All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

KHBA

Swinger
They take the BMI super serious man. There could be worse issues, I understand my metabolism was once fast also
Yeah I'm new to all of this so at least I now know, but like I said putting on a few lbs is a minor issue... I have my interview coming up then I should find out my assessment centre date so I'll just stuff my face with calories till then haha

DocSavage

Clanker
Does anyone have a copy of the below please :

MUSCULOSKELETAL PRE-ENTRY ANNEX K

JSP 950 Part 1 Lft 6-7-7 Paragraph 13

JSP 950 Lft 6-7-7 (V1.7 Apr 20)

Needs to get my head around them for an appeal.

Had a pain in my ankle (1 short instance) which I though I had knocked in the gym

Dr Diagnosed me with Gout which went away after a few days without treatment. However application has been rejected for 2 years to be Free of gout which seams ridiculous as never had any pain before or since.
Gout is a significant metabolic problem that can cause multiple joint problems for life.
How did your doctor diagnose it - did you have a blood test?
If you did not have a blood test to measure your uric acid or urate (same thing , diff name)then I would get a test done and you may be able to have the diagnosis reversed

CRennie

Swinger
When you’re at the AC I heard the doctor asks you to do press ups? Whenever I do press ups always the first one there’s a clicking noise in my left arm, but nothing after that. This won’t be an issue will it? Asking as I heard that they are sceptical over any body crack/clicking sounds?? Cheers

estwist

On ROPS
On ROPs
When you’re at the AC I heard the doctor asks you to do press ups? Whenever I do press ups always the first one there’s a clicking noise in my left arm, but nothing after that. This won’t be an issue will it? Asking as I heard that they are sceptical over any body crack/clicking sounds?? Cheers
They ask you to do press ups to see your posture and look for irregularities in your bone structure.

A noise means you probably need to stretch more before doing the press ups.

Yes was 5 press ups when I went about 3ish weeks ago. And yes the doctor does listen out for any clicking or cracking noises of joints when they move your knees and legs to test reflexes and movement, as well as when you do the press ups. It may be your technique when it comes to a press up as the angle and positioning of your elbow and arms (how far away they are from your body) can sometimes affect how much strain you are putting on your arms - something explained by my PT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRennie

Swinger
Yes was 5 press ups when I went about 3ish weeks ago. And yes the doctor does listen out for any clicking or cracking noises of joints when they move your knees and legs to test reflexes and movement, as well as when you do the press ups. It may be your technique when it comes to a press up as the angle and positioning of your elbow and arms (how far away they are from your body) can sometimes affect how much strain you are putting on your arms - something explained by my PT.

Cheers. It’s only ever the first one so maybe I just need to stretch a bit better before doing it

Hello all,

Was recently hiking when I mis-stepped and hurt my foot a bit (mid-foot area), went to physio but didn't get much out of him except saying it's not a ligament tear, so I presume it's either a slight injury to the ligament or something of the sorts.

The pain is in the middle-area of the foot, say drawing a straight line from the 3'rd toe downwards would lead you to the area where the pain is experienced.

I won't get any pain if I don't do anything, say if I haven't trained in a day or two, but once I start running, the next day I can feel it's slightly sensitive when walking on it, so worried about not making it worse.

My question is has anyone had anything similar before? I presume resting it would be the ideal solution for now, would you include or exclude stretching / mobility work for the ankle/foot for the time-being?

batts

Crow
Gout is a significant metabolic problem that can cause multiple joint problems for life.
How did your doctor diagnose it - did you have a blood test?
If you did not have a blood test to measure your uric acid or urate (same thing , diff name)then I would get a test done and you may be able to have the diagnosis reversed
hi, I had a blood test it’s was slightly raised and the pain went away with no medication after a few days. Apparently dehydration can bring it on. I have never had a problem with it before or since. My doctor is dumbfounded that it’s an issue at all

AB2020

Swinger

They listen for joint noises?
My right ankle cracks really loudly with most foot movements, it has done it for approximately 15 years. I’ve been to see the GP several times and they stated it was ‘calcium bubbles popping within the joint’. I even had an X-ray to be certain and no issues were visible.
It has never caused me any pain, and I regularly run and lift weight so zero issues with my ankle other than the noise.
I’d be nonplussed if they fail me on the noise as that would be it. Hopefully my records show that there was a concern and nothing was found

AB2020

Swinger
Hiya mate, appreciate the reply. That's a lot of help for me I'm also 6'1 and slim built I'd really appreciate it if you could send me your eating programme that would be a massive help honestly as I'm struggling with making a eating plan atm.. thanks in advance:)

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
Eat more protein and lift heavy if you don’t already. You obviously have low fat and low muscle mass, so add muscle mass and your bmi will go up pretty quick.

I’m 6”2 with low body fat (13%) but weigh 13 stone and have a bmi of 23.5 due to muscle mass

Just focus on ‘most bang for your buck’ lifts like squat, bench, deadlift, military press, pull ups etc. Go heavy low reps and eat protein and you’ll deffo put muscle mass on

KHBA

Swinger
Eat more protein and lift heavy if you don’t already. You obviously have low fat and low muscle mass, so add muscle mass and your bmi will go up pretty quick.

I’m 6”2 with low body fat (13%) but weigh 13 stone and have a bmi of 23.5 due to muscle mass

Just focus on ‘most bang for your buck’ lifts like squat, bench, deadlift, military press, pull ups etc. Go heavy low reps and eat protein and you’ll deffo put muscle mass on
Yeah youre spot on mate low fat and muscle haha. Appreciate the help buddy I will take that into account an add a heavy lifting session into my workout routine:)

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Hi all, probably a very stupid question that may have been asked before but here we go
So i suffered with migraines in my childhood, they’ve slowed right down now but I’m wondering if this’ll get me deferred or anything??
I also went to the doctors about 4 years ago about my wrist (i was in pain but it was most likely from my pot washing job and writing a fair bit for school). Would this also defer me?
Again apologies if these are stupid questions haha!

Hi all, probably a very stupid question that may have been asked before but here we go
So i suffered with migraines in my childhood, they’ve slowed right down now but I’m wondering if this’ll get me deferred or anything??
I also went to the doctors about 4 years ago about my wrist (i was in pain but it was most likely from my pot washing job and writing a fair bit for school). Would this also defer me?
Again apologies if these are stupid questions haha!
first one 'depends' - when was your last migraine? I assume from 'slowed right down' you mean you still get them (in which case it's going to be a show stopper)

how many have you had in the past few years, how bad are they and do you require any medication to prevent them?

second one probably not an issue.

first one 'depends' - when was your last migraine? I assume from 'slowed right down' you mean you still get them (in which case it's going to be a show stopper)

how many have you had in the past few years, how bad are they and do you require any medication to prevent them?

second one probably not an issue.
I get them very rarely now, I’d say once a month maybe if even that. i haven’t had to go to the doctors for them in well over 5 years and i don’t take anything for them (other than paracetamol when i do get them)
Thanks for the reply

They listen for joint noises?
My right ankle cracks really loudly with most foot movements, it has done it for approximately 15 years. I’ve been to see the GP several times and they stated it was ‘calcium bubbles popping within the joint’. I even had an X-ray to be certain and no issues were visible.
It has never caused me any pain, and I regularly run and lift weight so zero issues with my ankle other than the noise.
I’d be nonplussed if they fail me on the noise as that would be it. Hopefully my records show that there was a concern and nothing was found
Assuming the X-Ray is in your GP medical records then it may be fine - it depends if the noises point to any disease or condition. Worst comes to worst you may get a short time deferral on medical grounds meaning the Army ask you to send off evidence of the X-Ray, a questionnaire filled in by your GP and any medical GP notes relating to this specific aspect, for the Army medical team to then review (this would include appointment notes and the X-Ray). Things like an X-Ray etc should be listed in your medical history that the Army request anyway, which is what the Army doctor at the AC reads through before seeing you.

I get them very rarely now, I’d say once a month maybe if even that. i haven’t had to go to the doctors for them in well over 5 years and i don’t take anything for them (other than paracetamol when i do get them)
Thanks for the reply
I would expect you to get rejected for your migraines

AB2020

Swinger
Assuming the X-Ray is in your GP medical records then it may be fine - it depends if the noises point to any disease or condition. Worst comes to worst you may get a short time deferral on medical grounds meaning the Army ask you to send off evidence of the X-Ray, a questionnaire filled in by your GP and any medical GP notes relating to this specific aspect, for the Army medical team to then review (this would include appointment notes and the X-Ray). Things like an X-Ray etc should be listed in your medical history that the Army request anyway, which is what the Army doctor at the AC reads through before seeing you.

Thanks for the reply. Yes hopefully it will be in my records and they’ll see it for what it is, just a noise within the joint. It will be frustrating if I get any sort of deferral as I know it isn’t an issue medically, but I appreciate they have to be sure.

The AC are reviewing my records now so will update once I’ve got a date and have been....

Hi all,
Been a while since ive posted on here as i’ve pretty much given up hope as ive had a few applications over the last few years fall through due to reasons i will get to.
Long story short I applied to join up around 2018. Had my interview down my local careers centre no problem and signed off on my medical record form. I had a couple of months delay and got in contact with my afco to see what the hold up was.She said my medical records had been sent by my doctor however they were “incomplete” but was not able to go into detail due to data protection over the phone. After a lot of back and forth With my GP i found out there was a “missing” 5 year portion of my medical record despite me not moving house or changing GP from age 2 onwards ( I suspect this could be a time period where I had not had to go to the GP)
I’ve been lucky enough not to have been diagnosed with any chronic conditions, illnesses and have not had to go to the doctors alot and have had no broken bones or muscular tears..I also gathered that there was nothing on the medical record that my gp sent that would ban me from service.
Has anyone else had a similar experience involving “missing” Medical records? any advice/ Similar stories would be welcome although I know everyone’s case is different. Im hoping there is a bit more guidance on what to do in this circumstance as the applications I put in were during the height of capita’s failure to process applications in 2018/19
Thanks for any help in advance.

Last edited:

estwist

On ROPS
On ROPs
Hi all,
Been a while since ive posted on here as i’ve pretty much given up hope as ive had a few applications over the last few years fall through due to reasons i will get to.
Long story short I applied to join up around 2018. Had my interview down my local careers centre no problem and signed off on my medical record form. I had a couple of months delay and got in contact with my afco to see what the hold up was.She said my medical records had been sent by my doctor however they were “incomplete” but was not able to go into detail due to data protection over the phone. After a lot of back and forth With my GP i found out there was a “missing” 5 year portion of my medical record despite me not moving house or changing GP from age 2 onwards ( I suspect this could be a time period where I had not had to go to the GP)
I’ve been lucky enough not to have been diagnosed with any chronic conditions, illnesses and have not had to go to the doctors alot and have had no broken bones or muscular tears..I also gathered that there was nothing on the medical record that my gp sent that would ban me from service.
Has anyone else had a similar experience involving “missing” Medical records? any advice/ Similar stories would be welcome although I know everyone’s case is different. Im hoping there is a bit more guidance on what to do in this circumstance as the applications I put in were during the height of capita’s failure to process applications in 2018/19
Thanks for any help in advance.
Ben
Hi Ben, Im afraid I couldnt help more than I will now but it sounds a bit fishy. I had about a 9 year gap in my medical records from Ireland and it was no problem back in 2016. They are desperate for blokes now and ive just been through the recruitment process again and it was smooth(er) than before. Apply mate and go for it.

Hi Ben, Im afraid I couldnt help more than I will now but it sounds a bit fishy. I had about a 9 year gap in my medical records from Ireland and it was no problem back in 2016. They are desperate for blokes now and ive just been through the recruitment process again and it was smooth(er) than before. Apply mate and go for it.
Thanks for the quick reply mate. Tbh i don’t think my doctors office was very helpful and didn’t seem keen to get in contact with the medical board to sort it out.
Were your “missing” medical records retrieved in the end to progress your application. How did your application progress after they found the gap? I requested a full copy of my medical record from my doctors last year and received nothing which I’m sure is against the data protection act.
Been putting off applying again as I can’tbe arsed to deal with the disappointment again but I suppose there’s no harm in trying.

Latest Threads