All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Bob65

War Hero
Been putting off applying again as I can’tbe arsed to deal with the disappointment again but I suppose there’s no harm in trying.
It was never deliberately designed like that but the recruitment process itself is a test of fortitude. You've got to take ownership of the process yourself, don't rely on your CSM/Capita, and keep pushing. Good luck.

Bvdr18

Swinger
I’m aware of the new sickle cell blood test the army have placed in answer to the recruits who died last year December im just wandering if anyone who was told to take the blood test had a estimate time they where contacted after the assessment centre Ir if they are still waiting cheers all the best

Can anyone tell me if a partial ACL tear would be a bar to recruitment? I've applied as an officer however I tore my ACL and strained my MCL skiing in March 2019. I didn't require surgery and recovered fully, no issues whatsoever since. I wore a brace for a few weeks and had some physio sessions then went back to the gym, running and playing rugby. My consultant refused to do surgery as they stated I'd recovered and it would do nothing to assist me as my knee is stable and have no problems.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I get them very rarely now, I’d say once a month maybe if even that. i haven’t had to go to the doctors for them in well over 5 years and i don’t take anything for them (other than paracetamol when i do get them)
Thanks for the reply
A medical condition that reoccurs once a month would not be classed as very rare but actually quite frequently.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hi all, I’ve just received a message declaring me permanently medically unfit (via RGMD) due to a ‘previous history of psoriasis affecting my hands’.

I have had roughly 2/3 occurrences of psoriasis in the last 8 years usually mild on my elbows with some bits on the backs of my hands.

I’ve looked through JSP 950 and understand that’s why they failed me, but my question is, is there any point in an appeal?

I’ve only ever used creams to treat, it has only affected a tiny area (much less than 5%) and I haven’t suffered with it for years. Even when I did have it, it never affected my day to day tasks and didn’t affect me using my hands. However, I’m aware that’s all irrelevant if the army have decided that any incidence of it on hands is a instant fail.

Can anyone help? I can’t get the diagnosis changed so is an appeal likely to be successful?

Thanks
Unfortunately even by your own admission you have a condition that renders you unfit for military service, as such an appeal will not change the criteria.
So bluntly, an appeal will not change anything

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That’s what I thought but I don’t currently ‘have the condition’. It’s like saying I once had flu so have a weak immune system. Also, looking through JSP 950 there is a separate section for the type I had which states;

“Candidates with a history of a single episode of guttate psoriasis which
has fully resolved (irrespective of treatment) may be graded FIT.”

“Candidates with more than one
episode of guttate psoriasis should be referred to the single-Service Occupational Physician
responsible for the selection of recruits.”

It doesn’t say I should be unfit or declared unsuccessful before ever attending AC?

I’m not sure if they’re thinking worse case with me and have removed my application due to backlog?

An appeal is an opportunity to present new evidence that has not yet been heard.

Do you have anything different that has not yet been presented?

I’m aware of the new sickle cell blood test the army have placed in answer to the recruits who died last year December im just wandering if anyone who was told to take the blood test had a estimate time they where contacted after the assessment centre Ir if they are still waiting cheers all the best
Been waiting for a blood test since January mate. Not sure how many are caught up in this but I’m not getting any answers on when or where I can move forward with this. It’s a very simple test so I am mystified at what the hold up is. Covid aside I still think we would be waiting even if the pandemic hadn’t locked us down.

Bvdr18

Swinger
Been waiting for a blood test since January mate. Not sure how many are caught up in this but I’m not getting any answers on when or where I can move forward with this. It’s a very simple test so I am mystified at what the hold up is. Covid aside I still think we would be waiting even if the pandemic hadn’t locked us down.
Your ******* joking me January?! Here i was thinking it would be a month maybe lol thanks brother for getting back to my post was left clueless what’s going on and didn’t know how many people going through this shit i went to the assessment about 2/3 weeks ago and their are still plenty being put on hold for this bs you would have thought they are able and qualified to take some blood on the day so I couldn’t agree more I hope they get back to you soon then if not guess that plans of joining the army Out the window!!

Bvdr18

Swinger
I’m in the same position as you are and scrolling through to see if anyone’s has any updates. I was deferred at medical assessment in January too. Can’t seem to find out if any tests were actually done for applicants prior to lockdown or if it has just been held for 5 months? Frustrating as my GP could do the test for me but that is not allowed.
It wouldn’t have been prior to lockdown as the candidates died late December so you would be the first set of people to are expecting to have the tests first I went to the ac couple weeks ago so it will be way long before I hear anything if you haven’t had your done yet it’s ducking bullshit and poor organisation on the army’s behalf it’s only a poxy blood test if they wasn’t being so difficult we all could go and get it done at the gps or hospital!!

It wouldn’t have been prior to lockdown as the candidates died late December so you would be the first set of people to are expecting to have the tests first I went to the ac couple weeks ago so it will be way long before I hear anything if you haven’t had your done yet it’s ducking bullshit and poor organisation on the army’s behalf it’s only a poxy blood test if they wasn’t being so difficult we all could go and get it done at the gps or hospital!!
Agreed - also I think this topic could do with a thread of its own. I get it’s medical but this isn’t just a case of people asking questions about an illness or injury this is a big thing and I’d really like to know how many people
are caught in this and how to push for answers!

Bvdr18

Swinger
Agreed - also I think this topic could do with a thread of its own. I get it’s medical but this isn’t just a case of people asking questions about an illness or injury this is a big thing and I’d really like to know how many people
are caught in this and how to push for answers!
I agree it saves people searching through the this post to find the answers there is one post which they where discussing the matter but it was locked and you couldn’t reply or Ask questions on ive seen one parent of a child posting on this saying she he was going through the same thing he’s the only person I’ve seen and heard of who got a test within a weeks time that was in February March time besides that I think it must be lucky pickings

Hello all. I have decided to rejoin as a reserve soldier and I'm a little confused with the medical process now capita has took over. I was last in reserved in 2011.

I have a triage call on Monday 20th July. (New to me) but looking through forums I can't grasp the process now.

So what is this triage all about? I done a medical questionnaire online (4 basic questions) and passed that. Now the triage and then.... I'm confused.... do capita ask my GP for records or is that only if something comes up on the triage call?

Any help and advice would be appreciated. The old process I was given a big medical questionnaire to complete, pass to my GP for him to countersign and forward to the Army. Looks messy now.

I agree it saves people searching through the this post to find the answers there is one post which they where discussing the matter but it was locked and you couldn’t reply or Ask questions on ive seen one parent of a child posting on this saying she he was going through the same thing he’s the only person I’ve seen and heard of who got a test within a weeks time that was in February March time besides that I think it must be lucky pickings

when you consider this site allows people to use it for free, threads on medicals are answered by volunteers (other users) one thread for all medical matters makes life a lot easier for those answering the questions as well as those looking for a single point of contact.
If you are terribly upset about this arrangement then please contact the site owners or make your own site.

I do have a contact in "the system" who may be able to come up with some info on this but not for a few days. wait out

Bvdr18

Swinger
when you consider this site allows people to use it for free, threads on medicals are answered by volunteers (other users) one thread for all medical matters makes life a lot easier for those answering the questions as well as those looking for a single point of contact.
If you are terribly upset about this arrangement then please contact the site owners or make your own site.

I do have a contact in "the system" who may be able to come up with some info on this but not for a few days. wait out
Who is terribly upset? I am happy there is a forum available where people can share their problems with the joining process I simply noted there was a post but you couldn’t reply to directly about the topic rather then overall medical stop trying to pick at the overall paragraph and look at the actual point I am making

Who is terribly upset? I am happy there is a forum available where people can share their problems with the joining process I simply noted there was a post but you couldn’t reply to directly about the topic rather then overall medical stop trying to pick at the overall paragraph and look at the actual point I am making your comment isnt needed

then you don't want the answer I was trying to find for you? that's ok.

Glad you are not upset though.

Bvdr18

Swinger
then you don't want the answer I was trying to find for you? that's ok.

Glad you are not upset though.
Thank you for being so caring about how I’m feeling Very passionate about joining and I mean yea If you can find out why the blood tests are taking long you will not make only my day but probably thousands of other people going through this aswell :)

Thank you for being so caring about how I’m feeling Very passionate about joining and I mean yea If you can find out why the blood tests are taking long you will not make only my day but probably thousands of other people going through this aswell :)

I understand it isn't thousands, however there maybe an answer next week when my contact can ask the right person

Bvdr18

Swinger
I understand it isn't thousands, however there maybe an answer next week when my contact can ask the right person
I Appreciate it either way Mate I just want to have a estimate date so at least I can know weather to go back on site in the meantime if it’s going to be a long process but thanks for looking into it seems you will know more then what the csm currently know

Latest Threads