Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

TheFox

Clanker
Hi all,

Quick question, how close is the NHS app medical records to the ones the GP provides? Mine says 0 medication provided and only like a few GP visits. So this looks good for me just wanted to know!

Thanks

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hi all,

Quick question, how close is the NHS app medical records to the ones the GP provides? Mine says 0 medication provided and only like a few GP visits. So this looks good for me just wanted to know!

Thanks

No heed is paid to any such apps.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Hi all,

Thanks
What is visible in apps is very limited. Past medication is in your records, current medication on app.

TheFox

Clanker
What is visible in apps is very limited. Past medication is in your records, current medication on app.
Well I have not taken any medication in what must be 5-10 years + Can't be anything in the past to bar entry but we will see. You can go the GP to access their portal that gives you all the info you need so hopefully that tells me everything. Will try that! Bad reviews on my GP though, this could be a right mess...

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Well I have not taken any medication in what must be 5-10 years + Can't be anything in the past to bar entry but we will see. You can go the GP to access their portal that gives you all the info you need so hopefully that tells me everything. Will try that! Bad reviews on my GP though, this could be a right mess...
Shouldn’t be a problem it sounds. Perhaps you’re worrying about nothing.

TheFox

Clanker
Shouldn’t be a problem it sounds. Perhaps you’re worrying about nothing.
That tends to be the case, just hear about TMU's lasting months on end and dread to think something silly shows up for me. Fit enough to go AC straight away and I hate waiting! Realistically it's just more time to get fit so gotta be positive! Thanks for your help.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
That tends to be the case, just hear about TMU's lasting months on end and dread to think something silly shows up for me. Fit enough to go AC straight away and I hate waiting! Realistically it's just more time to get fit so gotta be positive! Thanks for your help.
Good luck.

Prospect1

Swinger
i find the process very boggling ! If you are unfit due to a condition you have I accept that but capita seem to interpret the rules to suit !
I have been deferred even though I fit the criteria ! So I’m having to present evidence I don’t medically have due to their lack of understanding when it comes to comprehension. The only evidence I can present is a supporting letter from my gp ! Explaining I have been treatment free for 15 years ..... I’m only 26 !
fingers crossed for me ! If anybody has any constructive input I’d appreciate it :)

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
i find the process very boggling ! If you are unfit due to a condition you have I accept that but capita seem to interpret the rules to suit !
I have been deferred even though I fit the criteria ! So I’m having to present evidence I don’t medically have due to their lack of understanding when it comes to comprehension. The only evidence I can present is a supporting letter from my gp ! Explaining I have been treatment free for 15 years ..... I’m only 26 !
fingers crossed for me ! If anybody has any constructive input I’d appreciate it :)

when you present your appeal, have someone else write it.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

You obviously had something which required treatment.

Perhaps if you elaborated on your condition we might be able to help.

Rabbo

Crow
Hello everyone.
Question re: army policy on history of drug dependance.
I'm 29 but in my early to mid 20s I had a bit of heroin problem.
I attended rehab at the beginning of 2018, and have not taken it since, passing every drugs test put to me at the addiction clinic.
I will have been off it for 3 years very soon and will be able to prove it, etc.
The only thing is, I was prescribed a low dose of methadone until earlier this year.
Will the army doctors not consider me until I have been off methadone 3 years as well?
Or will they look at it differently, being a prescribed medication and such a low amount? (I kept it at the starting dose and weaned down gradually instead of asking for a dose increase up to 100+ml like most people seem to).
All that aside, I am in good physical condition, and I have been doing PT at the gym 4-5 times a week for the past year.
I have simulated fitness tests at the gym and can do them no problem.

Hi everyone, sorry to ask another medical appeal question lol. I have scoliosis which wasnt an issue on the telephone medical interview however when a capita doctor reviewed my medical records he has rejected my application because of “back pain”. I have never had back pain so I am obviously going to make an appeal. My GP is currently writing a medical report for me and I am sending in other evidence to support my appeal. Can anyone with scoliosis or back pain that made an successful appeal please give me their advice and also if someone could please clarify what the below means. Thanks everyone

Your clearly documented history of kyphosis with back pain in 2016.

For your information, the relevant extract from the Army rules about this condition is below:

JSP 950 Part 1 Lft 6-7-7
MUSCULOSKELETAL PRE-ENTRY ANNEX K
4.K.40.
Candidates with scoliosis or other curvature requiring treatment, that is associated with an on-going disease process/ neuromuscular or neurological dysfunction or back pain are UNFIT

Last edited:

DocSavage

Clanker
Kyphosis is a description of an increase in the normal curvature of the spine, usually in the thoracic spine (between your shoulders) causing a round shouldered appearance. This is not the same as scoliosis which is a rotational deformity (twisting the spine so it appears crooked from the front or back)

If they are rejecting you for kyphosis and back pain it means they have some form of evidence (probably your gp or medical records) which say you have or presented with back pain and it as noted that you have an increased curvature of the spine.

For an appeal it does not matter what you think or how far you can run or whether your PTI/ trainer / teacher says you are really fit. What matters is the medical evidence. If your records say you have the condition you have to prove it is an error or that Crapita have made an error (not unlikely to be fair) and that you did not have the condition. Start by getting a copy of your medical records (GDPR subject access request) and find out what is actually in them then you can work out how to appeal - if at all

Kyphosis is a description of an increase in the normal curvature of the spine, usually in the thoracic spine (between your shoulders) causing a round shouldered appearance. This is not the same as scoliosis which is a rotational deformity (twisting the spine so it appears crooked from the front or back)

If they are rejecting you for kyphosis and back pain it means they have some form of evidence (probably your gp or medical records) which say you have or presented with back pain and it as noted that you have an increased curvature of the spine.

For an appeal it does not matter what you think or how far you can run or whether your PTI/ trainer / teacher says you are really fit. What matters is the medical evidence. If your records say you have the condition you have to prove it is an error or that Crapita have made an error (not unlikely to be fair) and that you did not have the condition. Start by getting a copy of your medical records (GDPR subject access request) and find out what is actually in them then you can work out how to appeal - if at all
I found the below. I don’t have any back pain and can do any exercises without problem. I posted my appeal today so fingers crossed I win.

3.12.26. Structural abnormality of the spine.12 Candidates with minor
scoliosis, kyphosis or lordosis with no associated back pain with full
and free
movement of all spinal segments (cervical, thoracic and lumbar) may be
graded L2.

DocSavage

Clanker
I found the below. I don’t have any back pain and can do any exercises without problem. I posted my appeal today so fingers crossed I win.

3.12.26. Structural abnormality of the spine.12 Candidates with minor
scoliosis, kyphosis or lordosis with no associated back pain with full
and free
movement of all spinal segments (cervical, thoracic and lumbar) may be
graded L2.
Why do you come on this site and ask for advice and then ignore it?

Out of interest what did you put in your appeal other than "I don't have back pain"

You will have been rejected for something in your medical records or something seen at a medical examination so if you have not addressed that you have probably wasted your appeal

I'm currently at uni but not enjoying it too much and have always wanted to join the military, I don't quite understand the eyesight requirements with me not being able to see an optician either at the moment, I was just wondering if having glasses or having astigmatism would hinder me from joining the infantry? I did get an occupational health eye test recently and was told that I do have 20/20 vision when corrected, but don't know if the astigmatism will hold me back?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm currently at uni but not enjoying it too much and have always wanted to join the military, I don't quite understand the eyesight requirements with me not being able to see an optician either at the moment, I was just wondering if having glasses or having astigmatism would hinder me from joining the infantry? I did get an occupational health eye test recently and was told that I do have 20/20 vision when corrected, but don't know if the astigmatism will hold me back?

Surely you have an old prescription around, they always give you a copy.

Otherwise it would be impossible for anyone to say.

Surely you have an old prescription around, they always give you a copy.

Otherwise it would be impossible for anyone to say.
Ive never had a prescription actually given to me at least not that I can remember, its been over a year ( closer to 2 since I've had it done) Is really the only way to tell with a prescription?

Why do you come on this site and ask for advice and then ignore it?

Out of interest what did you put in your appeal other than "I don't have back pain"

You will have been rejected for something in your medical records or something seen at a medical examination so if you have not addressed that you have probably wasted your appeal
I wrote a letter, got a letter form my GP about the back pain and also sent photos of my back to show the curve is minor.