if your application is being deferred it would be better to concentrate your efforts into working the problem rather than blaming everyone else
Hi mate thank you for you're response.
I truly respect what you're saying and understand it.
The medical record was updated with the correct information and was used in 2 appeals. My GP had apologised in behalf of it.
But as I was proceeding, the medical staff at glencorse told me I failed before I had arrived but my appeal outcome stated it would be decided once I had been examined there... it made no sense... during the complaint waiting time from 9 months ago they had told the complaint team that they had already spoken to me (which they havent) and the complaint was resolved. Its now open again as I firmly believe I'm a statistic for their fail rates. I have a recorded phone call app on my phone where the person telling me the outcome with the complaint said to close my reserve application due to this. I fought for it and mentioned legit facts on why they can't and should close it and he said "if I let this go forward it will come back on me if it turns out you'll fail again" but the actual fact is i won't fail it as i had passed before in this condition it was just because false information was sent and lead the medical team to believe I have a serious problem and also made me think he's also pushing this because he will get into bother for being wrong.

Does anyone know the eyesight requirements for the infantry ? I have astigmatism but is there a certain number it’s not allowed to exceed on the Cyl category on ur prescription

Prospect1

Swinger
I had a response back to my appeal ! Upheld ! Soo happy but in with the response I had a message asking for further medical information on a leg break from over 4 years ago ! One thing after another !

Just completed medical triage with shoulder dislocations, everything went fine, moving on the next stage. Maybe due a deferral at selection I’m not sure. I would say to anyone applying don’t be discouraged and give it your best shot regardless..

Meta15

Crow
Hi all, I was wondering if anybody could please help me.

I have just received the following message re my application and am of course devastated:

Our Medical Review Team have conducted an in-depth review of your appeal dated 17/11/2020, and we’re sorry to inform you that unfortunately you will not be able to continue with your Army application.
We carefully examined all the available medical information about you and found that you don’t meet the Army’s current medical standards. The reason for this decision was:
1. Your clearly documented long history of back pain with lumbar Scheuermann’s kyphosis.
Under the Army’s medical entry rules (JSP 950 Part 1 Lft 6-7-7, 4K.40, 4K.42, 4K.50c) you are considered to be permanently, medically unfit to serve in the Army.
WHAT IS THE MEDICAL REVIEW TEAM.
The review team is made up of the following experts; Medically qualified Case Managers, Doctors from Capita, the Army and a Medical Consultant in Occupational Medicine. They all agree with the outcome of your appeal. As the team are all in agreement, you will not be able to submit any further appeals.
We understand that this will be disappointing for you, and we wish you all the very best for the future.
Yours Sincerely,

This is after me submitting letters from specialists from 10 years ago stating my back is now fine and I am symptom free.

My questions are, I understand the message states I am not able to submit any further appeals, if this still the case if I have new evidence to submit? I was thinking about paying to get a private back specialist to see if there is a possibility of proving misdiagnosis of scheurmanns, because my back has felt totally fine for 10 years. Is there something worth doing or am I just totally wasting my time?

Also after looking at the army mecial policy leaflet and list of diseases on the gov wesbite, I saw the following information:

42. Scheuermann’s disease. This must be a radiological diagnosis. Candidates who have
achieved 3 months activity comparable with military training (especially load-carrying ability)
without symptoms are to be referred to SSMES. Candidates who are currently symptomatic are
UNFIT.

I am confused as I haven't had symptoms for many years, so why does this mean I am permanently unfit? Is there a way of me taking a 3 month military style training course which would display load-carrying ability and then submitting an appeal to show I am symptom free to satisy the above point?

I am totally devastated and would appreciate any advice, even just to be told it's not worth appealing/wasting my time would put my mind at ease, but I don't want to give up if there is still hope!!

Thanks you all in advance :)

Jero

Swinger
Hello All,

So my current predicament is my Hearing level.

I have just had an extended test from Boots and these are my results translated to the Army's interpretation.

Right Ear:
  • High (3k, 4k, 5k): H2 (75 Db)
  • Low (0.5k, 1k, 2k): H3 (105 Db)
Left Ear:
  • High (3k, 4k, 5k): H1 (5 Db)
  • Low (0.5k, 1k, 2k): H1 (30 Db)

I know they don't split it out like I have and it will be considered that my left ear is overall H1 and my right ear is overall H3 and thus my understanding is that my overall hearing will be classed as H3. Am I correct in assuming this and is there anything I can do to still enlist. (Looking to become a CMT).

Latest Threads