Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Jam12bix

Old-Salt
No Im not. Had a call from my recruitment office today after that message though asking me what date would I be ready for assessment at pirbright and to book me in for assessment brief. All moving quickly really.
That Is Good mate so did you get a date yet ?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’ve always had bad teeth, due to having a situation at the dentists when I was younger and haven’t been since then, 10years or so... haven’t had a problem with my teeth in a few years... will this effect me joining

Yes, if you have a mouthful of stumps you will be rejected.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew how long it takes once they’ve received your medical consent forms to when they review your records? I heard it can take up to 30 days but was just checking to see if anyone else knew of it being sooner?

CJ2020

Swinger
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew how long it takes once they’ve received your medical consent forms to when they review your records? I heard it can take up to 30 days but was just checking to see if anyone else knew of it being sooner?

Mine was 2 weeks

KHBA

Clanker
So it took 30 days for my GP to prep my medical records, then they was sent off to the medical team and received within 3 days of being sent.

They've had my medical records for 3 weeks now so hopefully I get a response on the review of them soon.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Good evening All!

I am currently in the process of trying to join a UOTC, with the goal of being a reservist after my studies are completed. Bit worried about the medical, as I got signed off work for a few weeks back in 2017. GPs fitnote said "stress/anxiety" on it. The cause was problems with family not my work but working 80 hour weeks was not helping so just needed a little break and to vent to a stranger. In hindsight I should have spoken to someone other than my GP, I have coped with far more stressful times since then absolutely fine so is a shame it is on my medical record now.

The forms I have been given only list "more than two episodes of anxiety" but I am still concerned I may be fucked for getting in now. If it was just this one episode three years ago and was not given any treatment/medication what are my odds of getting in?

Last edited:

Jessd

Crow
Here is what the JSP950 states :

Mitral Valve Leaflet Prolapse. If uncomplicated, functionally acceptable
and requiring no treatment, grade P2.

On that basis, I don’t imagine you have much to worry about. JSP 950 annex C paragraph 3 refers.

Hi thank you for replying! I did read the JSP, but I was told I had the regurgitation so I’m unsure if they are different things! However I asked my gp for a medical history print out and there is no mention of it on there. I have my army brief phone call next week and then the medical form to do so I guess I will find out soon enough. Thanks again

Jessd

Crow
I have mild tricuspid regurgitation so it's the same condition present but in a different valve, I got my rejection back a month ago quoting:

Our decision was made with all the information that was available to us and in accordance with the Army rules. The reason for this decision is detailed below:

• Your clearly documented history of Tricuspid Regurgitation as noted in 03/2016.

For your information, the relevant extract from the Army rules about this condition is below:

JSP 950 Part 1 Lft 6-7-7
CARDIOVASCULAR PRE-ENTRY ANNEX C
4.C.3c

'Bicuspid aortic valve and other valvular conditions. Normally graded P8'.

The rest of my ECG report stated normal for everything but mild TR was noted in the conclusion so be prepared for rejection. I just sent my appeal off this morning.
Hi, I read that on the JSP too but was unsure. Did you know about the regurge at all?

bestri10

Clanker
I did so last week, and they said they had a backlog, etc. I'm calling again tomorrow.
keep calling them, i've been waiting for a reply to my appeal since end of january, called up a month ago and they said they would look into getting the reply 'resent' to me, called up again today and they said they will look into getting a reply sent to me again so the first time they did not bother.

Ciolfs

Crow
Hi, I read that on the JSP too but was unsure. Did you know about the regurge at all?

I was told my ECG was normal and there were no concerns that needed follow up and only found out about it when i got my rejection never saw the report until recently when i requested my full medical history.

Jack101098

Swinger
Hi all, I can imagine you have had a lot of similar questions but I cannot seem to find any answers. I have applied as an Avionics Tech, I am just waiting for the Army to review my medical documents.

Over 2 years ago I had 4 operations to remove an ingrown hair, I was wondering if this would get me a rejection? I have had no problems since and it does not affect me at all.

Also around the same time I was feeling a little bit down so I was prescribed the smallest dose of Sertraline (Anti-depressant) but I only took them for a few month then came off them.

I later on spoke to the doctor who said that he doesn’t believe I actually needed any tablets or treatment, i was just feeling a bit down. The doctor said he has noted this all up as I told him I was applying for the Army.

Do you guys this I will get rejected on medical grounds?

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated.

hello all, i finished university and iv applied to go to sand Hurst to be a royal engineering officer and hopefully get that green beret. I injured my shoulder last year in a jiujitsu competition the doctor suggested i get cortisone shots in my shoulder to ease joint inflammation. because of corona virus it took forever to get my second lot of the injections and i didnt end up getting the injection until july 2nd this year. since having the cortisone injections my shoulder is back to pre injury standard with Zero pain or lack of motion. i have just got a reply for my medical questionnaire (RGMD) and my application has been deferred because i have had those injections. there reply is as followed

We’ve checked your medical history, and unfortunately, you’re not able to join the Army at the moment.

Your application has been deferred because:
4K.35

4K.35 Musculoskeletal pre-entry

Conditions Affecting the Upper Body and Limb

Shoulder. Candidates with any functional limitation of shoulder movement are UNFIT. The following guidance is provided for candidates who have suffered shoulder dislocation. Subluxation requiring acute medical intervention should be considered as for dislocation. Each shoulder should be reviewed separately. Clinical evaluation should include an assessment looking for full ROM, with resisted assessment of the shoulder in external rotation and abduction. If this causes pain or a feeling of instability (where symptoms improve when the clinician supports the candidate’s shoulder by placing a hand on the anterior aspect), then the candidate is UNFIT.

a. In all cases, at least 12 months must have elapsed since the dislocation/surgery.

b. Candidates with a single episode of dislocation, who have full shoulder function, are asymptomatic, and with negative apprehension test be FIT subject to referral for further assessment.

c. Candidates with two or more dislocations (in the same shoulder), who are symptomatic, have evidence of early arthritic change or have a positive apprehension test are UNFIT.

d. Candidates with multiple dislocations (in the same shoulder), who subsequently undergo a stabilisation procedure and full rehabilitation and who go on to be asymptomatic and fully functional with a negative apprehension test are normally FIT.

When you meet the medical standards, you can reapply in October 2020. Please send us the result of your follow up shoulder injections (outpatient review 8-10 weeks from clinic of 02/07/2020.

it says i can re apply as of October this year which is only next week!, my question is how do the army view cortisone injections? do they class them as a surgery? because it says 12months must have elapsed since a surgery. i never dislocated or subluxated my shoulder i just had mild shoulder inflammation from a being put in a rough submission. thank you in advance

Hi all I'm thinking of applying for the parachute regiment the royal navy has changed its policy regarding shoulder dislocations that if somebody has had multiple dislocations in one shoulder but had a successful procedure and regained full movement and strength they will pass rather than fail providing there has not been another dislocation. Has the Army done the same thing.

4K.35

4K.35 Musculoskeletal pre-entry

Conditions Affecting the Upper Body and Limb

Shoulder. Candidates with any functional limitation of shoulder movement are UNFIT. The following guidance is provided for candidates who have suffered shoulder dislocation. Subluxation requiring acute medical intervention should be considered as for dislocation. Each shoulder should be reviewed separately. Clinical evaluation should include an assessment looking for full ROM, with resisted assessment of the shoulder in external rotation and abduction. If this causes pain or a feeling of instability (where symptoms improve when the clinician supports the candidate’s shoulder by placing a hand on the anterior aspect), then the candidate is UNFIT.

a. In all cases, at least 12 months must have elapsed since the dislocation/surgery.

b. Candidates with a single episode of dislocation, who have full shoulder function, are asymptomatic, and with negative apprehension test be FIT subject to referral for further assessment.

c. Candidates with two or more dislocations (in the same shoulder), who are symptomatic, have evidence of early arthritic change or have a positive apprehension test are UNFIT.

d. Candidates with multiple dislocations (in the same shoulder), who subsequently undergo a stabilisation procedure and full rehabilitation and who go on to be asymptomatic and fully functional with a negative apprehension test are normally FIT.

Bob65

War Hero
I later on spoke to the doctor who said that he doesn’t believe I actually needed any tablets or treatment, i was just feeling a bit down. The doctor said he has noted this all up as I told him I was applying for the Army.

So your doctor is willing to admit in writing that he misdiagnosed you and prescribed you drugs for no reason? Something smells fishy.

Jack101098

Swinger
So your doctor is willing to admit in writing that he misdiagnosed you and prescribed you drugs for no reason? Something smells fishy.

It was a different doctor that prescribed me the tablets, the new doctor said that they do not believe I actually needed them. I was just having a down period.

Kalu19

Swinger
It was a different doctor that prescribed me the tablets, the new doctor said that they do not believe I actually needed them. I was just having a down period.
I'd be very surprised if your current doctor would go on record to discredit or doubt another doctors diagnosis, especially if they never had contact with you during your bout of anxiety.

There are a number of people who have been on this forum to say they were misdiagnosed with anxiety or depression or who 'only used their medication for a couple of weeks', but unfortunately there are no ways for you to prove this. On your records it will be very black and white - you were either diagnosed with anxiety or you weren't.

I wish you luck with your application.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt

Are you able to provide detailed and qualified medical evidence that sufficiently proves it was misdiagnosed or incorrectly treated? In my experience from working within an AFCO (I am certainly not a qualified medical authority!!) , you require more meat on the bones than a mere GP opinion. Often consultant level is required to prove misdiagnosis.

If the argument is that the prescription medication was not required then the counter argument which must be adequately disproven is "Why did the individual visit the GP, what was the issue and was it misdiagnosed or treated?" Being realistic, what if the stresses of military service brings about another period of “low mood”. This is why there are stringent regulations regarding how much time needs to elapse from completing treatment to applying (if applicable)

What has to be remembered with hindsight, is at the time, you sought treatment for a condition. The GP diagnoses the condition and the course if treatment based on what their patient tells them. The duration of the treatment and the type depends on the severity of the condition declared by you at the time.

If you now subsequently claim you are now 100%, then the question they have to ask themselves is whether the treatment you sought effectively treated you or whether the condition at the time was, in fact, how they perceived it. Proving that the prescription of an SSRI was mistreatment or misdiagnosed may be difficult. The doctor would of, presumably, been wholly satisfied that you presented with adequate symptoms in order to prescribe the Sertaline. This is why all GP’s are trained to gather and records the data to justify the diagnosis and to justify the treatment necessary should it later be disputed.

Best of luck with your application but manage your expectations.

Last edited:

Latest Threads