All medical chat and queries in here. Please don't start a new one for every single medical question.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
If you leave and re apply as a new entrant then you will undoubtedly be processed through all the various stages.

Definitely speak to your current CoC and get the gen. It will be worth it and will potentially save you time.

ch1985

Crow
If you leave and re apply as a new entrant then you will undoubtedly be processed through all the various stages.

Definitely speak to your current CoC and get the gen. It will be worth it and will potentially save you time.
Fair dit, I would definitely prefer the transfer over situ rather than going through that process again! Cheers

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
If approved at unit level your application will be forwarded to Colour Service Section (CSS), up in Glasgow. Pending approval CSS will then forward details of the application over to the Army desk.

If approved, your application will be forwarded to a nominated AFCO for processing. You will be contacted through your unit to submit an application via Army careers website and it’ll be picked up. You should be ‘Medically Fully Deployable’ at the time of application.

I’ve a feeling you’ll need a Full entry medical conducted by an AFCO approved Medical Examiner/your MO and your up to date medical documentation will be required for this appointment- this SHOULD negate the need for you to jump through all the hoops again.

Last edited:

ch1985

Crow
Forgive me if I'm sounding a bit dense here, but the upto date medical documentation would that be from civvy Dr or my medical docs from my previous military medicals. No problems as I'm FMD and in date for all fitness stuff, also passed a diving medical for the diving branch not to long ago which was a Royal pain in the ass to sort out, alot of chasing up, but still shows a clear chest xray and ecg etc.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
It should be your in service medical documentation. It will all be contained on your JPA.

It may (and probably does) differ with reserves. Nonetheless to transfer, your branch manager will be able to discuss it with you. If you leave and then apply to join, there will be a break in Service and this will affect your pension.

@amnesia will hopefully see this and pitch in.
Best of luck

Last edited:

ch1985

Crow
It should be your in service medical documentation. It will all be contained on your JPA.

It may (and probably does) differ with reserves. Nonetheless to transfer, your branch manager will be able to discuss it with you. If you leave and then apply to join, there will be a break in Service and this will affect your pension.

@amnesia will hopefully see this and pitch in.
Best of luck
Brilliant, it will be a while before I get a chance to move over with everything's going on so that will give me time to get answers from above. Cheers for your help

Hi, I’m wanting to join the army and have applied, I now have my medical on Thursday over the phone. I’m a little worried as a few months ago I was prescribed trazadone as I couldn’t sleep and it give me slight anxiety. Anyway, when talking to my doctor and discussing how I feel we decided I’m feeling ok and not actually needing it, I never actually ended up taking the trazadone so I’ve been prescribed it once, just never actually taken it. Is it worth me saying during my medical or should I just not mention it?

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Hi, I’m wanting to join the army and have applied, I now have my medical on Thursday over the phone. I’m a little worried as a few months ago I was prescribed trazadone as I couldn’t sleep and it give me slight anxiety. Anyway, when talking to my doctor and discussing how I feel we decided I’m feeling ok and not actually needing it, I never actually ended up taking the trazadone so I’ve been prescribed it once, just never actually taken it. Is it worth me saying during my medical or should I just not mention it?
With respect, there is no evidence that you didn’t take them. However there is a wider point. A doctor prescribed them to you for good reason and that prescription will be on your record.

The application form and post interview caution stipulates it is a condition of entry into the Army that any changes in personal circumstances must be reported to your AFCO.

Further ; If you join with a condition that is found to be an undeclared but pre-existing medical condition or course of medication, then you can face prosecution as well as being medically discharged.

With respect, there is no evidence that you didn’t take them. However there is a wider point. A doctor prescribed them to you for good reason and that prescription will be on your record.

The application form and post interview caution stipulates it is a condition of entry into the Army that any changes in personal circumstances must be reported to your AFCO.

Further ; If you join with a condition that is found to be an undeclared but pre-existing medical condition or course of medication, then you can face prosecution as well as being medically discharged.
Thank you! I was just wondering if I needed to bring up any medication that I was prescribed in the past. If they ask my about past medical problems I will tell the truth about it, I just wanted to know if it would completely disqualify me from joining.

Hi
I am wondering if you could get a fail based on GP questionnaire and the whole application stopped at that stage or you would still be invited for an army medical assessment for a more in depth look at any highlighted condition in the records?
Many thanks

We certainly discharged a few who were classed as "defect on enlistment"
Some would have been acceptable conditions, however as they had lied - they were binned.

Bob65

Old-Salt
Hi
I am wondering if you could get a fail based on GP questionnaire and the whole application stopped at that stage or you would still be invited for an army medical assessment for a more in depth look at any highlighted condition in the records?
Many thanks
Yes, you can be failed at that stage. Almost everyone on here asking about an appeal is in that situation so you have plenty of advice to read! Whether you will be or not you won’t know until you try...

Hi I know this is probably a long shot but only thing I can do is ask anyway. I'm currently in joining process for the army Reserves but I currently have orthodontics braces and had them on for 2 years now was suppose to have them off this year but with current situation will be long which I don't mind everyone needs keep safe during this pandemic.
Anyway my question is can I still go through Phase 1 Alpha and Beav

Hi there, I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right place so I apologize if I havnt.

I have a few questions id like to ask,
Firstly, I am interested in joining the army reserves, but I am worried that I will not pass my medical. You see, I am 27yo, when I was 18 I was in a car accident and fractured my L5 Vertebrae (spinal fracture) I did not have any surgery and recovered perfectly. I have not had any problems or back aches since the accident(9years). 4 years ago (2016) I applied for the Royal Marines Regulars, I passed my tests and interview but failed on the medical, because of my previous spinal fracture.
Now 4 years later I have moved on with my life have a child and have a career in construction so joining the military full time would not be for me. Hence why I would like to join the army as a reservist.
The only problem is, would I fail my medical again if I applied for the army? I am a very fit lad, I'm regularly in the gym (not recently due to Covid-19) and run 3 times a week.

I understand that the reason they may have failed my medical last time might have been due to how physically demanding the royal marines would have been on my body. But in the army as a reservist, What would the chances be that I would fail it again?

Secondly,
What is Deployment like in the reserves, is it regular deployments? And also are they Compulsory?

thanks

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Hi there, I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right place so I apologize if I havnt.

Firstly, I am interested in joining the army reserves, but I am worried that I will not pass my medical. You see, I am 27yo, when I was 18 I was in a car accident and fractured my L5 Vertebrae (spinal fracture) I did not have any surgery and recovered perfectly. I have not had any problems or back aches since the accident(9years). 4 years ago (2016) I applied for the Royal Marines Regulars, I passed my tests and interview but failed on the medical, because of my previous spinal fracture.
Now 4 years later I have moved on with my life have a child and have a career in construction so joining the military full time would not be for me. Hence why I would like to join the army as a reservist.
The only problem is, would I fail my medical again if I applied for the army? I am a very fit lad, I'm regularly in the gym (not recently due to Covid-19) and run 3 times a week.

I understand that the reason they may have failed my medical last time might have been due to how physically demanding the royal marines would have been on my body. But in the army as a reservist, What would the chances be that I would fail it again?

Secondly,
What is Deployment like in the reserves, is it regular deployments? And also are they Compulsory?

thanks
Here are the two paragraphs within the JSP 950 that are relevant :

45. Spinal fracture. Candidates with resolved spinous and transverse process fractures, or functionally insignificant fractures, are FIT. Any history of other spinal fractures, including wedge fractures of the vertebral body, are normally UNFIT
46. Previous spinal surgery. Candidates with a history of any orthopaedic spinal surgery are normally UNFIT. However, candidates who have had a single-level discectomy (eg for sequestered disc) may be FIT subject to referral to SSMES responsible for the selection of recruits providing the candidate is at least 12 months post-operation, is asymptomatic when undertaking activity comparable with military service and has been doing so for at least 3 months and there is no evidence of treatment or injury related secondary effects.

I hope this helps.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Secondly,

thanks
Medical requirements are same for reserves and regulars.

If you were unfit for the regulars due to a spinal fracture then you will be unfit to join the reserves.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hi I know this is probably a long shot but only thing I can do is ask anyway. I'm currently in joining process for the army Reserves but I currently have orthodontics braces and had them on for 2 years now was suppose to have them off this year but with current situation will be long which I don't mind everyone needs keep safe during this pandemic.
Anyway my question is can I still go through Phase 1 Alpha and Beav
For reserves should not be a problem if not in active treatment.

There's still a bit of confusion about when routine dentistry and especially orthodontics will resume and may differ in different parts of the UK

Bob65

Old-Salt

Secondly,

thanks
Here's how it works basically: you start your application on the Army website and give them some details. This is free, no obligation, and will take less than half an hour. They will give you a form to give to your GP, your GP will fill it in and send it back to them. Some time after that, a decision will be made and you can decide at that point what you want to do.

What I'm saying is, worrying about whether you will fail is no reason not to apply. Your total investment of time will be less than an hour and mainly determined by how far from your GP you live! That is a general piece of advice for everyone asking a similar question.

The standards are the same for regulars and reservists. You are unlikely to face a truly compulsory deployment unless there is an existential threat to the UK or other national-level emergency.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Medical requirements are same for reserves and regulars.

If you were unfit for the regulars due to a spinal fracture then you will be unfit to join the reserves.
Sorry but this is not correct. There are differences in which the RN/RM operates a single service policy unique to their service.

The RM tend to be more stringent with regard lower limb and lower back injuries. Also take into account the time now lapsed.

Latest Threads