Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Nclan

Crow
UPDATE, he's a week away from decision, report being reviewed by Doc at Glencourse now. (Eek).
It may still be a "No".
However, if it is a yes, the job places for Harrogate March intake are running out and he won't get a lot of choice in what he does if he gets in there at all.
My next question would be about Adult Entry,
How much different are the rules re signing up and being contacted to the Army?
Because just thinking from a parent's point of view, Harrogate enabled the chance to leave if it doesn't work out, whereas if he goes for Adult Entry, he might hate it but be stuck there. These are just my musings as a worrying parent and I haven't put him off at all. He's still enthusiastic about joining Army either way Junior or Adult entry, albeit a bit disappointed it's been taking so long & might miss Harrogate)
Well, just wanted to update on my previous post as it looks like my Son's Army Career Journey has come to an end....
He was asked to do a medical diary, which he submitted back in July....
Covid has put paid to any "Quick" decisions and we've been waiting ever since.......
In the meantime recently my poor lad had a fall down the stairs and seizure. (Luckily I was working from home at the time)
He's had to hand his provisional in pending investigation as to whether it's a one off due to head injury or epilepsy (which would be a definite refusal)
He's now moved on with his life and decided he might reapply in a few years. He's got a college course and accepted what will be will be,
So guess what? .....a message comes through his portal to say he had been medically accepted! -Gutted.
Hey ho.twas meant to be maybe.
But I just think 2 years is an awfully long time for a recruitment process. (Delays weren't all due to covid) especially as he'll have to do it all again if he wants to reapply, as the medical letters will all now be out of date.
Sorry about the rant/vent. Had to let off steam after jumping through many hoops.
UPDATE, he's a week away from decision, report being reviewed by Doc at Glencourse now. (Eek).
It may still be a "No".
However, if it is a yes, the job places for Harrogate March intake are running out and he won't get a lot of choice in what he does if he gets in there at all.
My next question would be about Adult Entry,
How much different are the rules re signing up and being contacted to the Army?
Because just thinking from a parent's point of view, Harrogate enabled the chance to leave if it doesn't work out, whereas if he goes for Adult Entry, he might hate it but be stuck there. These are just my musings as a worrying parent and I haven't put him off at all. He's still enthusiastic about joining Army either way Junior or Adult entry, albeit a bit disappointed it's been taking so long & might miss Harrogate)

hey guys
i’m looking to join the army but when i was in secondary (around year eight i got bullied and ended up self harming one time. the school found out referred me to camhs and i went to a few sessions and then stopped. to my knowledge i never got diagnosed with anything and i haven’t been to the gp or any where else for mental health problems. i also have no self harm scars at all. i’m now 17 and i’m looking to join after my birthday next year. is this going to be an issue that comes up? and if so what can i do? because it was a stupid mistake years ago and i don’t want it to stop me from joining

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
hey guys
i’m looking to join the army but when i was in secondary (around year eight i got bullied and ended up self harming one time. the school found out referred me to camhs and i went to a few sessions and then stopped. to my knowledge i never got diagnosed with anything and i haven’t been to the gp or any where else for mental health problems. i also have no self harm scars at all. i’m now 17 and i’m looking to join after my birthday next year. is this going to be an issue that comes up? and if so what can i do? because it was a stupid mistake years ago and i don’t want it to stop me from joining

It will be on your medical records so best thing is to declare it.
CAMHS will have informed your GP.

If as you say, a single episode, some years ago, you still fit the criteria.

Once again, it will be more problematic for you if you try to conceal it.

Prospect1

Swinger
Might be worth going to a running store and getting your running gait assessed wearing the wrong footwear could make this issue worse ! Normally free as well

TRJ

Crow
Hi,
I am looking for some advice, I am looking at joining the army reserves but i know on my medical will be OCD which i was diagnosed with when i was 14 (25 now) on the back of having a shower everyday before and after school and using new towels. Just a teenager trying to be hygienic before going out to meet friends ect.

Since the day of the OCD assessment I havent had one bit of treatment or CBT and the reason of being passed as having OCD is no longer I just get a shower after work that's it I have no OCD towards hygiene as well as any other sides of OCD.

What are the chances of OCD being appealed successfully and what are the best steps to take interms of collecting evidence ect for the appeal?

Thank you

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hi,
I am looking for some advice, I am looking at joining the army reserves but i know on my medical will be OCD which i was diagnosed with when i was 14 (25 now) on the back of having a shower everyday before and after school and using new towels. Just a teenager trying to be hygienic before going out to meet friends ect.

Since the day of the OCD assessment I havent had one bit of treatment or CBT and the reason of being passed as having OCD is no longer I just get a shower after work that's it I have no OCD towards hygiene as well as any other sides of OCD.

What are the chances of OCD being appealed successfully and what are the best steps to take interms of collecting evidence ect for the appeal?

Thank you

You are mistaken in your understanding of the appeal system.

It is meant to be there to allow evidence which has not been yet presented.

If you do not meet the criteria for service, you can not appeal that.

All you can do is present evidence that you do meet the criteria such as evidence that you no longer suffer from a previous diagnosis.

TRJ

Crow
You are mistaken in your understanding of the appeal system.

It is meant to be there to allow evidence which has not been yet presented.

If you do not meet the criteria for service, you can not appeal that.

All you can do is present evidence that you do meet the criteria such as evidence that you no longer suffer from a previous diagnosis.
Okay thank you for the info.

Hello, been lurking a lot recently and made an account, thanks for help in advance.

I'm sure you've heard this a thousand times before. My RGMD was rejected due to "long history of depression and anxiety".

Problem is that most of this was back when I was an 18 year old student and thought you're supposed to see the GP everytime you felt down and antidepressants solve everything.

I'm 25 now and understand having off days doesn't make you depressed and in fact have not seen a GP for 4 years for any depressive symptoms and consider the previous disagnoses misdiagnoses. I thought they may have overlooked it because the depression was in the past and 4 years in a decent stretch of time but clearly not. Problem might be that I've been seeing the same therapist/counsellor (a doctor) for 5 years now, I think its an important practice to maintain even after you've sorted yourself out and not just drop when you're feeling better. I think because of this that they consider the "depression" to be current and lasting.

I will of course appeal, and understand it's not just a whine and I need to provide supplementary evidence. The RGMD was based entirely on my GP records so I will include a satement from my therapist which will support me and hopefully will explain things a bit better. I am also going to talk to my GP and see whether they are able to give any input on how severe or long-lasting the "depression and anxiety" symptoms were. Would any statements from the GP be applicable or is that a waste of time?

If anyone has sucessfully appealed on the grounds of "depression was in the past, I was not actually that depressed just a stupid kid, seeing a counsellor once a month does not mean I'm depressed" and can give me some advice on what worked for you and how you worded it, what the best angle to take is, I would be very grateful.

Cheers.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hello, been lurking a lot recently and made an account, thanks for help in advance.

I'm sure you've heard this a thousand times before. My RGMD was rejected due to "long history of depression and anxiety".

Problem is that most of this was back when I was an 18 year old student and thought you're supposed to see the GP everytime you felt down and antidepressants solve everything.

I'm 25 now and understand having off days doesn't make you depressed and in fact have not seen a GP for 4 years for any depressive symptoms and consider the previous disagnoses misdiagnoses. I thought they may have overlooked it because the depression was in the past and 4 years in a decent stretch of time but clearly not. Problem might be that I've been seeing the same therapist/counsellor (a doctor) for 5 years now, I think its an important practice to maintain even after you've sorted yourself out and not just drop when you're feeling better. I think because of this that they consider the "depression" to be current and lasting.

I will of course appeal, and understand it's not just a whine and I need to provide supplementary evidence. The RGMD was based entirely on my GP records so I will include a satement from my therapist which will support me and hopefully will explain things a bit better. I am also going to talk to my GP and see whether they are able to give any input on how severe or long-lasting the "depression and anxiety" symptoms were. Would any statements from the GP be applicable or is that a waste of time?

If anyone has sucessfully appealed on the grounds of "depression was in the past, I was not actually that depressed just a stupid kid, seeing a counsellor once a month does not mean I'm depressed" and can give me some advice on what worked for you and how you worded it, what the best angle to take is, I would be very grateful.

Cheers.

See post #3610

Hi guys not sure if this is the right thread to be posting on but just looking for a bit of help. Went on a 30 min run today (done 60 miles in 5 weeks) so it's not like it's my first run, my left leg felt tighter than my right leg straight away. After the run I now have a really bad pain in my shin.. if I put to much weight on my left leg or roll my ankle it's so sore, could this be shin splints??? Does anyone have any advice on how to sort this out as I could get my assessment centre soon so I dont want a injury before going there! Any help will be appriecated.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Best cure for shin splints is to stretch your calves well over 10 times a day, stretch them well before and after running, run a maximum of 3 times a week taking shorter quicker strides and invest in a decent pair of running trainers from a proper running shop, not Nike Air Max.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I read the last few pages of the thread before I posted, I have supplementary evidence that may effect the appeal, so I am asking how I should present that evidence from someone in a similar position who has done it before, shot in the dark but who knows.

Does your evidence show that you meet the medical standards set out?

You can not appeal against the criteria.

If you had long term treatment for depression then that is a fact.

Does your evidence show that you meet the medical standards set out?

You can not appeal against the criteria.

If you had long term treatment for depression then that is a fact.
Any treatment for "depressive symptoms" was 4 years ago. Current counselling has been ongoing since then. I suspect they have taken the seesions I've been having with my psychotherapist to be treatment for depression. My Psychotherapist will be providing evidence saying that the sessions we've been having for 4 years have not been for depressive symptoms. I'm not sure if that will be enough though.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I passed selection and I'm waiting for my start date. But I've caught Lyme disease in the early stages does this disqualify me

Yes,

but I believe only until it's cleared up

Hi all,

Quick question, how close is the NHS app medical records to the ones the GP provides? Mine says 0 medication provided and only like a few GP visits. So this looks good for me just wanted to know!

Thanks

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hi all,

Quick question, how close is the NHS app medical records to the ones the GP provides? Mine says 0 medication provided and only like a few GP visits. So this looks good for me just wanted to know!

Thanks

No heed is paid to any such apps.

Latest Threads