Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

UKPitt

Crow
Hi, I had minor back pain from incorrectly lifting objects back in late September 2018 at a warehouse, the pain was off and on till it went away completely in Feb-March 2019. My GP and physiotherapist said it was just weak muscles, so I started weight lifting, running, walking with weights, and a ton of anaerobic exercises. My back is completely fine now, I appealed in June-ish 2019, and again today. The army told me, after rejecting my previous appeal that I have to prove I did not have back pain for 12+ weeks, how is this possible? If my current appeal fails then I plan to get a physio test, for additional evidence. Im 21 male, and physically in shape.

Follow up question if i can ever get intouch with the army 03456008080 is always jammed i'm going to ask about appealing my rejection , Would this also stop me getting in the navy?

IceKing

Clanker
Follow up question if i can ever get intouch with the army 03456008080 is always jammed i'm going to ask about appealing my rejection , Would this also stop me getting in the navy?

Yes I think so all the 3 branches use the same medical standard so if the army does not accept you for your medical reason the navy is extremely likely to do so also - I think. There is a document on the internet that says the minimum medical standards for the uk military as a whole.

Best bet is probably to apply for the navy if you want and see what they say.

Yes I think so all the 3 branches use the same medical standard so if the army does not accept you for your medical reason the navy is extremely likely to do so also - I think. There is a document on the internet that says the minimum medical standards for the uk military as a whole.

Best bet is probably to apply for the navy if you want and see what they say.
Cheers i ******* hate my doctor going to **** her offf and try and get it wiped off

IceKing

Clanker
Cheers i ******* hate my doctor going to **** her offf and try and get it wiped off

there is a app you can get so you can view your entire medical records I think so maybe have a look at that to see if you can see exactly what it was and the details the doctor put on it?

Hi, I had minor back pain from incorrectly lifting objects back in late September 2018 at a warehouse, the pain was off and on till it went away completely in Feb-March 2019. My GP and physiotherapist said it was just weak muscles, so I started weight lifting, running, walking with weights, and a ton of anaerobic exercises. My back is completely fine now, I appealed in June-ish 2019, and again today. The army told me, after rejecting my previous appeal that I have to prove I did not have back pain for 12+ weeks, how is this possible? If my current appeal fails then I plan to get a physio test, for additional evidence. Im 21 male, and physically in shape.

You probably can't.
If the start of it was in September and the end of it was over 12 weeks away your back pain existed for more than 12 weeks.
An on and off condition will be considered one episode unless it was cured and was triggered again by another injury. Then you have two distinct episodes of back pain - which may, or may not help anyway. I forget the rules on episodes of back pain
Your need it recorded as such at the time and not some time later

UKPitt

Crow
You probably can't.
If the start of it was in September and the end of it was over 12 weeks away your back pain existed for more than 12 weeks.
An on and off condition will be considered one episode unless it was cured and was triggered again by another injury. Then you have two distinct episodes of back pain - which may, or may not help anyway. I forget the rules on episodes of back pain
Your need it recorded as such at the time and not some time later
By off and on, i mean the pain itself was not constant, but rather very randomly low in consistency. My gp and physiotherapist had both told me my lower back muscles were weak and needed exercise, but then my gp also wrote on my record "chronic back pain" which implies it's an issue with my spine. Which is false.
Could I possibly get my Gp to rectify this in the records, and then inform the military?

By the way, with my most recent appeal I had included a two page cover letter detailing my physical routine, personal statements and minor life updates that revolve around physical activity and well being. Do cover letters help appeals in anyway? I'm still waiting for them to review it, which should be the end of this week.

By off and on, i mean the pain itself was not constant, but rather very randomly low in consistency. My gp and physiotherapist had both told me my lower back muscles were weak and needed exercise, but then my gp also wrote on my record "chronic back pain" which implies it's an issue with my spine. Which is false.
Could I possibly get my Gp to rectify this in the records, and then inform the military?

By the way, with my most recent appeal I had included a two page cover letter detailing my physical routine, personal statements and minor life updates that revolve around physical activity and well being. Do cover letters help appeals in anyway? I'm still waiting for them to review it, which should be the end of this week.

I got what you meant by 'on and off' however it will be considered one episode. one long episode as from it's onset it went on for many weeks. It wasn't completely cured.

Appeals deal with medical facts, sometimes an exercise diary will help, sometimes it is required if someone has been deferred.

You are unlikely to get any GP to change a historic record for a variety of reasons I won't go into on here as I just can't be bothered.

UKPitt

Crow
I got what you meant by 'on and off' however it will be considered one episode. one long episode as from it's onset it went on for many weeks. It wasn't completely cured.

Appeals deal with medical facts, sometimes an exercise diary will help, sometimes it is required if someone has been deferred.

You are unlikely to get any GP to change a historic record for a variety of reasons I won't go into on here as I just can't be bothered.
Would a GP physical examination, fitness test and or xray be of any use or will the army just stick with staring at back pain from almost two years ago.

Jessd

Crow
Hi guys. I have tried to search this myself but haven’t come up with anything informative. I have innocent pvcs checked by cardio. All innocent and benign. But I had an echo which showed normal healthy heart but mild mitral valve regurgitation but ‘they are not concerned about it’ I applied for the army around a month ago and I have only just got these results back (echo was in April) .. does anybody have the MVR or is it something that will prevent me from joining?

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Hi guys. I have tried to search this myself but haven’t come up with anything informative. I have innocent pvcs checked by cardio. All innocent and benign. But I had an echo which showed normal healthy heart but mild mitral valve regurgitation but ‘they are not concerned about it’ I applied for the army around a month ago and I have only just got these results back (echo was in April) .. does anybody have the MVR or is it something that will prevent me from joining?

Here is what the JSP950 states :

Mitral Valve Leaflet Prolapse. If uncomplicated, functionally acceptable
and requiring no treatment, grade P2.

On that basis, I don’t imagine you have much to worry about. JSP 950 annex C paragraph 3 refers.

CJ2020

Swinger
Hi everyone, I just got a message into my portal saying my medical records have been reviewed and I can proceed to assessment centre, I’m guessing I don’t need to do anything at this point just wait for a date? How long does it take usually to get an assessment date? Thanks

Ciolfs

Crow

Here is what the JSP950 states :

Mitral Valve Leaflet Prolapse. If uncomplicated, functionally acceptable
and requiring no treatment, grade P2.

On that basis, I don’t imagine you have much to worry about. JSP 950 annex C paragraph 3 refers.

I have mild tricuspid regurgitation so it's the same condition present but in a different valve, I got my rejection back a month ago quoting:

Our decision was made with all the information that was available to us and in accordance with the Army rules. The reason for this decision is detailed below:

• Your clearly documented history of Tricuspid Regurgitation as noted in 03/2016.

For your information, the relevant extract from the Army rules about this condition is below:

JSP 950 Part 1 Lft 6-7-7
CARDIOVASCULAR PRE-ENTRY ANNEX C
4.C.3c

'Bicuspid aortic valve and other valvular conditions. Normally graded P8'.

The rest of my ECG report stated normal for everything but mild TR was noted in the conclusion so be prepared for rejection. I just sent my appeal off this morning.

Jam12bix

Old-Salt
Hi everyone, I just got a message into my portal saying my medical records have been reviewed and I can proceed to assessment centre, I’m guessing I don’t need to do anything at this point just wait for a date? How long does it take usually to get an assessment date? Thanks
Are you commonwealth ?

Latest Threads