All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Joeyy13

Swinger
Hello all hope you are all doing well.
I have recently put in my application to join the army and have got to the stage of having the face to face interview at my local afco but i am concerned on my medical.
I suffered with eczema when i was younger and had creams and ailments prescribed to me for use on it, i had the online triage phone call and told them i had it when i was younger and have not had any prescribed creams for over 12 years. I also recently had an appointment with my GP to take a look at my arms and she put on my records that it was clear.
I am still concerned if they will defer me on the basis i had it as i have read the JSP and it says nothing on the fact if you've had it and have no symptoms only if you currently are suffering with it?
I really doubt anything will come of it mate, if its been 12 years symptoms and treatment free. If they do defer it because of this, then look into an apeal, but until then, don't worry.

Hello all hope you are all doing well.
I have recently put in my application to join the army and have got to the stage of having the face to face interview at my local afco but i am concerned on my medical.
I suffered with eczema when i was younger and had creams and ailments prescribed to me for use on it, i had the online triage phone call and told them i had it when i was younger and have not had any prescribed creams for over 12 years. I also recently had an appointment with my GP to take a look at my arms and she put on my records that it was clear.
I am still concerned if they will defer me on the basis i had it as i have read the JSP and it says nothing on the fact if you've had it and have no symptoms only if you currently are suffering with it?
If they do defer they will send 2 questionairres through your portal specific to eczema - one to be filled in by yourself and the other to be filled in by your GP who must also send any letters or GP notes specific to the eczema. Having mild skin conditions like eczema is no longer an automatic ban when applying but more a request for further medical evidence. When/if they send the questionnaires through your portal, the quicker you get the 2 questionnaires filled in and medical evidence sent back to them, the quicker you would then get the deferral lifted. When/if you do have to send it, make sure all questions are answered fully and properly by both yourself and your GP and I’d recommend that you send this off yourself via signed for delivery - then you will know that it’s been received the other end and to make sure time isn’t wasted in repeating the above! Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really doubt anything will come of it mate, if its been 12 years symptoms and treatment free. If they do defer it because of this, then look into an apeal, but until then, don't worry.
If they do defer they will send 2 questionairres through your portal specific to eczema - one to be filled in by yourself and the other to be filled in by your GP who must also send any letters or GP notes specific to the eczema. Having mild skin conditions like eczema is no longer an automatic ban when applying but more a request for further medical evidence. When/if they send the questionnaires through your portal, the quicker you get the 2 questionnaires filled in and medical evidence sent back to them, the quicker you would then get the deferral lifted. When/if you do have to send it, make sure all questions are answered fully and properly by both yourself and your GP and I’d recommend that you send this off yourself via signed for delivery - then you will know that it’s been received the other end and to make sure time isn’t wasted in repeating the above! Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you both for your help! Its just i have been worrying about it a lot recently, probably too much in fact. I just want to be able to go to selection do the medical and show the doctor there my arms for proof that its barely there just a bit of dry skin on my arms and that's it. Honestly you two have relieved so much stress. Thanks again!

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Yeah I need one. No update as of today to when they’ll start back up. I’ve completed assessment apart from spiro and the run. When I get called back I’ll let you know
I think due to coronavirus that spirometer tests won’t be a priority due to blowing really hard into the machine being a risk of spreading virus. Rooms would need to be cleaned between tests and full PPE etc.

I think due to coronavirus that spirometer tests won’t be a priority due to blowing really hard into the machine being a risk of spreading virus. Rooms would need to be cleaned between tests and full PPE etc.

a lot of PPE has been purchased at highly inflated prices by Capita for recruiting, masks, gloves, visors, booties and many many cleaning products, not the full PPE you are alluding to though.

err.. allegedly

Joeyy13

Swinger
Thank you both for your help! Its just i have been worrying about it a lot recently, probably too much in fact. I just want to be able to go to selection do the medical and show the doctor there my arms for proof that its barely there just a bit of dry skin on my arms and that's it. Honestly you two have relieved so much stress. Thanks again!
Not a problem, if anything make sure you just keep moisturising them untill then, and if it doesn't get bought up, there's no need to talk about it at selection

What would happen at the medical if I had an excess amount of ear wax would I be deferred or would they syringe my ears
If it causes any issues with your hearing then you'll have to have it removed, they won't be doing it at the medical as it should be softened first.
Under no circumstances should you attempt to remove it with cotton buds, keys, a chop stick etc as there is a massive chance of making it worse or causing injury (which will get you deferred or barred from entry)
You would not believe some of the dumb **** I've seen people do to remove wax.

If it causes any issues with your hearing then you'll have to have it removed, they won't be doing it at the medical as it should be softened first.
Under no circumstances should you attempt to remove it with cotton buds, keys, a chop stick etc as there is a massive chance of making it worse or causing injury (which will get you deferred or barred from entry)
You would not believe some of the dumb **** I've seen people do to remove wax.
Thanks for the information

KHBA

Clanker
Can shin splints affect you in your medical if on your medical record?

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

MD1017

Crow
Clinical Triage Call?

Hi guys. I have my clinical triage call in a few days, and from what I can see on here its apparently just running through the medical form i’ve already filled in online. I just wanted to double check that this was the case, as the call is 30 minutes long?

If anyone could tell me a bit more about it in detail that would be really great as i’m not sure what to expect and I like to be prepared. Also, do I need to have any of my medical records ready just incase or do they already have access?

Thanks!

Crow22

Swinger
Clinical Triage Call?

Hi guys. I have my clinical triage call in a few days, and from what I can see on here its apparently just running through the medical form i’ve already filled in online. I just wanted to double check that this was the case, as the call is 30 minutes long?

If anyone could tell me a bit more about it in detail that would be really great as i’m not sure what to expect and I like to be prepared. Also, do I need to have any of my medical records ready just incase or do they already have access?

Thanks!
My Clinical triage call went over the same information, and also went into further detail on certain areas, it's nothing to stress about, just have information of any injuries/breaks/dislocations and illnesses you have. You don't need medical records to hand but a rough date of all of the above is required. Good luck.

Irish25

Swinger
They’re in full PPE for the medical anyway. Not sure I believe there would be a need to clean the room after every test. It’ll happen when it happens.

Crow22

Swinger
Yes! - I've been waiting over a month and still no movement
" It is expected that spirometry will restart in Mid-August provided all necessary safety measures can be met. Your recruiter will be able to guide you further in this regard. "

This is what I was sent. Mid August now, let's see what happens!

Hi guys, applied to join January 2019, unfortunately was taking medication for mild anxiousness (couple months at most). Applied and CAPITA medically defered me for 1 year. Now that the year is up, does anyone know if the posts have moved again with them or been in a similar situation? I have started the application process again so just want a heads up for someone who was in a similar situation :) ta

Hi guys, applied to join January 2019, unfortunately was taking medication for mild anxiousness (couple months at most). Applied and CAPITA medically defered me for 1 year. Now that the year is up, does anyone know if the posts have moved again with them or been in a similar situation? I have started the application process again so just want a heads up for someone who was in a similar situation :) ta
Recruiting Group (a partnership between the Army and Capita) deferred your application by 1 year following direction given in Army recruiting regulations, owned and amended by the Army.

For accuracy ^~

Bob65

War Hero
hi! so when i was younger i used to get migraines a lot so i went to the doctors and obviously that’s on my records now but i haven’t been to the doctors in over 5 years, will this effect my application or get me deferred during the medical? i don’t get them anymore and haven’t for multiple years. if it will get me deferred does anyone know how long for or what I’d have to do?
JSP 950 Annex G Sections 5-7 deals with migraines, and that says 2 years. My advice to you is the same as my general advice, which is to get your application in and see what they say. Don't let the potential for rejection put you off even making the attempt. If it's not to be it's not to be but you will never know otherwise.

EDIT I have re-read your question and it's not clear if you haven't been to the doctor in 5 years or haven't suffered a migraine in 5 years. If the latter then you are probably OK. But if you have had a migraine in the last 2 years then that is likely to be a rejection.

Also if that's your real name, change it. On here I mean.

Last edited:

Latest Threads