All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Hi I had mild eczema in the creases of my arms when I was a child. Sorted it out with some emollient gel. Worried this is going to be a problem when they look at my medical records...any advice?
The medical team may well defer your application like they did with mine (for minor eczema) but if it were only minor eczema and this matches up with your GP medical records then they may - like they requested me to - ask your GP to fill in a questionnaire which was sent via my portal. This judges if it is still active, location(s) of the eczema or how serious etc. This may also depend on the role you are choosing? However, your triage medical phone call as part of the initial application process would hopefully be able to clear this up...think they judge this on a case by case basis. I only had my application deferred by 2ish weeks due to a previous application flagging this up.

There was an article on the Guardian website regarding Army recruitment earlier this year:
‘Other measures introduced to ease recruitment this year include an end to the blanket ban on sufferers of asthma and eczema. “Whereas previously if you had had asthma that’s it, you are out, gone, now we need further medical evidence...”’

Evening all

I just had a question about the regulations to do with medical requirements with hearing.

When I was 16 I applied for the Army scholarship. However, I was declared medically unfit to serve due to my hearing.

I was born with a mild hearing defect in my right ear which gives me a slight disability in hearing high frequencies. (I'm not sure on the exact amount or exact frequency).
The reason my application failed at the time was due to my hearing being monitored at the time.
After my 18th birthday (now 20) I was signed off by the consultant as my hearing hasn't deteriorated since my hearing problem was discovered.

I am now looking to try and rejoin. Does anyone know or know where I could find the specific hearing guidelines for the army as I cannot seem to find anything about hearing aptitude.

Bit concerned about the lung capacity testing I can’t blow up a balloon and feel dizzy blowing bubbles lol anyone else not been able to and still passed???

DocSavage

Clanker
Evening all

I just had a question about the regulations to do with medical requirements with hearing.

When I was 16 I applied for the Army scholarship. However, I was declared medically unfit to serve due to my hearing.

I was born with a mild hearing defect in my right ear which gives me a slight disability in hearing high frequencies. (I'm not sure on the exact amount or exact frequency).
The reason my application failed at the time was due to my hearing being monitored at the time.
After my 18th birthday (now 20) I was signed off by the consultant as my hearing hasn't deteriorated since my hearing problem was discovered.

I am now looking to try and rejoin. Does anyone know or know where I could find the specific hearing guidelines for the army as I cannot seem to find anything about hearing aptitude.
The Army has had a long history of issues with hearing loss and noise induced hearing loss is a well recognised problem in military personnel and veterans. As such I would be very surprised if someone with a documented history of high frequency loss would be allowed to join as these are the ranges normally affected by noise damage. You may be lucky if your loss is very mild and an application costs nothing other than your time and effort but I would be actively investigating alternate careers if I were you

Evening all

try the info in this thread

Just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of help or advice.....
I have had my army application rejected recently, the reason for this was:
‘Your clearly documented history of spinal surgery leading to a further event - symptoms of nerve root compression and sciatica’
I had a single discectomy in 2011 and had a slight problem with sciatica like symptoms in 2016. My surgeon didn’t feel the need for another operation in 2016 and said it should hopefully sort itself out, which after a month or so it did. After being misdiagnosed the first time I was advised to go back if I had any kind of symptoms at all in the future. It turned out to be not much at all and like I previously said it sorted itself out.
I personally don’t see this as ‘leading to a further event’ as no further surgery, physio or any treatment at all was needed but I’m not sure if the medical people see it like that. Would I have grounds for appeal here or would it not be worth while?

Bob65

Old-Salt
I personally don’t see this as ‘leading to a further event’ as no further surgery, physio or any treatment at all was needed but I’m not sure if the medical people see it like that. Would I have grounds for appeal here or would it not be worth while?
The symptoms were sufficient for you to seek medical help, and that has been noted on your records. If you go back a couple of pages there was some recent discussion of sciatica on this thread which may be useful.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
gary1086 said:
I had a single discectomy in 2011 and had a slight problem with sciatica like symptoms in 2016.
The message is clear. You have clearly documented history of spinal surgery leading to a further event.

Your unqualified opinion as to what constitutes a further incident is exactly that. If you wish to appeal then be prepared to provide supportive qualified evidence from the appropriate professionals.

@DocSavage might chip in.

The message is clear. You have clearly documented history of spinal surgery leading to a further event.

Your unqualified opinion as to what constitutes a further incident is exactly that. If you wish to appeal then be prepared to provide supportive qualified evidence from the appropriate professionals.

@DocSavage might chip in.
Yep I thought as much. Even though my opinion is that it isn’t a further incident, my opinion is irrelevant in this situation.
I tried booking a private appt with Dr Calthorpe yesterday, but was told he only does NHS now and Nuffield aren’t seeing people for face to face appts until 1st September (subject to change). So to get qualified opinion/evidence is proving a bit tricky unfortunately at the moment.
Thanks for the reply though

DocSavage

Clanker
I can only echo what has already been said. A further episode is one which appears in your medical records and for which you sought advice. As such your chances of successful appeal are not good as you will be trying to dispute what is in your records

I can only echo what has already been said. A further episode is one which appears in your medical records and for which you sought advice. As such your chances of successful appeal are not good as you will be trying to dispute what is in your records
Is there any circumstance an appeal would be successful in this case? Or is it basically it’s on my medical record and that’s that?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Is there any circumstance an appeal would be successful in this case? Or is it basically it’s on my medical record and that’s that?
An appeal has to include new evidence not previously presented.

It is not an appeal of the decision as such.

If your medical records include conditions that are a bar to entry then unfortunately you are barred.

An appeal has to include new evidence not previously presented.

It is not an appeal of the decision as such.

If your medical records include conditions that are a bar to entry then unfortunately you are barred.
Unfortunately there won’t be any new evidence. It’ll basically be a case of me trying to dispute their definition of ‘further event’, which isn’t a dispute I’m going to win so I think that’s basically answered my question. I think I was asking out of hope more than anything, hoping someone had a miracle suggestion :)
Thanks for your help though

Reply to Anon345:

Answers according to my own expereince, not according to any in depth knowledge of process:

1. Weight - As long as you come within the BMI required and can pass fitness tests there is no technical bar here - but if you are seen to be carrying excess fat it may count against you - you have to be agile AND strong AND conditioned etc. - being able to do a 170kg+ DL but not being able to jump a certain distance or move with purpose inside a tunnel is not good enough for RMAS, and this will all be tested at B and MB. Remember, you have to pass an 8.7 on Beep, which is a very easy bar but with every kilo your heart has to work harder and it is usually the heavier candidates who often dont make it - make it easy on yourself, intelligently drop weight before Briefing - 120kg is, in my opinion, too much, even if that was mostly muscle!

2. Injury is not an automatic bar - they will test you.

3. Anxiety is not an automatic bar - explain and they will understand.

Re points 2+3 = The GP's at your first medical are very understanding individuals.

Chances of acceptance are what you make them - try your best, there are only 2 outcomes - failure or success. Work hard, and it will pay off. The Army and your future colleagues want people who have known difficulty and overcome them.

S7015642F

Swinger
Is there any one on here who has worked in the medical review team on here? Basically since nov 2019 my appeal has been passed pillar to post and with corona selection centre posted it to national recruitment just recently for medical team to review. Can anyone share the light on how long (roughly) it’ll take for them to review it if it’s at the top of the pile?

Bob65

Old-Salt
Reply to Anon345:
If the back injury isn't an automatic rejection, which it most likely is, then he/she would need to be completely symptom free for at least a year, but a year later they are still on prescription medication. It doesn't look good but I would always say apply anyway, at least the online part which has a mini medical questionnaire in it, and have a chat to the AFCO. Just my personal opinion but if someone's willing to put their hand up and volunteer then they at least deserve to have the closure of a letter of rejection rather than forever wondering "what if".

IceKing

Swinger
3.10.2. Candidates with severe acne or involvement of the face, neck,
shoulders, chest or back such that it would interfere with wearing military
clothing or equipment should normally be graded P8, or entry should be
deferred until the disease has been successfully treated. Candidates under
treatment with Isotretinoin may be graded P2 eight weeks after completing
successful treatment by which time most adverse effects have settled."

What body areas is the main issues - if someone was spotty on their face but fine everywhere else would they be fine at the assement medical?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
3.10.2. Candidates with severe acne or involvement of the face, neck,
shoulders, chest or back such that it would interfere with wearing military
clothing or equipment should normally be graded P8, or entry should be
deferred until the disease has been successfully treated. Candidates under
treatment with Isotretinoin may be graded P2 eight weeks after completing
successful treatment by which time most adverse effects have settled."

What body areas is the main issues - if someone was spotty on their face but fine everywhere else would they be fine at the assement medical?
It does say "face" in your quote.

Aye i know but what areas of the face 'interfere with military equipment?
Areas that will impact on your ability to wear headdress/helmet, goggles/glasses, respirator, radio headset, hearing protection or prevent the use of a rifle.

Latest Threads